Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

8 minutes ago, seabass said:

There are a bunch of internal filters that are fairly similar.  Maybe you can find one of those you like.  The rules state "1x Internal submersible filter pump".

My idea was a small corner overflow box with a mini jet 606 at the bottom, a small heater , and a shelf for floss. 

Nothing crazy , just a diy with surface skimming

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

A lot of people will be using existing equipment.  So the only reason to wait would be to make sure that whatever you purchase is allowed (as the rules are just "proposed" at this point).

Well I said screw it and while drinking last night ordered one...........hopefully it falls in the parameters........

2 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

My idea was a small corner overflow box with a mini jet 606 at the bottom, a small heater , and a shelf for floss. 

Nothing crazy , just a diy with surface skimming

Yes surface skimming is needed.....thats the only thing I did not like about the aqua clear filters.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud here, if 2" is allowed in 2 dimensions, what about 4" total in 3 dimensions, this may allow for some flexibility. 12x12x6, 12x10x8, 16x6x8 etc would all fit into the 4" total rule.

Personally I like the "stock"ish 2.5 gallon approach, but have no problem if others want to take the contest into the free form realm rather then "stock" tanks. The reason being is there are a lot of different shapes of tanks at or around 2.5 gallons.

As I say, just a thought, I don't mind if you disagree because I'm not really sold on it myself.

Underworld2.0
26 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

You can purchase whatever you want. We just don't know 100% what is allowed until the official contest thread is posted.

I don't get why this seems so hard... 

That's cool! Where'd you find it?

Not hard at all, and definitely get what he is saying that with out the official rules, purchases may be in haste but the simple items can be had, it's not hard to get when the official rules haven't been posted 

1 minute ago, righttirefire said:

https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/magnetic-surface-skimmer-overflow-box-aquaclear-ac50/

I was going to use one of these... but its a divided chamber.

Maybe you need to stay in minicomplete sump zone @jbb_00, pico might not be your thing. lol

I wouldnt consider that a divided chamber as compared to an AIO chamber. Only thing is I think its to tall. Also would not be hard to make something like that.

19 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Optional Allowed Equipment 

• Surface skimmer modifications

17 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I think that falls into the wall/divider category. Which is  no

Ya'll are giving me a f'ing headache!!

🤦‍♀️

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Wanted to do a much smaller version of this but I'm feeling that it falls in the aio category 😕

Screenshot_20190309-094010_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0dd390d05db77030fbc13fa9d289b50.jpg

Yeah I was thinking the same thing actually. What is the reasoning behind this not being allowed if an HOB is subsequently adding more water volume? Not upset just curious

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, wetsocks said:

OK thanks cause I'm heading out to run errands if they have a tank I was going to grab one.

Just keep in mind that you can't get it wet until the contest begins.  You will be required to post of pic of your dry tank with either an object or a written note to begin the contest.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

What about cycling? Can we have rocks in other tanks? To shorten the cycle?

My *opinion* is that's probably ok. That isn't much different than buying liverock.

So far there have been no proposed stipulations placed on rock/sand/livestock.

59 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

What about cycling? Can we have rocks in other tanks? To shorten the cycle?

Probably can't really put any limitations on this, but will be harder for us folks starting from scratch (i.e., no other tanks from which to pull rocks, water, filter media, etc. to speed up cycle) since we will be adding livestock a lot later than those with established tanks.  Ok, done playing my pico sized violin now.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Tigahboy said:

Probably can't really put any limitations on this, but will be harder for us folks starting from scratch (i.e., no other tanks from which to pull rocks, water, filter media, etc. to speed up cycle) since we will be adding livestock a lot later than those with established tanks.  Ok, done playing my pico sized violin now.  🙂

5 gallon bucket + powerhead

• Like 2
Just now, kimberbee said:

5 gallon bucket + powerhead

Lol. Very true.  I actually do have a container, heater, and powerhead ready.  Just need to find some LR and buy some salt now.  

• Like 1

I personally like that the dimensions are generally in the same shape because then everyone is generally on a level playing field.  It will challenge us to be innovative with the footprint given.  Also it's a common rectangular shape that can inspire 'would be' reefers to try their hand at it, without sinking a huge amount of money into it.

I am excited about this contest!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Justind823 said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing actually. What is the reasoning behind this not being aloud if an HOB is subsequently adding more water volume? Not upset just curious

"AIO dividers have been excluded because, while they do not increase the volume of the tank, they may change the 'view port' and tank footprint that is common amongst all competing tanks." - Chris

9 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

"AIO dividers have been excluded because, while they do not increase the volume of the tank, they may change the 'view port' and tank footprint that is common amongst all competing tanks." - Chris

If done as a traditional aio then I agree , but a 3.5"x2.5" box in the rear corner isn't really going to change anything. The add on surface skimmers pretty much take up the same room.

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic