Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

ECLS Reefer
16 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya I have the same bottle of it I bought for 12 bucks for my fish a few months ago. 

No way would I take fish medication. Selling it for 600 bucks feels like I am scamming someone. 

It's because some article said CP showed 'promise'... It is a antimalarial drug we use on fish for disease.

I saw that the FDA is investigating its benefits today. I was surprised when I saw we were trotting out old fashioned remedies.

Just now, Lypto said:

Good lord, why sleep in an N95?

You don't want to google the list of conditions I ended up with or how I got there lol. Long-story short at night I become so sensitive to irritants that even the smell of dinner from hours-prior can become overwhelming, causing bronchialspasms and the need for my rescue nebulizer. Also it's an N99 with cloth and an additional-insert, allot harder to breathe in than an N95 XD When I'm having a bad-spell I essentially have to live in them, even day-to-day stuff like shopping pretty-much mandates a mask to deal with irritants and strong smells.

• Sad 5
6 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I missed that comment SURELY he's joking. N95s are AWFUL

Lol, it's some kind of joke for sure, but not a particularly-kind or funny one.

• Sad 3

It’s gonna be thunder dome at the grocery stores tomorrow....hopefully the national guard will be there to monitor excessive purchases and work the cash registers 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, Sancho said:

It’s gonna be thunder dome at the grocery stores tomorrow....hopefully the national guard will be there to monitor excessive purchases and work the cash registers 

That sounds aweful, it was tame here today. 

33 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

That sounds aweful, it was tame here today. 

I went to the store this afternoon...it wants too terrible.. grocery stores here finally limited the amount of stuff you can buy so most of the isles had stock people seemed to finally calm down over the last couple days l...with the Governor’s announcement today I fear that people are going to go into panic mode again 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, William said:

My hospital has around 100 ICU (or icu capable beds) which is a lot 

That's alot. Thank goodness ours only has 8 or 9, it will never get very busy here.

7 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Have you seen this?  Apparently this stuff helps kill coronavirus symptoms or something and is selling at extremely high prices.  

69029493-ACEA-4234-BE1C-07C3517D838D.thumb.jpeg.0ede972fd312648735e0bde2931d29be.jpeg

I would be more inclined to try a probiotic. Some family members of mine work in healthcare and were exposed to patients with no ppe who later tested positive. My wife was also exposed to her Co workers who dealt with positive patients with no ppe. Sure enough we began to have symptoms, aches, eyes start to hurt and itch, tiredness, gastro intestinal issues, muscle cramps, although no fever or cough but the effects subsided within days. 

I will never know if we had it because they refused to test but if we did we can only guess that it's worth a try to take a pro biotic to help fight it. It seems too help your gut kill off any viruses easier and it's cheap enough to give it a try.

• Like 1
squamptonbc

My local store has a new COVID policy in place.

- No Cash

- Reduced Hours

- Suspending live stock orders both into the store and customer shipping due to massive cut backs in international air travel.

- Offering curbside pick up.

- Order online and pick up curbside.  (they have always offered online sales)

- Limiting customers in store to 5 people, max of 3 in livestock room and asking to stay 6 feet away from staff.

- Suspending coral trade program

Other stores are doing similiar no cash, limiting how many can be in the store, asking people not to browse and linger.

My other primary LFS is going to an essentials only pick up only service for now, but may close to wait this thing out.

• Wow 2
ECLS Reefer
On 3/20/2020 at 3:19 AM, roblox84 said:

That's alot. Thank goodness ours only has 8 or 9, it will never get very busy here.

You said you work with Mt Sinai? is that one facility you’re saying has 100 beds? 

We have 136 beds I believe plus 60 some odd NICU beds and something like 24 split between two community facilities. But ours are for kids.

• Wow 2
ECLS Reefer
6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Well it happened...people are dying from taking fish medication. CP is no joke. Don't self medicate. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166

I don’t understand why anyone would take a med for animals without a proper dose for humans or recommendations or what. That’s an insane risk.

• Like 5

Well I can confirm that the corona quarantine has dramatically increased my reef related spending (can’t go to bars...🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 4
On 3/21/2020 at 11:59 AM, squamptonbc said:

My local store has a new COVID policy in place.

- No Cash

- Reduced Hours

- Suspending live stock orders both into the store and customer shipping due to massive cut backs in international air travel.

- Offering curbside pick up.

- Order online and pick up curbside.  (they have always offered online sales)

- Limiting customers in store to 5 people, max of 3 in livestock room and asking to stay 6 feet away from staff.

- Suspending coral trade program

Other stores are doing similiar no cash, limiting how many can be in the store, asking people not to browse and linger.

My other primary LFS is going to an essentials only pick up only service for now, but may close to wait this thing out.

Wow..mine are just closed 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

actual stores (groceries, pharmacies) or LFS are we talking about here?  

Pretty much everything is closed with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies, Costco, Walmart and a handful of liquor stores..the local LFS closed yesterday and don’t know when they will open....I went to the doctor today and it’s an absolute ghost town here 

ECLS Reefer
1 minute ago, Sancho said:

Pretty much everything is closed with the exception of grocery stores, pharmacies, Costco, Walmart and a handful of liquor stores..the local LFS closed yesterday and don’t know when they will open....I went to the doctor today and it’s an absolute ghost town here 

I’m surprised the doctor let you in. If you’ve traveled or have ANY symptoms like corona you have to either do a virtual office visit or go to the ER.