Cultivated Reef

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

7 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I’m surprised the doctor let you in. If you’ve traveled or have ANY symptoms like corona you have to either do a virtual office visit or go to the ER. 

It’s been a giant PITA, the doctor told me last week to self quarantine. They tested for flu and sent out a respiratory test. She said if those test come back negative then they’d test for covid..well everything came back negative, she still doesn’t think it’s covid and won’t approve a test due to the shortage. Coughed up a little blood yesterday, she said to come in for a chest x-ray...had an appointment this morning and what do you know the x-ray tech called in sick 🙄 I went to the urgent care and there was a 3 hour wait to be seen....f it I’m going home...apparently they will have an x-ray tech tomorrow at my doctors office 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
28 minutes ago, Sancho said:

It’s been a giant PITA, the doctor told me last week to self quarantine. They tested for flu and sent out a respiratory test. She said if those test come back negative then they’d test for covid..well everything came back negative, she still doesn’t think it’s covid and won’t approve a test due to the shortage. Coughed up a little blood yesterday, she said to come in for a chest x-ray...had an appointment this morning and what do you know the x-ray tech called in sick 🙄 I went to the urgent care and there was a 3 hour wait to be seen....f it I’m going home...apparently they will have an x-ray tech tomorrow at my doctors office 

That sucks!!! I hope you get your X-ray tomorrow!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Coughing up blood is a big deal, was it frank red blood (mostly blood), or was it pink/red streaked/stained? 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, William said:

Coughing up blood is a big deal, was it frank red blood (mostly blood), or was it pink/red streaked/stained? 

Pink

42 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Pink

Yea, while concerning, it’s not an acute medical emergency. You should still try and get an X-ray soon though. 

ECLS Reefer
8 minutes ago, William said:

Yea, while concerning, it’s not an acute medical emergency. You should still try and get an X-ray soon though. 

And quit smoking 🤭

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Crap here is such a contradiction.

Stay home, don't go out but people have to work- they are financially covered if sick/quarantine

All non essential businesses are now closed as of today- then you see the list of essential businesses listed, its mostly everything. 

It excludes things like cinema's, clothing stores, craft stores, you get the idea. 

• Like 1

Well our country is officially going into lockdown. It's uncertain though if LFS's are allowed to be open. The one LFS I used whilst in Port Elizabeth sent a message out offering 30% off on all livestock and advised people to stock up in case.

3 hours ago, Sancho said:

Hope everything comes back okay and you get better soon.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Well our country is officially going into lockdown. It's uncertain though if LFS's are allowed to be open. The one LFS I used whilst in Port Elizabeth sent a message out offering 30% off on all livestock and advised people to stock up in case.

Hope everything comes back okay and you get better soon.

Ditto, although its still not enforced yet. 

LFS have been classed as "first line services" and are allowed to stay open, many wont be selling livestock though

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ditto, although its still not enforced yet. 

LFS have been classed as "first line services" and are allowed to stay open, many wont be selling livestock though

I had the list sent to me last night at work. LFS will have to close and has 72hrs to do so. They have staggered some things for example building sites have to close unless part of a major infrastructure project, but have 4 days to make safe, remove unneeded equipment and scaffolding etc.

The guys here in the British transport police have been told to police station entry to workers without a government letter from midnight Thursday.

The government clearly are working to get everything not essential to be locked down by Friday night.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Picogoby said:

I had the list sent to me last night at work. LFS will have to close and has 72hrs to do so. They have staggered some things for example building sites have to close unless part of a major infrastructure project, but have 4 days to make safe, remove unneeded equipment and scaffolding etc.

The guys here in the British transport police have been told to police station entry to workers without a government letter from midnight Thursday.

The government clearly are working to get everything not essential to be locked down by Friday night.

Shops that are exempt from the Government's ban are food retailers, pharmacies, hardware stores, corner shops, petrol stations, shops in hospital, post offices, banks, newsagents, laundrettes and pet shops.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Shops that are exempt from the Government's ban are food retailers, pharmacies, hardware stores, corner shops, petrol stations, shops in hospital, post offices, banks, newsagents, laundrettes and pet shops.

Interesting the email I got from the DFT last night did not list pet shops or hardware shops???

Interesting the email I got from the DFT last night did not list pet shops or hardware shops???

My company are part of the government help to buy scheme, got an email from Boris's secretary 

So a list of shops to stay open and free bog roll

2 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

Yep it is confusing!!!! 

Just now, Ratvan said:

My company are part of the government help to buy scheme, got an email from Boris's secretary 

Did you get the government letters for your employees??

Did you get the government letters for your employees??

Not yet, I think after Friday we will have to shut down. I got 14 people moving in this weekend. I need to stay at work otherwise they'll effectively be homeless

• Wow 4
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Some real strange stuff going on! My wife works in construction and as you know all companies have to allocate a certain amount to help to buy, council etc (sorry I get a bit bored when she talks about it) but they are closing all sites following a board meeting this morning with all the information they had.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Fear makes people do really stupid things...like stockpiling toilet paper. Like seriously what are you gonna do with 671 rolls of toilet paper?!! I Guess they could mummify themselves with it in 2078 (facepalm). Now eggs are nowhere to be found. This pandemic is serious. Many people (mostly elderly people) will most likely die. I'm in Québec (canada) and the prime minister didn't wait. Everything except grocery stores and pharmacies are pretty much closed. Take out food is ok. People are asked to stay home and avoid gatherings. Yet many people (young and old) are not listening. I'm a nurse and I'm 5 months pregnant with my 3rd and I'm scared, worried and fed up!! We are treated like dirt by the gouvernment, we are running out of masks (all kinds), purell and gloves. Nurses working in the er are not allowed to wear masks because there's simply not enough. I'm "lucky" because I work in a nursing home, but the moment we get a case, it's game over. People need to listen!! Otherwise everyone is screwed and we'll end up like Italy...so I bought myself a treat, went online and got some corals, should be here tomorrow😁

Sorry for the rant...hormones lol

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
Snow_Phoenix
9 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Fear makes people do really stupid things...like stockpiling toilet paper. Like seriously what are you gonna do with 671 rolls of toilet paper?!! I Guess they could mummify themselves with it in 2078 (facepalm). Now eggs are nowhere to be found. This pandemic is serious. Many people (mostly elderly people) will most likely die. I'm in Québec (canada) and the prime minister didn't wait. Everything except grocery stores and pharmacies are pretty much closed. Take out food is ok. People are asked to stay home and avoid gatherings. Yet many people (young and old) are not listening. I'm a nurse and I'm 5 months pregnant with my 3rd and I'm scared, worried and fed up!! We are treated like dirt by the gouvernment, we are running out of masks (all kinds), purell and gloves. Nurses working in the er are not allowed to wear masks because there's simply not enough. I'm "lucky" because I work in a nursing home, but the moment we get a case, it's game over. People need to listen!! Otherwise everyone is screwed and we'll end up like Italy...so I bought myself a treat, went online and got some corals, should be here tomorrow😁

Well, we ran out of bread here. Bread factories and deliveries are operating as usual, but now people are actually *hoarding bread. I don't even know why, because bread expires within 5 days in my country. After 5 days, it literally develops fungus (possibly due to our humid, tropical weather) and is inedible anyway. What are they doing - freezing the loaves? I honestly have no clue. 🤷‍♀️

And do take care. Face masks are nearly impossible to find here, but my family is incredibly lucky because my father has a small supply of them in his clinic, so he could bring a few of them home for us to use. Pharmacies have doubled/tripled the prices of hand sanitizers though. So we might make our own instead of getting one large bottle off the shelf. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

It is pretty sad and must be concerning for those who know someone at risk of infection. Postal service is more or less overwhelmed over here at the moment. Big delays on orders, I know some of the uk distributors are no longer offering a postage option. Couple of UK forums have closed the sales threads completely as well.  Fully expecting that the mail service to stop for all but necessary mail

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
21 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

He believed the president, a common mistake Americans seem to make.

Well I’m 100% certain the president did not encourage anyone to ingest fish medicine. Chloroquine is a legitimate prescription medication approved for other uses, and as with all prescription medications, should only be taken as prescribed by ones healthcare provider, and should only be used if it’s actual medication that has been safely produced for human use. 

• Like 4