Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

If the neotherm heaters are 6 5/8 in tall, and the media baskets are 5 in tall, the heaters will not fit in the basket with the filter lid on. Unless you stick em in at an angle, in which case you won't be able to use the basket... or am I totally wrong?

6 minutes ago, seabass said:

It's amazing how deep 1" of sand looks in this tank.  Pretty cool actually.

I was just checking, it's still empty. :ninja:

still empty? defective tank? take it back to the store and complain. mebe you'll get a certificate for livestock  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wowow...After seeing some of these rimless tanks...A Janky Tank with cruddy silicone and all other sorts of ugly just seem like...handicapped... from the beginning.

Thats why I vote for a Janky Tank category, those rimless tanks are beauties!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Wowow...After seeing some of these rimless tanks...A Janky Tank with cruddy silicone and all other sorts of ugly just seem like...handicapped... from the beginning.

Thats why I vote for a Janky Tank category, those rimless tanks are beauties!

I know what you mean.

we should start a list of available rimless tanks for contestants...both in the US and Canada.  🙂 

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Honestly, I would have picked something bigger with black silicon if I could...... but rules😴🤣

Never had tank this small b4 in my life but I have to say, workmanship is quite nice. Clarity isn’t bad either. 😏😈 lol

• Like 3

I just personally don't need to spend another $40+ for a rimless tank. If I could enter with one of my JBJ Picotopes, I would, I have 2 of them after all.

But I want to participate, without spending too much on a THIRD tank under 3 gallons... and I was totally on board with the "even playing field" idea of the Janky Tanks with HOB Filters.  Something affordable. I know not everyone is just setting this up ONLY for the contest, but I would be transferring over to a JBJ Picotope when the contest is over to make it more presentable anyway. And others may take the tank down at the end of the contest as well.

But I don't know if my potential janky tank will ever compete with a sexy sleek rimless in this contest. Hence my vote for the Janky Tank category and the Rimless category being separate.

But I'm excited to see how this all turns out, rimmed or not! Even if I don't end up participating

• Like 3
A Little Blue
4 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

I personally don't need to spend another $40+ for a rimless tank. If I could enter with one of my JBJ Picotopes, I would, I have 2 of them after all.

But I want to participate, without spending too much on a THIRD tank under 3 gallons... and I was totally on board with the "even playing field" idea of the Janky Tanks with HOB Filters.  Something affordable. I know not everyone is just setting this up for the contest, but I will be transferring over to a JBJ Picotope when the contest is over to make it more presentable anyway. 

But I don't know if my potential janky tank will ever compete with a sexy sleek rimless in this contest

I wouldn’t worry about that. If that was me, I would judge on creativity, design (filtration), efficiency/practicality and results so......

This thing is super cute so I intend to keep it setup long term. But If you are just getting a tank for the contest, cheap and cheerful all the way. 👍

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I wouldn’t worry about that. If that was me, I would judge on creativity, design (filtration), efficiency/practicality and results so......

This thing is super cute so I intend to keep it setup long term. But If you are just getting a tank for the contest, cheap and cheerful all the way. 👍

No I get that, I'm all for super cute Pico tanks,  and I will likely keep the livestock and rock in a Pico format, just transfer them to a rimless JBJ Picotope 3 gallon for presentability after the contest. 

I just don't wanna spend any more than I need to, seeing as I already have two 3 gallon rimless Pico aquariums dry in storage right now

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Friendly said:

yeah, stuff like magnets have gone up crazy in price. that said, how about something that uses a clip or clamp where you have to cut a slot to accommodate the return water ramp?

The coated magnets were the worst.  We have a pretty cool design protyped, I don't want to release too much.  We try and not make any modification necessary, explaining it especially in the world of Amazon and Amazon returns is impossible.   The issue with the Aquaclear's is the sizes are different, so a universal option isn't always feasible, but they can be scaled. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue
6 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

No I get that, I'm all for super cute Pico tanks,  and I will likely keep the livestock and rock in a Pico format, just transfer them to a rimless JBJ Picotope 3 gallon for presentability after the contest. 

I just don't wanna spend any more than I need to, seeing as I already have two 3 gallon rimless Pico aquariums dry in storage right now

I totally get it. I presently have 3 tanks running and 3 empties in the basement. So yeah I feel your pain. This setup is going to be super quite so maybe it will end up on my nightstand .... don’t know yet. 

• Like 2
A Little Blue
7 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

picotope is 11.8 x 8.9 x 8.1 

I vote to allow it 

Makes no difference to me either. If boss allows it, go for it. 

• Like 2

I get it that rimless, low iron tanks are sexy; but I don't see this as being a huge advantage.  I rarely focus on the seams or rims in full tank shots.  Some might find it's worth the extra $35 (which isn't all that much), while others will be building on a budget.  Either way, you can setup a really nice tank (just for the contest, or for the long-term).

• Like 5
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

v6ZTPG0.jpg

It’s ready for pick up. I tested and you’re good to go. My enemies think I got it for myself. Mind games, fun, fun, fun. 🤣😂

• Haha 3
39 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

picotope is 11.8 x 8.9 x 8.1 

I vote to allow it 

This would make my life a little easier. lol

1 hour ago, MetaTank said:

I just personally don't need to spend another $40+ for a rimless tank. If I could enter with one of my JBJ Picotopes, I would, I have 2 of them after all.

But I want to participate, without spending too much on a THIRD tank under 3 gallons... and I was totally on board with the "even playing field" idea of the Janky Tanks with HOB Filters.  Something affordable. I know not everyone is just setting this up ONLY for the contest, but I would be transferring over to a JBJ Picotope when the contest is over to make it more presentable anyway. And others may take the tank down at the end of the contest as well.

But I don't know if my potential janky tank will ever compete with a sexy sleek rimless in this contest. Hence my vote for the Janky Tank category and the Rimless category being separate.

But I'm excited to see how this all turns out, rimmed or not! Even if I don't end up participating

I don't think it will be too unfair, I think janky tanks may even get extra points for making something beautiful out of a turd.

Plus they have a nostalgic feel. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I don't think it will be too unfair, I think janky tanks may even get extra points for making something beautiful out of a turd.

Plus they have a nostalgic feel. 

Thread title 

Tam's tiny turd box 

• Haha 6
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic