Pod Your Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

7 minutes ago, spectra said:

What model are you looking at ?

Only thing I am not liking about a HOB is there big and ugly........on the janky rimmed tank sure.......but the rimless well........

I have a 20 and a 70 in storage. The benefit of the 70 is that it'll fit the heater, but yeah, it's a bit big and bulky. 

I would go internal filter only , but I'm a fan of what filter floss pulls out of the water.

20 minutes ago, spectra said:

What model are you looking at ?

Only thing I am not liking about a HOB is there big and ugly........on the janky rimmed tank sure.......but the rimless well........

When I was going to go rimless, I just wasn't going to use a filter. Only thing that would look perfect on a tiny rimless is glass pipes with an inline heater imo but they are not allowed. 

That is sort of the reason I went janky mode 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Since this contest seems to be leaning to use janky rimmed tanks and HOB, it seems it is trying for old-school methods. 

I also get the impression that janky tanks and hob filters were, at one time, really easy to get ahold of, and what reefer didn't have a few thrown into storage? Chris was probably trying to go for ease of access to. I'm interested in what the final verdict will be with everyone having weighed in on tank availability. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I also get the impression that janky tanks and hob filters were, at one time, really easy to get ahold of, and what reefer didn't have a few thrown into storage? Chris was probably teying to go for ease of access to. I'm interested in what the final verdict will be with everyone having weighed in on tank availability. 

Ya, I have a canister and realllllly wanted to use it with glass pipes on a UNS tank with a in-line heater but I get that he wants to keep it simple and accessible to everyone. 

• Like 4
Just now, Tamberav said:

Ya, I have a canister and realllllly wanted to use it with glass pipes on a UNS tank with a in-line heater but I get that he wants to keep it simple and accessible to everyone. 

Switch it out at the end if the contest!

If I use the jank-tank, I'll be switching it out for a nice rimless later on. If I'm gonna start another tank, I'm going to make it a long lasting one. Not like my failed pico container!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Switch it out at the end if the contest!

If I use the jank-tank, I'll be switching it out for a nice rimless later on. If I'm gonna start another tank, I'm going to make it a long lasting one. Not like my failed pico container!

It's ok.. my container never made it off the ground really... I even got a refund at least. Life got busy 😞

Also I was thinking I could just upgrade if the tank proves to be successful enough to keep up. That is a lot of tanks though.. this would be my 5th and if I set up my mini complete thats 6. :owned:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I have a bunch QT tanks in the basement with excess fish too... I am selling so it is like a god damn pet store over here. Promise the fish are in much better health though than a LFS. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I'm just curious - is there any sort of shrimp or crab that will be comfortable in a ~2.5G. Because there's this psychotic Pom pom my LFS has been trying to get rid off for weeks and... :rolleyes:

pom pom be fine in 2.5 easy!!

Mine is an ass and so is my blue boxer and I threaten them a lot with the mini complete jail cell. I wouldn't but... they don't need to know that.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I'm just curious - is there any sort of shrimp or crab that will be comfortable in a ~2.5G? Because there's this psychotic Pom pom my LFS has been trying to get rid off for weeks and... :rolleyes:

I think a single pom pom would be ok in a 2.5. Make sure to give it a few good crevices to hide in. No hermits in your cuc though, imo. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

pom pom be fine in 2.5 easy!!

Mine is an ass and so is my blue boxer and I threaten them a lot with the mini complete jail cell. I wouldn't but... they don't need to know that.

The one at my LFS is a badass. He punched-killed two scooters they put him with. 😞

3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I think a single pom pom would be ok in a 2.5. Make sure to give it a few good crevices to hide in. No hermits in your cuc though, imo. 

Noted. I was anyway thinking of putting in one snail and focusing more on simple corals and macro.

• Wow 1
Christopher Marks

Don't forget, filterless is always another option! The allowed equipment is optional. If it were me, I'd put a lid on it and run it all natural like a cookie jar pico with an air bubbler or a powerhead for circulation, a heater, and nothing more. Two gallon water changes are easy!

• Like 5
This guy is extra salty

I want(ed) to build an internal filter 

Or 

an undergravel filter 😢

which either will be definitely one of a kind

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Don't forget, filterless is always another option! The allowed equipment is optional. If it were me, I'd put a lid on it and run it all natural like a cookie jar pico with an air bubbler or a powerhead for circulation, a heater, and nothing more. Two gallon water changes are easy!

1ucmv9.jpg

• Haha 3
11 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I want(ed) to build an internal filter 

Or 

an undergravel filter 😢

which either will be definitely one of a kind

I totally want a "almost anything goes" contest for the next one. Something like... anything under 5g total volume (including filter areas) anddd go! (No premade AIO's but DIY ok, force ppl to set something up and not buy a pre-made boring tank... most of us have those snooze fest tanks already).

That way we might get... hobs... canisters... closed loops... undergravel filters.... DIY AIO's..... tiny plumbed sumps... 

• Like 5

I'm a +1 for HOB filters only. I may pick up a 2.5 at PetSmart and throw my hat into this one, can we get a Janky Tank category in this? Just for the people who don't wanna go topless?

• Like 4
A Little Blue
13 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I totally want a "almost anything goes" contest for the next one. Something like... anything under 5g total volume (including filter areas) anddd go! (No premade AIO's but DIY ok, force ppl to set something up and not buy a pre-made boring tank... most of us have those snooze fest tanks already).

That way we might get... hobs... canisters... closed loops... undergravel filters.... DIY AIO's..... tiny plumbed sumps... 

I would be game for that.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
6 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Filtration does not equal healthy reef, biological filtration via live rock yes but mechanical/chemical no

So go with clean look and no filtration. LR is filtration btw. And if you're going to go that route alone without substantial WC, I wish you good luck.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

I would be game for that.

In the spirit of this current competition, I want everyone to be an a level playing ground...

but for FUTURE contests, I'd LOVE to see some sort of a DIY ONLY/Heavily modded contest. Totally game for an Anything Goes contest at some point. I love tinkering. I like the idea of "5 gallons total system water volume...Go Crazy!"

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
39 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You don’t want to get me started 

(I have people wanting me to build stuff)

B4D78541-2459-4FB2-BABA-2CC1D7CD657D.thumb.jpeg.8b783dd65463fc9f4e3b23bff1ece017.jpeg

• Like 1
A Little Blue
43 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

In the spirit of this current competition, I want everyone to be an a level playing ground...

but for FUTURE contests, I'd LOVE to see some sort of a DIY ONLY/Heavily modded contest. Totally game for an Anything Goes contest at some point. I love tinkering. I like the idea of "5 gallons total system water volume...Go Crazy!"

5g display and the rest...., Mad Max all out war. 

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

D81A2F67-9B8B-4DFC-A34C-C6C4A3004B5E.thumb.jpeg.a60bdc1a440fde8a06605b43ab0f286d.jpeg

Definitely out of my price range holds half gallon right?

yea don’t limit the contest “make internal filters great again”  

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic