SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I feel like these green zoas are a different type of morph than the radioactive dragon eyes. They just seem different. My water was so clear I was actually able to get pictures from the top down 

8A645230-F729-47FF-B388-4899F3191B75.jpeg

3786526D-E245-4772-B624-CABA684C139E.jpeg

E0A63301-8E63-43D1-B365-DE3867B41748.jpeg

44F3DEA9-A594-4E99-803A-83265B9C5147.jpeg

F339D207-590B-4C14-BAD7-85C57753FE92.jpeg

64D4D747-02FA-4AF5-8F8C-311867445B5E.jpeg

E500CD47-B1CD-40F0-8C6A-8AC8AF429801.jpeg

F77BD730-310E-480E-9C25-160AF78C1CAD.jpeg

D3DDA5D0-2204-4CBA-B892-BBEF8262ECE3.jpeg

E289EF8A-A0CF-4F41-8141-F148324134CE.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My jawbreaker actually decided to come loose and started roaming around the tank, but can’t find a place to stay. When a mushroom comes loose doesn’t it leave behind a small baby? I don’t see anything? Is it so small that I won’t see anything for a while? 

The long tentacle is kinda upset bc I just moved him, he was too close to the Haitian nem.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also figured out the problem with my carpet nem. He wasn’t getting enough food. I was feeding him the other day and I gave him food, I come back and literally everything in the tank was trying to steal his food, so now I’m covering him every time I feed so his food can’t be stolen. He’s looking a bit better than he was, his colors are coming back

My trachy also looks like it may be growing a new mouth, it seems to be trying to stretch its body in 3 separate directions like its gonna have 3 mouths, it have 2 right now.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve almost gotten rid of all the aptasia in my tank as well. There’s just a few stragglers that keep evading me.

Does any of my sps look like they’ve grown? I feel like the monti has grown a bit and maybe the smaller birdsnest. Not sure tho.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I have a quick question. So my jawbreaker decided to jump off its rock and free float around the tank. It didn’t leave behind any babies that I can see, but he’s been free floating for about 3 days? Right now i positioned him in a spot where there is minimal flow with about 7 frag plugs around him, so if he does decide to attach, it will be on a plug. But so far he hasn’t stuck anywhere? He’s about an inch and a half across his face and is still open and looks good, but he’s not attaching? How long does it usually take?

39 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I have a quick question. So my jawbreaker decided to jump off its rock and free float around the tank. It didn’t leave behind any babies that I can see, but he’s been free floating for about 3 days? Right now i positioned him in a spot where there is minimal flow with about 7 frag plugs around him, so if he does decide to attach, it will be on a plug. But so far he hasn’t stuck anywhere? He’s about an inch and a half across his face and is still open and looks good, but he’s not attaching? How long does it usually take?

It depends on the mushroom. You may have to put it in a cup with some rubble or it will continue to blow around. 

things look surprisingly good in there considering all the recent issues.😊

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
50 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Some attach fairly quickly, others can take a week or more. Just be patient, and keep an eye on it. You may need to put it in a cup with the plugs, if it gets blown around again. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
22 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

It depends on the mushroom. You may have to put it in a cup with some rubble or it will continue to blow around. 

things look surprisingly good in there considering all the recent issues.😊

I know, I’m surprised myself right now. The bloom even seemed to cause a lot of growth in my corals as well. My Duncan has grown two new heads in that time and is growing very fast and my kinda rainbow looking acan has grown a good at least 6 heads. He’s definitely grown the fastest out of everything in my tank. But im trying my best to keep things stable in the tank. Which it’s kinda hard when my parents won’t let me go out much to get water for my tank. But I’m trying my best. Me being home so much tho recently bc schools are shut down has really been giving me the time I need to spend on my tank. I have so much free time. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Some attach fairly quickly, others can take a week or more. Just be patient, and keep an eye on it. You may need to put it in a cup with the plugs, if it gets blown around again. 

Alright thanks, if it’s not attached by tonight I’ll put it in a cup and wait for it to attach. 

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I also bought my first bounce mushroom finally. I saved up the money and I ordered a godspawn bounce mushroom. It’s supposed to be here tomorrow. I’ll get some pics then. I’m hoping it reproduces rather quickly, bc I heard they do reproduce fast. I made this as a kinda investment, bc I was gonna wait for it to create some babies and sell those, bc I need some money for college.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So I was impressed a lot when my order came in. I ordered from a small local business in California that’s doing their best to not lose the company during this hard time. I like to order from places like that. Well back to the point, the packaging for the shipment was amazing, everything was extremely well packaged and did not have any leakage. I acclimated everything to the tank and put it in. I only ordered 2 mushrooms. The godspawn bounce and an inch and a half discosoma mushroom called a lemon drop mushroom. I bought the lemon drop mushroom for literally 5 bucks. I feel like that was a deal on its own. For the size of the mushroom and everything. But that’s not all. The bounce that I bought was supposed to only be half an inch or 3/4 of an inch, but this thing arrived and it looks like it’s a good inch and a half in diameter. And this is where the best deal comes in, I only paid $100 for the godspawn bounce! I’ve seen godspawns for sale on other sites for way more than 100. Actually the cheapest I’ve ever seen one was $200. So I got an amazing deal on everything, but wait, there’s more. This guy even including two free mushrooms with my order. I never even asked him to, but he did anyway. If I ordered this exact order on another site, it would’ve been well over $250 dollars most likely. I only paid $105 for everything, not including shipping tho. The two freebies weren’t just your common bland mushrooms either. One was a Superman discosoma mushroom, and the other I don’t have a name for, but it’s a really good size and it has bright neon green dots. I highly recommend that you guys check him out. He also has so many acros for sale and they seem like pretty good prices. The website is called coralcollectors.com. I’ll have to get pictures of everything here in a little bit when everything opens up. The website is run by a guy named Jason and he’s a really nice guy trying to get by during this crisis. So if you all want to help him out at all, just check out his website and maybe buy a few things. I just feel bad for these smaller businesses that are struggling.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I do have some bad news tho, I woke up this morning and one of my trachys mouths was torn open on the side. He still has his other mouth and that side of him looks fine, but the side torn open does not look fine. I haven’t added anything new into the tank, so I didn’t know what could’ve done this, then about 15 minutes ago, I went to check on my tank and there was one of my emerald crabs about to go at the trachy again. I quickly got the crab out and banished him. But I need to know, do you guys think that the trachy will survive? His left side doesn’t look good, but his right looks fine.

AED33B7A-86C7-447E-B97E-A0A0CF28C14E.jpeg

1C3F0DFC-9D82-4142-A016-B576BD1F5634.jpeg

• Sad 1

So you cant afford rodi and proper equipment / materials to care for your tank, but you can afford a bounce . 

That's some pure dumbassery there . 

:slap:

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
19 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

So you cant afford rodi and proper equipment / materials to care for your tank, but you can afford a bounce . 

I mean, I can’t even afford a bounce over most stuff. But I couldn’t live without my RODI filters and being able to make water for the tanks whenever I need it. Consider- I can take care of my tanks for over a month right now without having to break corona quarantine. It’s not a race to have the most stuff in your tank Ethan. It’s about husbandry and caring for them right.

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

I got the bounce for $100, it was a pretty good deal if I say so myself. And I actually found a used rodi unit on Craigslist near me for 50, I’m thinking about making a grab for that. I’m not super low on money right now, I was, but I was working a bunch with my family and I raised money to buy this and to have a little extra spending money. Good thing about being a senior in highschool is that you don’t have really any bills to pay. So my money is stable really. A few weeks ago tho, I literally only had like 10 bucks, but my grandpa pays good if I help him on his farm.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I mean, I can’t even afford a bounce over most stuff. But I couldn’t live without my RODI filters and being able to make water for the tanks whenever I need it. Consider- I can take care of my tanks for over a month right now without having to break corona quarantine. It’s not a race to have the most stuff in your tank Ethan. It’s about husbandry and caring for them right.

The only problem with me buying a rodi unit tho is that I’m going off to college in the fall and I’m downgrading to a smaller tank. I don’t think I can take my rodi unit with me. Well I’m not sure. Right beside the college is a dollar general 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
Just now, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The only problem with me buying a rodi unit tho is that I’m going off to college in the fall and I’m downgrading to a smaller tank. I don’t think I can take my rodi unit with me. Well I’m not sure. Right beside the college is a dollar general 

Remember how just a week ago you had a bacterial bloom and you kept saying you couldn’t do daily water changes or even very frequent ones because you couldn’t afford the distilled water to make saltwater? Or how strapped you’d be to get a UV filter? But you just paid what a shrewd observer would say amounts to both an RODI filter and/or MANY bottles of distilled. Many many since they only cost a buck or so. It kind of hurts any credit you have to say you can’t afford to take care of your tank correctly but you can turn around the very next week and buy a ton more animals. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My tank is also not doing bad right now. I’m doing 5 gallon water changes every week. Not big water changes, but it seems to be working. Me being at home lately, I literally have nothing to do, bc schools are shut down, gives me so much free time to work on my tanks husbandry. I haven’t been slacking. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Remember how just a week ago you had a bacterial bloom and you kept saying you couldn’t do daily water changes or even very frequent ones because you couldn’t afford the distilled water to make saltwater? Or how strapped you’d be to get a UV filter? But you just paid what a shrewd observer would say amounts to both an RODI filter and/or MANY bottles of distilled. Many many since they only cost a buck or so. It kind of hurts any credit you have to say you can’t afford to take care of your tank correctly but you can turn around the very next week and buy a ton more animals. 

As I said I was able to get the money saved up. I’m not low on cash right now. I have plenty to take care of the tank as well as buy a few neat things here and there