SaltCritters.com

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

7 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

Can someone define exterior plumbing to me for example i want to have a external pump would that be against the rules because technically thats the same as a hob which is also outside the tank can someone clarify this thanls again

I'm not making the rules, but I'm pretty sure that an external pump (with associated plumbing) wouldn't be allowed.  For example, I don't believe a pump for a closed loop is going to be allowed.

Hopefully it will be spelled out in the official rules.

• Like 1

HOB would be like an aquaclear or similar. A small filter system that hangs onto the side of the aquarium. A small one that does not hold more than .5 gallon of water. Something like lily pipes or a canister filter would not be allowed. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

I asked this same questions earlier on but I don't think CM weighed in on this yet.  Curious as well.  🙂

Sorry didnt see it lets see what he says

• Like 1

Just for reference, here's the Tetra 2.5 that I got at PetSmart ($14.99):

TetraTank.jpg.c2d7ff5ba20c97ec9846031ab0f8494e.jpg

The visible silicone on the seams is pretty consistent (but large compared to $50 tanks).

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, seabass said:

The visible silicone on the seams is pretty consistent (but large compared to $50 tanks).

Since I'm having trouble finding one local, I hope yours leaks :lol:

• Haha 4
  • Wow 3
31 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

We are going to have to buy rimless and add a rim 😜

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

We are going to have to buy rimless and add a rim 😜

You could 3D print some clips to hold a glass top.

6 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I am having a hard time finding a janky tank! I was thinking about rimless but old school rimmed has that special feel to it.

I think you may have stumbled upon this contests name - The Janky Tank Pico Reef Contest

32 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Hey, wait for me! 😯

See the source image
Hurry up!

However, I'm not going very fast.  I'm sure you'll pass me up soon...
See the source image
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

That silicone job looks so sexy :rolleyes: at 14.99 I wonder if the kid that built it even gets a dollar for there work........

1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

What happened to your UNS dreams............

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

That silicone job looks so sexy :rolleyes: at 14.99 I wonder if the kid that built it even gets a dollar for there work........

What happened to your UNS dreams............

Haven't clicked pay button

Underworld2.0

Here is a great idea! 

We are talking a 2.5 tank, 

A legit pico, I say no rules other then a sick 2.5g pico! 

Standard tank 2.5 all same dims, and let's see what people can do with that, like 2.5gs who can make a sick 2.5g reef that shows growth in six months , false walls aoi inserts, who cares it's 2.5gs like what can you do with that in 6months ? Let's show em what we can do ! @Christopher Marks

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seabass said:

You could 3D print some clips to hold a glass top.

Nah I was considering using electrical tape to give it the illusion of a black rim just to fit in. I got jealous of everyone's Janky tanks!

Found a $10 aqueon at the pet supplies plus (never been there). Bonus is the silicone is all over the place ..even the outside lol 🤣

Still thinking about buying a long UNS system to use as a sweet sweet fw planted tank though. 🤔

18 minutes ago, Underworld2.0 said:

Here is a great idea! 

We are talking a 2.5 tank, 

A legit pico, I say no rules other then a sick 2.5g pico! 

Standard tank 2.5 all same dims, and let's see what people can do with that, like 2.5gs who can make a sick 2.5g reef that shows growth in six months , false walls aoi inserts, who cares it's 2.5gs like what can you do with that in 6months ? Let's show em what we can do ! @Christopher Marks

Not everyone can get a 2.5 anymore they a pain in the ass to find these days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Christopher Marks
4 hours ago, billdeluz said:

Can someone define exterior plumbing to me for example i want to have a external pump would that be against the rules because technically thats the same as a hob which is also outside the tank can someone clarify this thanls again

4 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I asked this same questions earlier on but I don't think CM weighed in on this yet.  Curious as well.  🙂

4 hours ago, seabass said:

I'm not making the rules, but I'm pretty sure that an external pump (with associated plumbing) wouldn't be allowed.  For example, I don't believe a pump for a closed loop is going to be allowed.

Hopefully it will be spelled out in the official rules.

Seabass has it right ☝️. An external pump will not be allowed, closed loop or otherwise. Only the pump as part of a HOB filter can be external.

• Thanks 1
Christopher Marks

I hesitate to clarify too much more, lest anyone get too much of a head start! 😛

Stay tuned for the formal announcement in the coming days with all the precise details!

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I hesitate to clarify too much more, lest anyone get too much of a head start! 😛

Stay tuned for the formal announcement in the coming days with all the precise details!

@seabass and @Tamberav already have algae growing 

• Haha 4

How much water do the various aquaclear models hold? Or can someone link me to a website that tells me. I'm having a hard time finding that info. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

How much water do the various aquaclear models hold? Or can someone link me to a website that tells me. I'm having a hard time finding that info. 

What model are you looking at ?

Only thing I am not liking about a HOB is there big and ugly........on the janky rimmed tank sure.......but the rimless well........

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic