inTank Media Baskets

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

This guy is extra salty
1 minute ago, A Little Blue said:

5g display and the rest...., Mad Max all out war. 

Well it would be maximum of “5g TSV”

im waiting for @seabass to bust out those great memes, so my sides can hurt 😂 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Well it would be maximum of “5g TSV”

im waiting for @seabass to bust out those great memes, so my sides can hurt 😂 

5g total volume is boring. This present contest volume might go up to 3.5g depending on tank size and filtration. With 5 gallons display, you could actually try expending livestock to more than just critters, cuc etc. 

This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

5g total volume is boring. This present contest volume might go up to 3.5g depending on tank size and filtration. With 5 gallons display, you could actually try expending livestock to more than just critters, cuc etc. 

Sure let me plumb in this 5g into my 300g system.. sounds fair for everyone 

🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

D81A2F67-9B8B-4DFC-A34C-C6C4A3004B5E.thumb.jpeg.a60bdc1a440fde8a06605b43ab0f286d.jpeg

Definitely out of my price range holds half gallon right?

yea don’t limit the contest “make internal filters great again”  

I have one of the azoo palm filters that was only $6 from drfoster when they were still around that I might use if I use a filter. I miss the cheap random shit you could get there. 

• Like 1
A Little Blue
2 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Sure let me plumb in this 5g into my 300g system.. sounds fair for everyone 

🤦‍♂️

Honesty, I couldn't care less. 

This guy is extra salty
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I have one of the azoo palm filters that was only $6 from drfoster when they were still around that I might use if I use a filter. I miss the cheap random shit you could get there. 

idk by the looks of it I might have to redesign my build pending what the contest parameters are.. 

so @Christopher Marks can we get a date to expect the rules and regulations? 

Or wait for more 

🎶 Jeopardy music 🎶 

This is the cheapest I could find online: https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Tank-Glass-2-1-Gal/dp/B005VDO7D2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=2.5+aquarium&qid=1552457947&s=gateway&sr=8-5

They also have Deep Blue: https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Supplies-2-5Gal-Black-12X6x8/dp/B00AA52JMM/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=12+x+6+x8+tank&qid=1552457423&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-3

And All Glass: https://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Aquarium-AAG10002-2-5-Gallon/dp/B0002AS1PE/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=2.5+aquarium&qid=1552457947&s=gateway&sr=8-4

For a sexy, low iron, rimless tank:

https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Long_Cuboid_Low_Iron_Rimless_Aquarium_2.6_Gallon_Nano_Cube_Aquariums_Tanks_Under_10_Gallons-AquaMaxx-UJ94552-FIAQNCNTUT-vi.html

All of these are a little more expensive than buying one at PetSmart, or Pet Supplies Plus, but they are an option for those who can't find one local and still wish to participate.  I also encourage people to talk to their local fish stores, as they can often special order in tanks for you.

• Thanks 2

Does anyone know how much water each of the aqua clear HOB holds.  I have looked all of the spec sheets I can find and not found that info yet.

40 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Does anyone know how much water each of the aqua clear HOB holds.  I have looked all of the spec sheets I can find and not found that info yet.

I guessing you'll be OK.  A half gallon is pretty big.  Which AC were you thinking of using?

I am interested in either the 30, 50, or 70.   I just need to know which will hold a 1/2 gallon or less then I will pick one that I can fit a small but reliable heater in.

http://faq.hagencrm.com/details.asp?kbfaqid=22594&en

According to the specs, the AC 30 is 6 x 4 x 5.75".  That's 0.6 gallons, if you totally filled those dimensions with water.  The actual holding capacity of the filter should be significantly less.  So I believe that either the 20 or 30 would qualify (and you could use the AquaClear 30).

https://intankaquatics.com/shop-by-tank/aquaclear/aquaclear-30/

The AC 50 is just an inch longer, making it 0.7 gallons if you filled those dimensions with water (which you can't).  I would guess that this is actually the largest AquaClear that is allowed, but we probably need someone to verify that first.

• Like 1

thank you seabass.  Now I can start researching heaters.  I have a 75 gallon that I have had about 8 months.  It has rock that I moved from my 29 gallon that I lost most of the rest of in the hurricane two years ago.( a foot of water in our house and no power for several days while we were kept off the island)  It now contains lots of growing frags and 17 rock flower anemones.

I am planning on taking a few of each zoa, some of my acans and mushrooms for this tank.  If all goes well I will add a few RFA later.  I want to set this tank up to last because it will be right next to my chair.  I have to use a machine that confines me to the chair for several hours a day due to an arm injury and this contest will encourage me to have a tank to  watch on both sides of my chair.  I can not wait to get all of the rules and the start day.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Ya, I have a canister and realllllly wanted to use it with glass pipes on a UNS tank with a in-line heater but I get that he wants to keep it simple and accessible to everyone. 

This is what i wanted to do

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

I just remembered that I have one spare HOB that I keep permanently on on one of my QT tanks. I measured it and the capacity is <0.5G (phew!). All I need is the confirmation for the contest rules, and I can pick up the tank some time next week (hopefully it's still there). 

This morning when I feed 1 capful of marine snow which requires I shut off my ac50 for an hour. I emptied the filter and it hold 4.5 cups X 8oz. = 36oz.  Convert to gallons 36oz. ./. 128oz. = .28 gallons.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thanks @debbeach13, good info!  Anybody have an AC 70 that they can check?

Hmm, I'll have to see if I have one in my parts graveyard. :unsure:

I have one boxed up in the basement. I can maybe dig it out after I feed the little one. We'll see if he's feeling cooperative!!

It holds 10 2/3 cups of water

Equal to 85.33 ounces

Equal to .667 gallons 

So that would be a no!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I have one boxed up in the basement. I can maybe dig it out after I feed the little one. We'll see if he's feeling cooperative!!

It holds 10 2/3 cups of water

Equal to 85.33 ounces

Equal to .667 gallons 

So that would be a no!!

1461048164_giphy(5).gif.0ac35f67f28aebb7f62b1dd35769d1b2.gif

• Haha 4
Just now, Friendly said:

question...how do you add a skimmer to a HoB?

just stick it in the hob part (some fit certain hobs ok) but I don't think skimmers are allowed? 

5 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

just stick it in the hob part (some fit certain hobs ok) but I don't think skimmers are allowed? 

for clarification, I meant surface skimmer...not protein skimmer.

the HoB's have a submerged siphon tube that they suck the water through, so confused how a surface skimmer can be added.

10 minutes ago, Friendly said:

for clarification, I meant surface skimmer...not protein skimmer.

the HoB's have a submerged siphon tube that they suck the water through, so confused how a surface skimmer can be added.

The tube goes inside a box with teeth.. the water has go go through the teeth to get to the tube. 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic