SaltCritters.com

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

MainelyReefer
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I like for categories that will be judged

1. Most pleasing overall appearance  (this automatically includes aquascape, color, not cluttered with equipment) system.

2. Most well thought out, innovative, efficient system.  This should appeal to the participants who like the technical aspect of getting the most out of a limited equipment reef.

3. Best documented system, as this encourages participants to share their thought processes of why and how they are trying to accomplish certain goals for their tank.  We all can learn so much from this of what works and what does not work.

This

• Like 2
3 hours ago, vlangel said:

I like for categories that will be judged

1. Most pleasing overall appearance  (this automatically includes aquascape, color, not cluttered with equipment) system.

2. Most well thought out, innovative, efficient system.  This should appeal to the participants who like the technical aspect of getting the most out of a limited equipment reef.

3. Best documented system, as this encourages participants to share their thought processes of why and how they are trying to accomplish certain goals for their tank.  We all can learn so much from this of what works and what does not work.

these sound good...but I think there should be two prizes for each category, one for KISS tanks and one for tanks with a lot of gear.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

The idea is to have a tank that is as close as possible to the same dimensions as a classic 2.5 gallon tank. If the closest tank you can find is actually 12x7x7", 13x7x8," 12x8x8", rim or no rim, that is A-OK

Notice CM never added more than two inches total to the size, and in some cases detracted showcasing how the allowance is to make finding a tank possible, not to goose your gallonage

48 minutes ago, Friendly said:

14" x 8" x 8"

You added two inches to two numbers, so a total of four inches which is not what is intended I think.

• Like 1
Just now, GraniteReefer said:

Notice Chris never added more than two inches total to the size, and in some cases detracted showcasing how the allowance is to make finding a tank possible, not to goose your gallonage

You added two inches to two numbers, so a total of four inches which is not what is intended I think.

wasn't intentional...I've got dyscalculia. same as dyslexia, but for numbers. 😛

• Haha 1

I vote for filter box being allowed! Purely selfish as I have it already and I'd prefer to not buy new gear for this 😅

I can understand wanting to only allow an HOB so everyone has nearly the same equipment but as far as filtration and water movement goes I don't really see a difference. Up to you CM 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
NuisanceAlgaeCultivator
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

I am good with both options but I agree with Chris that it simplifies the rules to have only hob filters.

+1

• Like 2
A Little Blue
2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

If the closest tank you can find is actually 12x7x7", 13x7x8," 12x8x8", rim or no rim, that is A-OK. If you're looking to go to the very limits of the rule with a 14x8x8" tank, we're not gonna stop you.

I think that was pretty clear. 

But I get it if some like to tailor rules to fit their build. Kinda funny. 😏

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
11 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I think that was pretty clear. 

But I get it if some like to tailor rules to fit their build. Kinda funny. 😏

I didn’t even see he said that size and adding 4” was permissible... I may have been in a state with legal pot earlier today haha sorry @Friendly guess that’s totally good 

if a custom tank is being built, the dimensions have to be exactly 12 x 6 x 8 inches. the leeway for dimensions is only for those who cannot get the 2.5 gallon recommended.

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Sounds like that was the intent of this contest all along.  I can get onboard with that.

Allowed:

• HOB filters (with a volume of no more than 0.5 gallons)
  • Modifications and inserts to the HOB filter that do not cause it to exceed the 0.5 gallon limit

I know a few people have already ordered internal filters.  Should internal filters be allowed?  And if they are, should DIY custom filters be allowed?  I know this is where things start getting gray.

Internal filters should be

who wants to see the same tank for every contestant? 

DIY should be allowed also just nothing that is going to “Detract from viewable space”

i do not own a HOB filter nor wanting to buy one cause of a stipulation “that everyone has to have one”  this is a contest for people to be creative and use the 2.5 gal box to suit their needs and stand out beyond the other competitors.. limiting everyone to the same filtration is ridiculous since everyone already has the same box dimensions. Reef keeping is about variety to make YOUR tank work for YOU

• Like 1

Ran around today.... No 2.5g deep blue tanks left. Can't order them since deep blue is selling the company (to marineland I think). 😞

They had Aqueon for like $18... nah... maybe it it was like $8 since the silicone job was lol. 

I went to Petsmart today.  They had three 2.5 gallon Tetra tanks.  I grabbed one of them for $15.  The seams look pretty much like any standard tank (not particularly better or worse than what's typical).  It'd be nice to have a rimless low iron tank, but I got this in the spirit of the contest; plus, I actually wanted a rim for the top.  Not to mention the cost savings.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Friendly said:

AngelFins.ca has the Aqueon 2.5 gal and AquariumDepot.ca or ReefSupplies.ca has the 2.5 gallon Marineland version.

I really want to get that 3 gallon long though, but it's sold out.  😞 

I can't buy another tank. I have the 2.2g, 5.5g, 3.5g, and the jar sitting around.

I have to do the contest with what I have sitting in my closets. 

but thank you for letting me know who in ON has tanks available.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Ok, we need to settle this one, I'm looking for a general consensus. The potential for this seems to hinge upon this proposed equipment rule:

• 1x Internal submersible filter pump

And this optional equipment suggestion:

• Surface skimmer modifications

Either we allow this kind of filter, and other DIY internal filters that reside in the tank but do not divide the tank, or we nix this rule entirely and allow hang on back filters only. Personally, I'm inclined to say HOB filter Only to simplify things.

I don't want to stifle all creativity in this contest, but once again I'd like to reiterate the intent to provide a 'level playing field' when it comes to equipment options. I feel like we're starting to split hairs on some details while people find creative ways to build something outside the scope of the competition. We won't be able to appease everyone in our plans for this build contest.

HOB filter modifications will be allowed and encouraged. The mention of optimally allowing a surface skimmer was specifically included for the sake of improving the function of a HOB filter.

For those looking for potential tanks to use, I'll again reiterate the proposed rules

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

The idea is to have a tank that is as close as possible to the same dimensions as a classic 2.5 gallon tank. If the closest tank you can find is actually 12x7x7", 13x7x8," 12x8x8", rim or no rim, that is A-OK. If you're looking to go to the very limits of the rule with a 14x8x8" tank, we're not gonna stop you.

Hob filter I think should be allowed because it is the most common whereas excluding it to allow DIY limits competitors who can't diy.

Will no filter be allowed?

I think the tank being rimmed or rimless with the guidelines you provided, is fair.

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I can't buy another tank. I have the 2.2g, 5.5g, 3.5g, and the jar sitting around.

The 2.2 sounds close enough (with no unfair advantage).  We'll count you in. :lol:

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

What are the dims. of the 2.2? I would think that as long as it's a similarly sized rectangular tank, you could join in. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I went to Petsmart today.  They had three 2.5 gallon Tetra tanks.  I grabbed one of them for $15.  The seams look pretty much like any standard tank (not particularly better or worse than what's typical).  It'd be nice to have a rimless low iron tank, but I got this in the spirit of the contest; plus, I actually wanted a rim for the top.  Not to mention the cost savings.

Picked up the exact same Tetra tank today...just in case....😉

The silicone job wasn’t the best but not the worst I’ve ever seen.

• Like 2

I am getting very excited about participating in this pico contest!  My tank should arrive at my petco today or tomorrow, (they had to get it from another store).  I went through my rubble rock bucket and chose my rock.  I have the par bulb from the CCC so will use that.  I also have a very small heater from when I raised clownfish.  Just waiting on word whether a hob filter must be used or if an air pump with airline tubing (or sponge filter) is ok.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I am getting very excited about participating in this pico contest! 

Yay! I'm glad you're joining in! I have some leftovers from the last contest as well. I'm still trying to decide if I should use the janky tank or get a rimless. 🤔

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'm still trying to decide if I should use the janky tank or get a rimless. 🤔

I vote for janky.  Sure, rimless is a bit more sexy, but nobody is going to look at the seams anyway.  Use the $300 for lighting or livestock.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Yay! I'm glad you're joining in! I have some leftovers from the last contest as well. I'm still trying to decide if I should use the janky tank or get a rimless. 🤔

Rimless...……...I cant be the only one to waste money :lol: 

I think I have a nanobox tide floating think it will be enough light or should I order a duo :unsure:

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

My tank is janky but I figure with my skills I can make anything look good!  You all know that I am just kidding, right? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic