Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Other posters are right. An RO/DI unit might not be a cool looking fancy coral, but it's an equipment you need. There's many choices To make in this hobby but an ro/DI unit isn't one of them. You need it. People are gonna start to get annoyed; we are trying to help you and you shut us down. I would love being able to stay at home too, but I'm a nurse so I can't. Use this free time wisely and get yourself and RO/DI unit 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
NaturallyKait

You’re missing the point. Your tank is doing ok right now, and you have the spare cash right now. Next time your tank goes through a hard time you may not. It’s about being prepared and proactive instead of constantly having to scramble when things go downhill. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, kimberbee said:

L O L...

Are you new to this thread? 🤣

Nope...sligthly naive I guess, living in my unicorn kingdom made of rainbows😅😅😅😅

• Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Other posters are right. An RO/DI unit might not be a cool looking fancy coral, but it's an equipment you need. There's many choices To make in this hobby but an ro/DI unit isn't one of them. You need it. People are gonna start to get annoyed; we are trying to help you and you shut us down. I would love being able to stay at home too, but I'm a nurse so I can't. Use this free time wisely and get yourself and RO/DI unit 😉

What’s the problem with just buying distilled water tho?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

What’s the problem with just buying distilled water tho?

In the long run it's more expensive, and if you have an emergency and need to do a major waterchange you won't be able to do so if you don't have enough. Also, you have to go out and get it. I was doing it when I had a 10g and got fed up with this soon enough lol. Trust us, it will help you more than you think!

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Emergencies. I'm in the same situation, cheaper to buy distilled or 0tds for me then home rodi

I should honestly invest in a rodi unit, I know that I will need one eventually. But I doubt my college will let me have one. I could buy one and use it now ig and save it till after college🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Emergencies. I'm in the same situation, cheaper to buy distilled or 0tds for me then home rodi

Can you explain this to me , I dont understand how this is true . 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I found this on eBay, will this work for now? I know it’s not the best one, but will it work?

1BA8178B-CA98-4325-98C3-622939F411BF.png

It can work but you need to replace the filters since it's used. 

I think a new unit is $140 @Marine Depot which would be cheaper than rebuilding that $70 unit 

Edit 

Di = $30 

Ro = $60 

Sediment and carbon  = $21 together 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Can you explain this to me , I dont understand how this is true . 

If I buy a RODI machine the water amount that I put through it will cost me more money from my water provider  than a spotless water account where I can buy 0TDS water for a fraction of the price, plus no wastage 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

If I buy a RODI machine the water amount that I put through it will cost me more money from my water provider  than a spotless water account where I can buy 0TDS water for a fraction of the price, plus no wastage 

Ok I think I remember this from a prior conversation they screw you guys over there. Lol .  I'm thinking the way they do water prices here. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Emergencies.

Like right now, in the US, where there's purchase limits on buying water. If you can even find it... I'm sure there's people who's tanks will suffer. 

My mom almost ran out of distilled for her sleep apnea machine, arguably much more important that water for a reef tank. Luckily, I was able to find some for her. 

• Like 5
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just found out that you can actually make distilled water at home? This may be really stupid, or it’s ingenious? I honestly don’t know. But if you boil tap water and put something to collect the evaporation from the boiled tap water, it will actually work. I kinda wanna try it. But it’s probably stupid. There’s probably a reason people don’t do this. It does seem to take a lot of time.

33 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just found out that you can actually make distilled water at home? This may be really stupid, or it’s ingenious? I honestly don’t know. But if you boil tap water and put something to collect the evaporation from the boiled tap water, it will actually work. I kinda wanna try it. But it’s probably stupid. There’s probably a reason people don’t do this. It does seem to take a lot of time.

The cost of small-scale heating outweighs that of simply purchasing DI water by an inane amount.

2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I found this on eBay, will this work for now? I know it’s not the best one, but will it work?

1BA8178B-CA98-4325-98C3-622939F411BF.png

Do you know the TDS of your water and if they use chloramines?

They don't use standard filters so it may not be worth it for certain water sources. 

47 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Someone tried this and it did not work d/t contaminants (not sure where from but they were getting in somehow). They used distiller you can buy. They were trying it since they had a small pico. 

Definitely not practicable for a 29g. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Someone tried this and it did not work d/t contaminants (not sure where from but they were getting in somehow). They used distiller you can buy. They were trying it since they had a small pico. 

Definitely not practicable for a 29g. 

Ah ok, I thought it was too good to be true😂

ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Like right now, in the US, where there's purchase limits on buying water. If you can even find it... I'm sure there's people who's tanks will suffer. 

My mom almost ran out of distilled for her sleep apnea machine, arguably much more important that water for a reef tank. Luckily, I was able to find some for her. 

Can you not make it for her with your RODI unit?

• Like 1

I just wouldn't say you can't do a water change d/t money. That's what savings and emergency funds are for. I keep a savings just for my pets because shit happens. If your light decides to just break (because sometimes shit happens)... you should be able to buy a new one without much fuss (example). 

Getting water right now is not reliable which is a bummer for many reasons... and its projected this will only get worse. Hopefully supply can keep up.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Can you not make it for her with your RODI unit?

I could, but with the logistics of having a container to put it in, it was just easier for me to buy it for her. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I just wouldn't say you can't do a water change d/t money. That's what savings and emergency funds are for. I keep a savings just for my pets because shit happens. If your light decides to just break (because sometimes shit happens)... you should be able to buy a new one without much fuss (example). 

Getting water right now is not reliable which is a bummer for many reasons... and its projected this will only get worse. Hopefully supply can keep up.

I literally have 2 extra lights besides the one I’m using that are both expensive lights, so I’m good on extra lighting if something happens😂

31 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I literally have 2 extra lights besides the one I’m using that are both expensive lights, so I’m good on extra lighting if something happens😂

It was just an example...anything can happen. You want to be able to afford water otherwise buying coral is a waste if you can't keep the tank happy. 

• Like 2