Innovative Marine Aquariums

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Hi 👋, while I agreed in principles with your overall post here. The biggest thing that struck me the wrong way is the first statement.  We can have hope AND sure could all use it these days, but spreading FALSE hope is not something someone in his position should be doing.  It’s sure as shit that business should not and likely could not be reopened before Easter.  Making public statements one after another  on that idea is just dangerous and causing confusion in the public. Virus doesn’t care if he says when it stops and we can get our lives back. It’ll stop when it runs through its course, ie infect enough people to build enough population immunity, etc, or somehow we found a vaccine before that happens. 

I’ve been saying that all along- probably won’t stop until about 75% of world population has seen it and developed some kind of immunity. IM not defending Trump as our leader or any other brash embarrassing stuff he says, but I bristle at all the negative crap the media is reporting simply because they hate him and everything he stands for. This is not the time to constantly tear down the leaders, regardless of whether they need a fat dose of Thorazine to stay somewhat sane on a daily basis. Does it actually help anyone right now when anxiety is SO high, to take everything he says or Cuomo says or Abbot, or any leader, and immediately pick it apart and scream ITS ALL BS!!! No. 

Like I said I don’t care if you hate him or love him or think he’s nuts and should never be given a microphone, but now isn’t the time to constantly report only negative stuff about him. How does that inspire anything but more anxiety, more unhappiness in a population that’s quickly developing cabin fever and heading for a collective nervous breakdown? 

4 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Well our hospital is now telling us we can come to work sick as long as we don't have serious symptoms. We just have to wear a mask. They said they were going off CDC recommendations. 

Probably because so much staff are out from being exposed that it's not possible to have them all QT and still have staff. 

It is kind of scary to me... to think of myself working sick with covid. The hours are long and stressful and it certainly messes up my immune system. 

I figured this was not far off. They simply can’t function without the beside staff and first responders and it’s not feasible to quarantine them all. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

How does that inspire anything but more anxiety, more unhappiness in a population that’s quickly developing cabin fever and heading for a collective nervous breakdown? 

How does spreading false hope help anyone tho?  When it turned out that his “declarations” don’t come true, that anxiety level would just go up even more unnecessarily.  Managing expectations is what I’d rather be seeing, IMHO. I won’t even ask for any concrete plans.  Just want certain expectations to be realistic, not constantly moving targets/responses/strategies. 

• Like 3

I think this may be a matter of perception or interpretation, they're reporting on what he says, it's not implicitly their fault that what he says is well... what it is, nor does that mean it should simply be ignored - great person fallacies and personality cults are far more dangerous than well-earned criticism, even in times when people are scared. 

There's no easy way to correct misinformation and have the public understand they've been misled or misinformed without explicitly stating as such and there are dangers involved in simply "letting it go", ie. corona-parties, packed beaches, etc., besides that doing so is really missing the point as the issues introduced far outweigh hurting a few folks feelings or otherwise not keeping up the pretense of "things being fine".
Unfortunately the problem is the faults in character and what he's saying and doing, not how it's being reported.

There's a distinct difference between irresponsible reporting and simply trying to keep things honest.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer

Y’all. I get he says some crazy crap— I’ve always thought it was a huge mistake to let him speak in public because I can’t imagine how he even had a TV show. Or became a billionaire. 

I don’t know that it’s necessarily false hope to say by Easter. Maybe because I’m not entirely sure what day Easter is on. I’m not sure what day this is in fact. False hope to me is telling us there’s a chance the virus will disappear tomorrow or we will have a working vaccine next week or the like. We could conceivably have work resume by Easter, if they arrive at the same decision hospitals and fire/EMS, police are all arriving at, which is we won’t survive without keeping our infrastructure going, which means people might have to work exposed instead of quarantine or even sick. I’m no economist so I can’t predict what having people out of work and sitting at home will do to our economy. 

At the same time, the media have been playing a game with taking own or two things he says out of context and blowing it up into something else. Again not to say he doesn’t say some freaky crazy stuff. How interesting it would be, to meet him in person and find out he’s the sanest person you’ve ever met and the media just made him look like that because they hate him? 🤔 Wouldn’t that be ironic. 

And it’s difficult to even recall the last time the media was explicitly honest about any single thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
ECLS Reefer
12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

How does spreading false hope help anyone tho?  When it turned out that his “declarations” don’t come true, that anxiety level would just go up even more unnecessarily.  Managing expectations is what I’d rather be seeing, IMHO. I won’t even ask for any concrete plans.  Just want certain expectations to be realistic, not constantly moving targets/responses/strategies. 

I could get on board with that. He is very black and white with his comments which make it hard to maneuver around.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

became a billionaire. 

Inheritance probably...if a person inherits enough...they can make plenty of stupid investments and idiot moves and bankruptcy...and still come out ahead as long as some of it works out. Ofc we don't know his net worth so maybe he's lost more than he's gained.

He certainly didn't do it on his own with his brain or mouth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
squamptonbc

Our curve here in British Columbia seems to be flattening a bit, and the spread appears to be slowing down, people for the most part have been taking it seriously.

Percentage rate of growth has dropped to about 10% according to the provincial health officer, and since our peak on March 24th our curve has been pretty flat, its not climbing massively, and seems to be slowly dropping.

Of course life wont return to normal here right away, still probably have another month at least and unless the US gets things under control travel between the Canada and the US will be restricted until they do.

Not sure how the rest of Canada is doing, but we are doing well fortunately in BC for the most part and keeping hospitalizations and deaths relatively low and 45% of the confirmed cases have now recovered which is good.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Inheritance probably...if a person inherits enough...they can make plenty of stupid investments and idiot moves and bankruptcy...and still come out ahead as long as some of it works out. Ofc we don't know his net worth so maybe he's lost more than he's gained.

Well... his claimed net-worth is less than if he'd just invested what he inherited from his father, so there's that XD

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
41 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Why couldn’t I have inherited billions. 🤔

• Haha 4
ECLS Reefer
32 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Well... his claimed net-worth is less than if he'd just invested what he inherited from his father, so there's that XD

His show probably bolstered a lot of income for him. Someday in the history books people will look back and wonder how a reality TV star became President.

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
8 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

so why doesn't everyone show off their tank?

day 21 of QT lol!

IMG_2699.JPG

Hey I like your flagstone looking rock structure!

This guy is extra salty
27 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Hey I like your flagstone looking rock structure!

thanks it has a bunch of little caves and tunnels

• Like 2
ECLS Reefer
5 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

thanks it has a bunch of little caves and tunnels

I bet! It’s kind of unique from all the ones I’ve seen.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Why couldn’t I have inherited billions. 🤔

It's okay... you didn't get his billions but you also didn't get his spray-on tan and hair... 

Glass half full 😉

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

so why doesn't everyone show off their tank?

day 21 of QT lol!

IMG_2699.JPG

Looks great - love all your macro! I’m doing my water change now... I’ve been neglecting my tanks some due to lack of motivation (from the stress) and because I’ve been cut back on my distilled water deliveries, so I’m trying to ration my distilled water by dragging out the time between water changes. 

DBB1CEFE-B8E0-49C8-BAC9-F1419401F98C.thumb.jpeg.3160b1153b358823db79cc15a5001bf6.jpeg

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
5 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Looks great - love all your macro! I’m doing my water change now... I’ve been neglecting my tanks some due to lack of motivation (from the stress) and because I’ve been cut back on my distilled water deliveries, so I’m trying to ration my distilled water by dragging out the time between water changes. 

DBB1CEFE-B8E0-49C8-BAC9-F1419401F98C.thumb.jpeg.3160b1153b358823db79cc15a5001bf6.jpeg

I love your sand. How fine is it?

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I love your sand. How fine is it?

Thanks, it’s Natures Ocean Samoa Pink... it was finer than I had expected from looking at it in the bag, but it also has some bigger pieces mixed in like pieces of shells.

Oh, nice... as I’m sitting here writing this I see my nassarius snail is still alive! Hadn’t seen it for a few days... really been limiting food in this tank to reduce the need for water changes and thought I may have starved it. I just went to snap a pic to post here of the snail and the pink in the sand, and look what my little photobombing fish did, they swam right over to get in the picture. 

I should get back to taking more pics of my tanks, it really does lift my spirits. 

1E572F4B-1F82-4D35-9C87-701477DF2ECB.thumb.jpeg.6831a314ca8a1f54b22bcb46484a3df1.jpeg

A3F45246-DD53-438F-AA64-E8D29E914217.thumb.jpeg.bb46351e36a840125b2f47b0b48777a6.jpeg

B1585288-CB92-42D3-9941-ACCCABE01994.thumb.jpeg.e1f7771023a832fd4c7695f1841971d1.jpeg

6C0EA226-3C70-4D35-B6AE-67F474EC40F8.thumb.jpeg.66f1517bb52cf3baae81dc93fc6b2709.jpeg

• Like 2
squamptonbc

I never got past the cycling stage, I had the flex with freshwater for a couple years and in February decided to set it up as a nano, this photo was mid February when I started the cycling process.

Everything is currently in the closest being stored now, but one day I hope to get it up and running again.

DSC_0608.JPG

• Like 4
1 hour ago, squamptonbc said:

I never got past the cycling stage, I had the flex with freshwater for a couple years and in February decided to set it up as a nano, this photo was mid February when I started the cycling process.

Everything is currently in the closest being stored now, but one day I hope to get it up and running again.

DSC_0608.JPG

It was a great start... bummer about the timing. At least you hadn’t started to stock it yet. I’ve considered transferring my livestock from my contest tank into one of my other tanks to downsize given the current situation, but both my other tanks are already heavily stocked so I think I’m going to try to keep it up. 

10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Well our hospital is now telling us we can come to work sick as long as we don't have serious symptoms. We just have to wear a mask. They said they were going off CDC recommendations. 

Probably because so much staff are out from being exposed that it's not possible to have them all QT and still have staff. 

It is kind of scary to me... to think of myself working sick with covid. The hours are long and stressful and it certainly messes up my immune system. 

Yes we're lucky we get 6 months at 75% and 6 months at 55%. Everyone who made at least 2000$ in a year qualifies.  Fathers get 6 or 8 weeks at 75% can't remember. The 6 months at 55% is called the parental and can be split between the parents which is good. I'm in Québec which is one of the best places, IMO to raise a family.

Regarding symptoms, the nursing home I work at are not letting people come in if they show any sign of a cold, flu or covid19, even if you just have the schniffles you stay home, which is good!

• Like 2

I have 3 tanks laying around, a 10g, a 5g and a 2.5g. Debating starting something with one of them, probably the 5 or 10. Not sure what lol. So many options. Maybe a planted freshwater tank with some dwarf pea puffers!!!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I have 3 tanks laying around, a 10g, a 5g and a 2.5g. Debating starting something with one of them, probably the 5 or 10. Not sure what lol. So many options. Maybe a planted freshwater tank with some dwarf pea puffers!!!

I adore those little fish, but they can be mean lol, they're really fun to pair with khuli loaches as cuc for the bottom.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

I really miss going to my LFS. I need my coral-fix - fast! 😞

On a slightly brighter note, my neighbor - this sweet old lady who lives with her daughter and son-in-law just next door - gave us a whole chicken yesterday. She said they have eight chickens which they bought fresh off a farm, so she didn't mind passing one to us for us to cook and eat. The chicken was fairly large - my mother fried a portion of it for lunch, and gave some of it to our neighbor for her lunch too. We froze the rest, I believe. 🙂 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, banasophia said:

I disagree with this... that’s like saying teachers and other helping professions shouldn’t get paid much because they are doing work to help others. 

Just because someone retired from nursing or medicine doesn’t mean they should be called back to work the front lines in fighting this virus when they are at an extra high risk due to their age... is that how we thank them for their life of helping patients?

If someone chooses to do that, that’s their decision... but I wouldn’t assume doctors and nurses chose their profession with the expectation of having to actually give their life for their work. 

Nobody is mandating retirees come back. People are choosing to help. There are a lot of retirees that are doing this, and I’m sure some will be giving their life to help others. 

• Like 1