Pod Your Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

6 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

If you can locate a deep blue I really like it’s build quality, and for 13.99 it beats the price of a rimless

Ya I am going to look around... the rim may actually be useful for my build.

MainelyReefer
11 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Ya I am going to look around... the rim may actually be useful for my build.

If you find one and they don’t have the deep blue lid(you don’t want the aqueon one!) go on amazon soon and order the deep blue one as it is an item they give themselves a month to get to you... mines not even shipped but says March 20 arrival, just advanced from April 18th.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I was thinking no filter.

Am I the only one thinking no filter?

The longer I am in this hobby ... The more kiss I am becoming

I am also thinking no filter!  I was very pleased with how easy the creative container contest was to care for so this will be similar.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I just set up a 4th tank so I'm just going to ninja buy this and ask for forgiveness. Permission will never work at this point.

I had to make a deal with Vuitton when i came home with my 80g.

8 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Same goes for tanksE35426D1-3FDD-47F9-8145-5C05D5CD6F57.thumb.jpeg.c08990b5910f6803452941d4aadaf18b.jpeg

Coral i always say i got for "free" or traded for.

1 hour ago, GraniteReefer said:

If you can locate a deep blue I really like it’s build quality, and for 13.99 it beats the price of a rimless

I havent seen a deep blue i dont like. They are much better then aga, aqueon and marineland.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, JBM said:

I havent seen a deep blue i dont like. They are much better then aga, aqueon and marineland.

I may have complained to my husband, "but now people are talking about buying rimless tanks or finding a better quality tank than my janky, crooked, cheap-o tank. I can't compete with how sleek those will look!"

He transferred $300 to my bank account last night. :happydance:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
This guy is extra salty
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

I may have complained to my husband, "but now people are talking about buying rimless tanks or finding a better quality tank than my janky, crooked, cheap-o tank. I can't compete with how sleek those will look!"

I bet you used the sad puppy eyes 

🥺 

1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

😂 UNS tanks are no joke.  My LFS carries them and they are seriously beautiful.  Your husband will likey (assuming that's the tank you are going to get).  Dat 45 degree precision cut mitered edge doe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

😂 UNS tanks are no joke.  My LFS carries them and they are seriously beautiful.  Your husband will likey (assuming that's the tank you are going to get).  Dat 45 degree precision cut mitered edge doe.

My aqueon 2.5 gallon was $10 and it shows. The silicone is janky and either the glass of the tank or the rim is not level. I trust it to hold water, but you get what you pay for!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like for categories that will be judged

1. Most pleasing overall appearance  (this automatically includes aquascape, color, not cluttered with equipment) system.

2. Most well thought out, innovative, efficient system.  This should appeal to the participants who like the technical aspect of getting the most out of a limited equipment reef.

3. Best documented system, as this encourages participants to share their thought processes of why and how they are trying to accomplish certain goals for their tank.  We all can learn so much from this of what works and what does not work.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Send me half or I'm telling him about this ☝️

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1
3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'm getting excited about this.

My tank is 12 x 6.5 x 6 so I am in and ready to begin😁

what tank did you get?

I am a big confused by Chris' comment about dimensions, allowing some differences, being that when you do that, capacity goes up and it's no longer 2.5 gallons.

granted, I hope for a contest that allows for bigger tanks.  🙂 

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Friendly said:

what tank did you get?

I am a big confused by Chris' comment about dimensions, allowing some differences, being that when you do that, capacity goes up and it's no longer 2.5 gallons.

granted, I hope for a contest that allows for bigger tanks.  🙂 

He said we were allowed 2" because of the difference in tanks available.

We can't get aqueon here anymore unless its above 30g. By others comments I'm thinking aqueon may no longer make them.

I think topfin may be available at petsmart but I won't buy their tanks, very low quality.

It's a seapora tank I have lying around. I think by the dimensions its 2.2g

AngelFins.ca has the Aqueon 2.5 gal and AquariumDepot.ca or ReefSupplies.ca has the 2.5 gallon Marineland version.

I really want to get that 3 gallon long though, but it's sold out.  😞 

This guy is extra salty
7 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

I'd like to go ahead and input my FTS for the "Most Minimal" category 🙂 .

FTS 2 and a half.JPG

I like the “zen” look 👀 

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, NuisanceAlgaeCultivator said:

I'd like to go ahead and input my FTS for the "Most Minimal" category 🙂 .

FTS 2 and a half.JPG

Stocked prior to contest !!!

DISQUALIFIED 😎

• Haha 3
Christopher Marks
On 3/9/2019 at 8:42 AM, jbb_00 said:

Wanted to do a much smaller version of this but I'm feeling that it falls in the aio category 😕

Screenshot_20190309-094010_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0dd390d05db77030fbc13fa9d289b50.jpg

Ok, we need to settle this one, I'm looking for a general consensus. The potential for this seems to hinge upon this proposed equipment rule:

• 1x Internal submersible filter pump

And this optional equipment suggestion:

• Surface skimmer modifications

Either we allow this kind of filter, and other DIY internal filters that reside in the tank but do not divide the tank, or we nix this rule entirely and allow hang on back filters only. Personally, I'm inclined to say HOB filter Only to simplify things.

I don't want to stifle all creativity in this contest, but once again I'd like to reiterate the intent to provide a 'level playing field' when it comes to equipment options. I feel like we're starting to split hairs on some details while people find creative ways to build something outside the scope of the competition. We won't be able to appease everyone in our plans for this build contest.

HOB filter modifications will be allowed and encouraged. The mention of optimally allowing a surface skimmer was specifically included for the sake of improving the function of a HOB filter.

For those looking for potential tanks to use, I'll again reiterate the proposed rules

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

The idea is to have a tank that is as close as possible to the same dimensions as a classic 2.5 gallon tank. If the closest tank you can find is actually 12x7x7", 13x7x8," 12x8x8", rim or no rim, that is A-OK. If you're looking to go to the very limits of the rule with a 14x8x8" tank, we're not gonna stop you.

• Like 8
This guy is extra salty
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Ok, we need to settle this one, I'm looking for a general consensus. The potential for this seems to hinge upon this proposed equipment rule:

Either we allow this kind of filter, and other DIY internal filters that reside in the tank but do not divide the tank, or we nix this rule entirely and allow hang on back filters only. Personally, I'm inclined to say HOB filter Only to simplify things.

I don't want to stifle all creativity in this contest, but once again I'd like to reiterate the intent to provide a 'level playing field' when it comes to equipment options. I feel like we're starting to split hairs on some details while people find creative ways to build something outside the scope of the competition. We won't be able to appease everyone in our plans for this build contest.

HOB filter modifications will be allowed and encouraged. The mention of optimally allowing a surface skimmer was specifically included for the sake of improving the function of a HOB filter.

For those looking for potential tanks to use, I'll again reiterate the proposed rules

A Standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8" or near-equivalent dimension tank, glass or acrylic.

Max variance of 2" allowed in two dimensions only. Custom built tanks should adhere to standard 12 x 6 x 8 inch dimensions.

The idea is to have a tank that is as close as possible to the same dimensions as a classic 2.5 gallon tank. If the closest tank you can find is actually 12x7x7", 13x7x8," 12x8x8", rim or no rim, that is A-OK. If you're looking to go to the very limits of the rule with a 14x8x8" tank, we're not gonna stop you.

No external plumbing everything must be internal

allow this kind of filter, and other DIY internal filters that reside in the tank but do not divide the tank”

i can dig it

24 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

I can work with either, just thought it would be a cleaner look . 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Personally, I'm inclined to say HOB filter Only to simplify things...

HOB filter modifications will be allowed and encouraged.

Sounds like that was the intent of this contest all along.  I can get onboard with that.

Allowed:

• HOB filters (with a volume of no more than 0.5 gallons)
  • Modifications and inserts to the HOB filter that do not cause it to exceed the 0.5 gallon limit

I know a few people have already ordered internal filters.  Should internal filters be allowed?  And if they are, should DIY custom filters be allowed?  I know this is where things start getting gray.

• Like 2

I'm game for those clarifications, but lean towards HoB filters as well, for simplicity and ease of policing.

/me starts looking for a 14" x 8" x 8" rimless low iron tank...

when does the contest start?  😄 

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic