Cultivated Reef

Pico Reef Contest Ideas 🤔💭💡

Christopher Marks

17 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Does anyone know if the seachem tidal 35 is <.5g

Not sure, but the Tidal 55 is only 0.32 gallons.  However, the 55 is a bit too tall for a 2.5 gal.

Edit: I didn't see that JBM had already answered this.

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone, those of you who were thinking of using the old style 2.5 AGA (Aqueon) black rim tank...a heads up-they are not easy to find.  Petco has them when you look online for 'in store pick up' but most stores do not have them anymore.  I was told that Petco is discontinuing them.  I could not find them anywhere else.  Just fyi.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Hey everyone, those of you who were thinking of using the old style 2.5 AGA (Aqueon) black rim tank...a heads up-they are not easy to find.  Petco has them when you look online for 'in store pick up' but most stores do not have them anymore.  I was told that Petco is discontinuing them.  I could not find them anywhere else.  Just fyi.

Yep, was at 2 different Petco today and neither of them had the 2.5

1 hour ago, JBM said:

well, this is my plan. As i have a bunch of rubble in my 80g. SO, whenever contest officially begins. I will be plucking said rubble and 2g of water from it.

That was sort of my plan to.......the 100 can lose a few gallons as it does everyday just on evap alone......

29 minutes ago, vlangel said:

22 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

I stopped in a local pet store that is known for freshwater stuff today and they had a aqueon 2.5 for 23 bucks I think. They had a lot of small tanks ranging from 2 to 5 gallons. I was sort of surprised to see what was out there.

So just dont look at Petco.

• Wow 1
MainelyReefer

Are we sure we don’t want to allow exterior plumbing to and from a pump, or a false wall to conceal the pump.  Just look at the hideousness of a sicce .527C2E1D5-0380-4690-8BB0-A542E0A2217A.thumb.jpeg.6aa9bd1fec204a5820bbdcea43da52e7.jpeg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

I was told that Petco is discontinuing them.  I could not find them anywhere else.  Just fyi.

1 hour ago, jbb_00 said:

Not sure if you guys saw that I found mine at a Pet Supplies Plus. 

17 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Just look at the hideousness of a sicce .5

There are a number of HOB filters that can provide enough flow on their own (and be much less conspicuous).

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, spectra said:

That was sort of my plan to.......the 100 can lose a few gallons as it does everyday just on evap alone......

Thats terrible. My 80 loses maybe a gallon a week.

Petland and petswarehouse carries deep blue 2.5g's i think they are $12

1 minute ago, JBM said:

Thats terrible. My 80 loses maybe a gallon a week.

Petland and petswarehouse carries deep blue 2.5g's i think they are $12

Well my 100 is 48x30 rimless set up and all depends on the weather to.....I have a 25 gallon ATO so no issues.

2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Daaaaang... mine was $10.

Well you probably didnt get it at some swanky overpriced yuppy pet store either :lol: plus if they are discontinued well there a collectors item now........

• Haha 2
MainelyReefer
8 minutes ago, seabass said:

There are a number of HOB filters that can provide enough flow on their own (and be much less conspicuous).

Can’t be run as easily with a glass lid.  Drilling a hole in the glass lid is harder than siliconing in a small wall.  I also don’t want filtration

Underworld2.0
2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Does anyone know if the seachem tidal 35 is <.5g

Just under according to the website, I plan to use the same 

On 3/9/2019 at 7:42 AM, jbb_00 said:

Wanted to do a much smaller version of this but I'm feeling that it falls in the aio category 😕

Screenshot_20190309-094010_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c0dd390d05db77030fbc13fa9d289b50.jpg

that looks like more of an internal filter to me...  :rolleyes: 

9 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Can’t be run as easily with a glass lid.  Drilling a hole in the glass lid is harder than siliconing in a small wall.

Aqueon-Versa-Top-Hinged-Glass-Top-12-034-x-6-034-Fits-Aquarium-Size-2-5gal

The Aqueon Versa hinged top has a plastic extension on the back for a HOB filter.
13 minutes ago, spectra said:

Well my 100 is 48x30 rimless set up and all depends on the weather to.....I have a 25 gallon ATO so no issues.

Well you probably didnt get it at some swanky overpriced yuppy pet store either :lol: plus if they are discontinued well there a collectors item now........

My 80 is 48x24x18, but i have glass tops and a huge 36"pm refugium.

Anybody thinking about using an under gravel filter and crushed coral?

Lee's 13210 Original Under Gravel Filter, 10 x 20 Inch

Without fish, maybe that's not that such a crazy idea.

I have been a member since 2006 and have not participated in anything on here before.  I hope you guys decide how we are going to set them up so I can get the parts to do this.  I just think it should be a 2 1/2 gallon with one HOB and you can put anything you want in the tank.  If you want to fill it with equipment fine it will just leave less room for rock and coral.  It would be your choice.

• Like 3
Frag Factory

I'm really looking forward to this.

I viewed the UK equivalent tank today (12x5x7), it looks bloody awful. The rim on the UK tank is way too big to use any sort of HOB filter or mount a light to.

I think using a 12x8x8 tank is cheating, so I'm probably going to make a tank to the USA spec out of acrylic. 

For someone who has never use acrylic, what thickness do you think is best?

MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, seabass said:
Aqueon-Versa-Top-Hinged-Glass-Top-12-034-x-6-034-Fits-Aquarium-Size-2-5gal

The Aqueon Versa hinged top has a plastic extension on the back for a HOB filter.

No it doesn’t have a plastic hinge sectionimage.thumb.jpg.621cc81ce767354745f2a027a1e143a1.jpg

I already bought the undergravel filter arrives tomorrow! That’s the funny part is I wouldn’t even be making a false wall probably I just don’t want everyone set up for ugliness and want the ability to alter the design if I deem necessary

4 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

No it doesn’t have a plastic hinge section

I actually like that better, but they do sell a hinged Versa Top for that tank too.

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Anybody thinking about using an under gravel filter and crushed coral?

Lee's 13210 Original Under Gravel Filter, 10 x 20 Inch

Without fish, maybe that's not that such a crazy idea.

I was thinking no filter.

Am I the only one thinking no filter?

The longer I am in this hobby ... The more kiss I am becoming

• Like 3
righttirefire
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I was thinking no filter.

Am I the only one thinking no filter?

The longer I am in this hobby ... The more kiss I am becoming

I might bow out of this before it starts... i should be picking up my new tank soon. Does a 25 lagoon count? It has a 25 in it. But its an aio. Nevermind

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic