inTank Media Baskets

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

Snow_Phoenix

I have several questions:

If I join this contest, can I:

1. Use a 12" x 6" x 6" aquarium? (Can't find anything with those specific dimensions in the rules - will need to order online which would be too expensive)

2. Use cured LR directly from my 20G, thus skipping the cycling process entirely?

3. Do a budget reef with any cheap, underestimated frags of any kind?

4. Use a HOB filter >0.5G capacity, but minus any wavemakers/extra pumps?

5. Stock the tank with literally anything, including macro?

6. Go bare-bottom? 

Sorry for all the questions, but just wanted to make sure if I'm on the right track. I'm not even sure if the entries are open to places outside the US to begin with, but I thought I might just join in for the heck of it (if I have the time and enough resources for it).  Still thinking about it.

13 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Still thinking about it.

I believe all that is within the proposed parameters, and I'm sure someone will chime in soon if it's not. Nothing has been said about international entries, but I don't see why you can't participate knowing that prizes likely Can't be shipped int'l. I hope you do join just for the fun of it!!

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
7 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I believe all that is within the proposed parameters, and I'm sure someone will chime in soon if it's not. Nothing has been said about international entries, but I don't see why you can't participate knowing that prizes likely Can't be shipped int'l. I hope you do join just for the fun of it!!

I just re-read Chris's rules. The filter capacity cannot exceed 0.5G in volume. It's okay - they sell some small filters here - I'll just pick up one. 

I’ll be building my own glass tank for this one as I’d like a cleaner look without rims on top/bottom. I ordered from my local glass shop yesterday and total cost will be $71 for the professionally cut 1/4” glass and aquarium silicon. It will be my first tank build but I’m thinking it shouldn’t be too difficult at only 12x6x8. Can’t wait to post some pictures when it’s finished!

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I just re-read Chris's rules. The filter capacity cannot exceed 0.5G in volume. It's okay - they sell some small filters here - I'll just pick up one. 

Sorry, sometimes I forget the alligator wants to eat the bigger number. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 4
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Sorry, sometimes I forget the alligator wants to eat the bigger number. 🤷‍♀️

when I eat alligator, it's a lot like chicken. granted, I've never eaten a bigger number, so dunno what they taste like to compare.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

A tidal 55 is only .32 us gal. and I think the 35 is only around .2 gal. If you want an hob the tidal filters are built with a surface skimmer. They do cost a little more than aquaclear but cheaper than buying an aquaclear and separate surface skimmer. 

Correction at marine depot the AC30 is $39.99 and the tidal is $39.45 

A Little Blue
1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have several questions:

If I join this contest, can I:

1. Use a 12" x 6" x 6" aquarium? (Can't find anything with those specific dimensions in the rules - will need to order online which would be too expensive)

2. Use cured LR directly from my 20G, thus skipping the cycling process entirely?

3. Do a budget reef with any cheap, underestimated frags of any kind?

4. Use a HOB filter >0.5G capacity, but minus any wavemakers/extra pumps?

5. Stock the tank with literally anything, including macro?

6. Go bare-bottom? 

Sorry for all the questions, but just wanted to make sure if I'm on the right track. I'm not even sure if the entries are open to places outside the US to begin with, but I thought I might just join in for the heck of it (if I have the time and enough resources for it).  Still thinking about it.

They seemed to be stricked with filter volume (even tho it’s the essential part of the healthy reef tank) so I don’t know...... 

If you’re smart, yeah, I would go for live rock and easy corals (softies, LPS 1st and some easier SPS like montis, stylos etc after few months). BB is a little harder to get going but if you’re going with LR, your chances increas quiet a bit. 

• Thanks 1
A Little Blue
5 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

A tidal 55 is only .32 us gal. and I think the 35 is only around .2 gal. If you want an hob the tidal filters are built with a surface skimmer. They do cost a little more than aquaclear but cheaper than buying an aquaclear and separate surface skimmer. 

I think you could conceal/hide heater in that filter as well. Nice choice. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
20 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I think you could conceal/hide heater in that filter as well. Nice choice. 

Sorry. That’s intank Tunze filters (heater compartment). 

4 hours ago, seabass said:

I vote for janky.  Sure, rimless is a bit more sexy, but nobody is going to look at the seams anyway.  Use the $300 for lighting or livestock.

I am having a hard time finding a janky tank! I was thinking about rimless but old school rimmed has that special feel to it.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I am having a hard time finding a janky tank! I was thinking about rimless but old school rimmed has that special feel to it.

Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus seem to be carrying them.  Petco doesn't appear to stock them at most of their stores.  Your LFS could probably order you one.  However, I haven't found an inexpensive online source for them.

A Little Blue
9 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

The tidal filters have a heater clip/holder but it is tiny. You can probable fit a heater in the filter compartment but just like the aquaclear it would depend on which heater.

Do you remember the volume of Aqua 50? I don’t think that I’ll participate but that would be in my top 3 hob filter choices. 

14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Janky 2.5 gallon Tetra tanks at Petsmart for the win!

You may need to hit a few since they are only in stores and not on-line. 

14 minutes ago, seabass said:

Petsmart and Pet Supplies Plus seem to be carrying them.  Petco doesn't appear to stock them at most of their stores.  Your LFS could probably order you one.  However, I haven't found an inexpensive online source for them.

LFS has one but the rim is cracked and was 18 bucks...nope. I will check pet supplies as I think we have one and I've never been there before. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Too bad you're not a smidge closer! You could have my janky tank!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
MainelyReefer
3 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

even tho it’s the essential part of the healthy reef tank

Filtration does not equal healthy reef, biological filtration via live rock yes but mechanical/chemical no

• Like 2
On 3/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Ok, here are the proposed contest tank rules! 👏

🏆 

How do i enter into this also will theree be an official thread starting this im really excited i missed all the other ones can someone please answer this tha ks in advance

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

How do i enter into this also will theree be an official thread starting this im really excited i missed all the other ones

Glad you will be participating in this contest.  Yes, there will be an official thread stating the final rules and how to enter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Glad you will be participating in this contest.  Yes, there will be an official thread stating the final rules and how to enter.

You are the best 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Can someone define exterior plumbing to me for example i want to have a external pump would that be against the rules because technically thats the same as a hob which is also outside the tank can someone clarify this thanls again

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, billdeluz said:

Can someone define exterior plumbing to me for example i want to have a external pump would that be against the rules because technically thats the same as a hob which is also outside the tank can someone clarify this thanls again

I asked this same questions earlier on but I don't think CM weighed in on this yet.  Curious as well.  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic