ReefCleaners.org

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

squamptonbc
3 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Our lfs are still open. Considered an essential business. Some are only online orders, others still offering walk in with less ppl in stores, shortened hrs, only dry good available and fish rooms closed.

Most are still open here, although a few dog and cat oriented pet stores chose to close rather than stay open. Most of the fish stores have restricted access to their stores in some fashion though such as nobody allowed in the fish room, or curbside pick up only after ordering online, only letting 2 or 3 people into the store at once, that type of thing.

Not sure if business is good though, so many out of work these days, fish buying is probably low priority for many.

I was literally almost ready to add livestock to my 15 gallon flex when all this went down, sudden unemployment with no sign I will be employed anytime soon. It's in the closet now empty waiting for better times.

• Sad 2

Just spoke with a friend of mine whose cousin, who is in her 50s, is on a ventilator in the ICU for COVID-19 right now. It happened fast. Family cannot visit, no one would answer their calls to provide any information at all on her status. Luckily they were able to reach the hospital chaplain who was able to go to the unit and ask someone to contact them with an update. 

• Sad 2
30 minutes ago, Lypto said:

I really hope that people who catch this don't face stigma once they recover. 

Some may have bigger issues to worry about, the fallout from ARDs can cause all kinds of nasty, and permanent, life-altering complications; chance for short and mid-term complications, bronchiectasis, actually I'll just post a link.
People are probably getting tired of me hammering how big a deal this actually is over and over.
http://rc.rcjournal.com/content/61/5/689
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5757654/

Stigma post-recovery might crop-up, potentially since reinfection seems to be a distinct-possibility as our bodies are very poor at developing and maintaining immunity to coronavirus'.

@banasophia
I really hope your friend recovers quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Poison Dart Frog

Even being unconscious for one week on a ventilator and people wake up basically unable to even raise their arms. Even if you dont get lung scarring, you can end up being transferred to a step down hospital for weeks to months relearning to walk and use your limbs. I think people are remaining on a ventilator for weeks with this virus so if it gets bad enough to need to be on a ventilator there is a good chance it will be life changing permanently. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
This guy is extra salty

I'm doing my part for this virus, I wasn't expecting that I would be but im now doing an emergency order of sneeze guards for cashiers at the grocery stores (schnucks so far) 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I'm doing my part for this virus, I wasn't expecting that I would be but im now doing an emergency order of sneeze guards for cashiers at the grocery stores (schnucks so far) 

Oh wow, what do you mean? Is this something you’re making? 

squamptonbc

I've only been going out for groceries as I can never get an online delivery slot or online pick up slot, otherwise I wouldn't leave my apartment at all.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, squamptonbc said:

I've only been going out for groceries as I can never get an online delivery slot or online pick up slot, otherwise I wouldn't leave my apartment at all.

Yeah... we’ve been trying to get our groceries delivered through amazon prime now, but they’ve been out of milk, eggs, bread, and fresh veggies for a while now... if it comes to it we can give that stuff up, but I’m hoping we won’t have to break into our emergency protein bars for meals this early on. The hubs left the house yesterday briefly for some groceries so we were able to replenish some supplies. I really want to get a couple chickens for fresh eggs, but he isn’t agreeing to that yet.

I’m really not happy at the moment as it looks like my distilled water deliveries for my tank water just got cut back... have to call them tomorrow. There’s an issue with my water supply that my RODI filter isn’t filtering out some kind of contaminant so I can’t just make my own water. 

1 minute ago, Lypto said:

If you do It might be fun to get a quail! you can hatch them from asian grocery store eggs and they're super adorable.

They are, but the eggs are so tiny. Would be fun to keep though! Have you ever raised them? 

I go nowhere besides for grocery. 

Even with delivery there is risk.

I get what I can and do what I can with it. 

Pasta, canned soup, tp, eggs, are hard to get.

Meat, fresh veggies, frozen foods lots of that available but I can't eat most frozen foods/canned soups. 

My hubby is still working because well we don't have kids, he isn't sick, and pretty much 95% of businesses here are classified as essential.

there is no financial aid unless layed off, sick, or at home taking care of kids/sick ppl. 

He would rather be home. 

• Like 2

I have not raised quail but there's lot's of videos on it and I fed a few that seemed nice. I think the infection rates are much higher when the person gets initially sick right? Huge amounts of viral particles in mucus before the symptoms get bad.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lypto said:

I really hope that people who catch this don't face stigma once they recover. 

There has been stigma against anyone in scrubs like people walking up and spraying them with Lysol. Does it not occur to them that just because they have on scrubs doesn't mean they have went to work yet? 

Abuse the health care...ya good idea... Some guy was spitting on nurses...ya. Then the nurses get sick and they have to stay home sick and more short staff issues or they pass it on and more deaths. Purposely coughing on people when you are oriented should be puniniable by law.

I would be asking for 4 point restrains and a mask on that pt and some IM haldol with the biggest needle I can find at that point. A covid + pt purposely coughing on people might as well be a weapon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

There has been stigma against anyone in scrubs like people walking up and spraying them with Lysol. Does it not occur to them that just because they have on scrubs doesn't mean they have went to work yet? 

Abuse the health care...ya good idea... Some guy was spitting on nurses...ya. Then the nurses get sick and they have to stay home sick and more short staff issues or they pass it on and more deaths. Purposely coughing on people when you are oriented should be puniniable by law.

I would be asking for 4 point restrains and a mask on that pt and some IM haldol with the biggest needle I can find at that point. A covid + pt purposely coughing on people might as well be a weapon.

That's such deplorable behaviour.

Nurses and Dr's are risking their lives everyday, they are trying to keep others alive while putting themselves at risk. 

Ppl that behave in such a manner have 0 respect!

• Like 2
squamptonbc
12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I go nowhere besides for grocery. 

Even with delivery there is risk.

I get what I can and do what I can with it. 

Pasta, canned soup, tp, eggs, are hard to get.

Meat, fresh veggies, frozen foods lots of that available but I can't eat most frozen foods/canned soups. 

My hubby is still working because well we don't have kids, he isn't sick, and pretty much 95% of businesses here are classified as essential.

there is no financial aid unless layed off, sick, or at home taking care of kids/sick ppl. 

He would rather be home. 

We have started to reduce how much we eat, skipping lunch to conserve food so we don't need to go out, we can't get any delivery time slots as none of our local stores ever seem to have any available, and I'd rather not venture into a store at the moment, most have long lines to even get in, not sure standing in a line is wise, even if 6 feet from one another, seems too risky.

Amazon is sold out of pretty much everything food wise it seems.

Our landlord wont work with us, so we put a stop payment on the cheque, we offered $1,450 so we would have $300 to get through the next month for food and other needs, but landlord said nope, so fine we wont pay anything then. BC is not permitting evictions at the moment, so hoping the landlord will wise up and realize a slight reduction for a couple months is a sensible solution so we can eat.

Our landlord is beyond wealthy, so I don't feel sorry for him. They own several thousand units in the city, a couple luxury hotels, building several condo buildings. 

I take it your husband must have a job that can't be done at home at all?

Vancouver is more or less a ghost town, even transit is mostly empty these days, not much open beyond healthcare related places, grocery stores, pet stores, and restaurants with take out.  They ordered more places to close last week like salons, barbers, tattoo places, massage places and such, and yesterday announced they will start to fine businesses and people not following public health orders, including possible jail time, the government is losing patience, the BC Gov't will also begin to take over part of the supply chain for essential needs, stores and suppliers will need to report inventory of essential products like food, and medical supplies, so they are evenly distributed where needed. The supply chain seems to be slowing down, and some areas have plenty of food, and other areas stores are running very low, and they don't want people having to go all over the place to get things, taxi's are shutting down or cutting back significantly, drivers are not getting enough fares to justify them paying the daily taxi fee, uber had just stated here about 1 1/2 months ago so had limited service which is more limited now as drivers who were doing it, seem to not be willing to take the risk.

Up to 725 cases in BC now, we seem to go up 40-75 a day on average.

We have started to reduce how much we eat, skipping lunch to conserve food so we don't need to go out, we can't get any delivery time slots as none of our local stores ever seem to have any available, and I'd rather not venture into a store at the moment, most have long lines to even get in, not sure standing in a line is wise, even if 6 feet from one another, seems too risky.

Our landlord wont work with us, so we put a stop payment on the cheque, we offered $1,450 so we would have $300 to get through the next month for food and other needs, but landlord said nope, so fine we wont pay anything then. BC is not permitting evictions at the moment, so hoping the landlord will wise up and realize a slight reduction for a couple months is a sensible solution so we can eat.

Our landlord is beyond wealthy, so I don't feel sorry for him. They own several thousand units in the city, a couple luxury hotels, building several condo buildings. 

Vancouver is more or less a ghost town, even transit is mostly empty these days, not much open beyond healthcare related places, grocery stores, pet stores, and restaurants with take out.  They ordered more places to close last week like salons, barbers, tattoo places, massage places and such, and yesterday announced they will start to fine businesses and people not following public health orders, including possible jail time, the government is losing patience, the BC Gov't will also begin to take over part of the supply chain for essential needs, stores and suppliers will need to report inventory of essential products like food, and medical supplies, so they are evenly distributed where needed. The supply chain seems to be slowing down, and some areas have plenty of food, and other areas stores are running very low, and they don't want people having to go all over the place to get things, taxi's are shutting down or cutting back significantly, drivers are not getting enough fares to justify them paying the daily taxi fee, uber had just stated here about 1 1/2 months ago so had limited service which is more limited now as drivers who were doing it, seem to not be willing to take the risk.

That sucks, my landlord reached out and asked if there was any problems economically for us and if there was something he could do to help. It could be he just wanted to secretly know if he was going to get the rent... but in the back of my mind I am hoping he was going to say late payments would be ok. I am a nurse though soo... hi ho hi ho its off to work I go.

• Like 3

My hubby did groceries yesterday. He said there were 3 customers in the whole store.

The government hasn't done much for renters but rather for home owners- not realistic since rent here is more than most ppl's mortgage payments.

Nope, my hubby's job can't be done from home. Other ppl in his company could but not his job.

Ya we are at 998 here and awaiting results. It's taking too long for results.

My hubby did groceries yesterday. He said there were 3 customers in the whole store.

The government hasn't done much for renters but rather for home owners- not realistic since rent here is more than most ppl's mortgage payments.

my hubby's job can't be done from home. Other ppl in his company could but not his job.

squamptonbc
2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Nope, my hubby's job can't be done from home. Other ppl in his company could but not his job.

my hubby's job can't be done from home. Other ppl in his company could but not his job.

Amusing how it posted twice, anyhow grocery stores out my way in Vancouver are still pretty busy, one of the few industries still hiring really, but high risk since its so busy at most of them.

BC is starting up some program for some renters for up to $500 paid towards rent, but the program wont be up and running til April, and not everyone will qualify and they haven't released the criteria yet, but doubt it will benefit us in anyway, so far none of the announced programs will.

Job loses are mounting, airport announced that between the various companies there, 13,000 people have been laid off, about 50% of total that work there, and another 4,000 laid off as they have postponed/stopped work on the terminal expansion.

Rent in Vancouver is about the same, most renters here pay 50-60% of their income on rent, so even those who get EI, chances are they wont have enough coming in to cover rent, we have enough for rent luckily, but leaves $6.67 per day to cover every other expense in life... Tough times, the economists seem to think BC will be getting into 10-15% unemployment range, if that happens jobs will be very difficult to find.

I was in aviation so lets just say, I don't expect to work anytime soon, did apply to some grocery stores and healthcare supply warehouse jobs the province is hiring for on a temporary basis.

I guess one silver lining of good news, is the provincial models are showing a 12% rate day to day of new infections and well below the 24% they initially were expecting so that is keeping hospitals in good shape, only 60 out of 725 needing hospital admission and our infection rate is well below the US so that is good too, we have been better in Canada so far, hopefully we continue this and don't get to US level infections, but I do see the US/Canada border being more restricted if it keeps getting bad in the US, total cases there are I think highest in the world now.

Despite what some of my friends and family think about universal healthcare, our system is holding up well in BC. (I am originally from the US, so most of my friends and family live in the US.) and there seems to be more than enough capacity in hospital system to keep up with the projected demand going forward.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, naothan said:

yeah but trump wants people to get back to work by Easter  

If possible, he never said that’s a hard date to get back to normal,it is a hope he has to start getting back to normal, if it’s too soon (which I think it most likely is) it’s to soon and he will prolong the social distancing, shutdown etc.