Cultivated Reef

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

1 minute ago, debbeach13 said:

Good answer. I wish I had thought of that. 

Back of my mind though ...

If the world ends, solar panels sound like a good idea 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Now the ice cream truck is in front of the house. Which of course makes me want ice cream. Wish I had a paint gun. 

Get the ninja turtle one half melted with the gumball eye on the chin 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Now the ice cream truck is in front of the house. Which of course makes me want ice cream. Wish I had a paint gun. 

I definitely picked up a big bucket of ice cream when stocking up earlier this week

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

@Dirté Sanchez  that's major for Dallas

Screenshot_20200319-153415_Chrome.thumb.jpg.998f112788f2bcc5853f9e5a5cdba13f.jpg

Yeah but the whole Medical Center went to no visitors or in our case to parents only way earlier. Parkland should have cut it off sooner.

2 hours ago, wiigelec said:

How does that compare to a normal census?

My hospital has around 100 ICU (or icu capable beds) which is a lot 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

It's fairly standard for ICU units to remain mostly-empty, to an extent that many hospitals in the United States have single-digits, none, or only partially-equipped retrofits. ( Hospitals in non-nationalized or socialized settings build and employ for profit and run near-capacity 24-7)

To answer your question more directly, it's higher, because there's a virus sending 1 in 5 to the ER - which is more than usual...

Our ICUs tend to run at 80-100% capacity in normal times 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Yeah but the whole Medical Center went to no visitors or in our case to parents only way earlier. Parkland should have cut it off sooner.

Our hospital is supposed to be the best in the state and everyone went no visitors like 3 days before us. My hospital is being so stupid right now. 

• Like 4
squamptonbc
1 hour ago, William said:

Pretty much the same here with the hospitals with ICU's, close to capacity at all times. We are socialized system, but hospitals are run independently of the government.

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Our hospital is supposed to be the best in the state and everyone went no visitors like 3 days before us. My hospital is being so stupid right now. 

You see the CDC said we should use bandanas as masks in the event of a lack of supplies?? 🤬 For real thats not gonna do crap to protect us. And god forbid all the people that stockpiled masks like donate them to hospitals or EMS....

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, William said:

My hospital has around 100 ICU (or icu capable beds) which is a lot 

That's actually whats got me the most concerned, big hospitals run near-capacity, in-part because the load from smaller hospitals and rural-areas get shifted, Italy had a massive per-capita advantage in ICU, equipment, professionals and outbreaks centered in areas with ready-access to some of their best facilities and they're still seeing rates of complication and mortality much higher than reported in China. 
New York is calling for federal-intervention and the construction of temporary-centers and hospitals via the natl-guard and corp-of-engineers, but that seems far-fetched considering the slow and reactive response from federal and private entities alike right now in the states. 
What does that mean for the people in rural areas if there's an outbreak... The US is so unique in its' infrastructure and sprawling-size and not, in any way, equipped to deal with an outbreak of something like this...

Those in my family who work pharmacy and as hospitalists are already swamped with no idea what they're going to do as more and more urgent-cares shutter-up and direct people to hospitals.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

You see the CDC said we should use bandanas as masks in the event of a lack of supplies?? 🤬 For real thats not gonna do crap to protect us. And god forbid all the people that stockpiled masks like donate them to hospitals or EMS....

probably just said that to give people a false sense of comfort. 🙄

I saw two people in public with masks and gloves today and they were both in their 20's.

I saw one frail looking man (with nothing on) in his 80's? looking lost while shopping and I felt worried for him. If that was my grandparent I would tell them to stay home and drop off supplies at their door. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
ECLS Reefer
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I saw two people in public with masks and gloves today and they were both in their 20's.

I saw one frail looking man (with nothing on) in his 80's? looking lost while shopping and I felt worried for him. If that was my grandparent I would tell them to stay home and drop off supplies at their door. 

Yes you should have seen the teenagers on the trip I took to NYC last week. A quarter of them had masks and gloves. I’d say another half actively razzed them for it and the last 25% wished they had some too. I wanted to tell them to give those masks to an elderly person so bad.

Thrassian Atoll

Have you seen this?  Apparently this stuff helps kill coronavirus symptoms or something and is selling at extremely high prices.  

69029493-ACEA-4234-BE1C-07C3517D838D.thumb.jpeg.0ede972fd312648735e0bde2931d29be.jpeg

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Have you seen this?  Apparently this stuff helps relieve coronavirus symptoms or something and is selling at extremely high prices.  

69029493-ACEA-4234-BE1C-07C3517D838D.thumb.jpeg.0ede972fd312648735e0bde2931d29be.jpeg

Ya I have the same bottle of it I bought for 12 bucks for my fish a few months ago. 

No way would I take fish medication. Selling it for 600 bucks feels like I am scamming someone. 

It's because some article said CP showed 'promise'... It is a antimalarial drug we use on fish for disease.

• Like 5
Thrassian Atoll
Just now, Tamberav said:

Ya I have a bottle of it I bought for 10 bucks for my fish a few months ago. 

No way would I take fish medication. 

I don’t think The Who or CDC have come out and said it directly, but there seems to be a malaria medication that they think is helping in some form and is most likely chloroquine Phosphate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/03/19/sales-of-fish-tank-additive-skyrocket-after-studies-say-it-could-treat-coronavirus/amp/

28 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya it's so sad.

I won't let my dad go out to get things. I go get it and drop it off at his door or he grabs it from my door- we live in the same building. 

I won't even go near him, better safe than sorry.

We have a lot of volunteer services offering seniors services to pick up pharmaceuticals/groceries so they don't have to leave home

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

I don’t think The Who or CDC have come out and said it directly, but there seems to be a malaria medication that they think is helping in some form and is most likely chloroquine Phosphate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/03/19/sales-of-fish-tank-additive-skyrocket-after-studies-say-it-could-treat-coronavirus/amp/

Well that is a fish med and the real purity is unknown. It was made for pets, not human consumption. It wasn't even made in the USA, was just shit imported from china as you need a prescription in the USA for it. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Its chloroquine. It's used for malaria and even rheumatoid arthritis.

They are also looking into 2 other drugs used for rheumatoid arthritis, 1 is regeneron.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Well that is a fish med and purity is unknown. It was made for pets, not human consumption. It wasn't even made in the USA, was just shit imported from china as you need a prescription in the USA for it. 

Oh, I believe it.  Crazy that people have actually bid it to that price though.  

2 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Well ebay policies dont protect sellers well so they could just win it then claim the seller sent them a empty bottle or something. 

5 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

There are scammers out there trying to bank on a crisis.

I couldn't live with myself knowing I ripped off someone in need.

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Well ebay policies dont protect sellers well so they could just win it then claim the seller sent them a empty bottle or something. 

I don’t eBay really ever so I would not doubt that.  Just thought it was crazy that I am sure some people have sitting on their shelf.