ReefCleaners.org

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It was just an example...anything can happen. You want to be able to afford water otherwise buying coral is a waste if you can't keep the tank happy. 

Yea true, well it looks like I’m buying a rodi unit, what’s the cheapest one I can buy? It doesn’t need to be fancy, it just needs to work

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea true, well it looks like I’m buying a rodi unit, what’s the cheapest one I can buy? It doesn’t need to be fancy, it just needs to work

You need to know your water. Some people need more stages then others and some need chloromine filters. So look it up...should be public knowledge on your water municipal site of what it is in.

Ask your local reefing community the TDS of the tap and how many stages they use...etc.

This is assuming you are not on a well.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 3/28/2020 at 3:24 PM, Tamberav said:

You need to know your water. Some people need more stages then others and some need chloromine filters. So look it up...should be public knowledge on your water municipal site of what it is in.

Ask your local reefing community the TDS of the tap and how many stages they use...etc.

This is assuming you are not on a well.

I’m not on a well, I wouldn’t even consider putting water near my tank if I was on a well. Even with a rodi unit, I’d be scared. Only problem is, I don’t have a local reefing community. I found a Facebook group for all of West Virginia, but not just my town.

7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not on a well, I wouldn’t even consider putting water near my tank if I was on a well. Even with a rodi unit, I’d be scared. Only problem is, I don’t have a local reefing community. I found a Facebook group for all of West Virginia, but not just my town.

Look up whoever supplies your water, they should supply a report and look for chloramines. Thats a place to start. You can also buy a cheap handheld TDS meter (which you will probably want/need for a RODI anyways) and test the TDS of your tap. 

Handheld TDS is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NinHappy-0-9999ppm-Accuracy-Drinking-Aquariums/dp/B07SQ7YMXC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Look up whoever supplies your water, they should supply a report and look for chloramines. Thats a place to start. You can also buy a cheap handheld TDS meter (which you will probably want/need for a RODI anyways) and test the TDS of your tap. 

Handheld TDS is something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/NinHappy-0-9999ppm-Accuracy-Drinking-Aquariums/dp/B07SQ7YMXC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Well before I do that, would any of these be an option for me at all?

BDDEA682-D157-49EE-B7FD-E7B4FC34B2BF.png

FF498C60-C33D-47BA-8CDB-EE1F395B0EB8.png

F2D70B64-B6F0-487B-99F3-38C88B98F1D2.png

6032E2E9-90DA-43BC-8967-78D047EAB9B4.png

1A5D7199-79C8-4042-BC6C-14B67ED1CCD3.png

FA71B2F9-2D34-4929-B7AC-0CFDC44121EF.png

You need RODI - some of those are RO only.

I prefer the ones that use standard cartridges. In the small DI canisters, the water can make a channel and not be effectively filtered, especially since some of those only have one tiny one. 

Again you are asking which to buy but you NEED TO KNOW YOUR WATER or anything you buy is a crapshoot. If your water is high TDS which chloramines then those are junk. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’m not on a well, I wouldn’t even consider putting water near my tank if I was on a well. 

May people run reefs very successfully off of filtered well water... 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

May people run reefs very successfully off of filtered well water... 

really? I read somewhere that someone used well water, but also filtered it and it destroyed their tank. I feel like I read that on reef2reef?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I asked my friend who lives downtown from me and he said that he tested his spicket water last week and it was 110 chloramines

He says it changes monthly for him tho

I think you mean TDS. Chloramine is a type of treatment some use that is more difficult to remove then just chlorine. 

22 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

really? I read somewhere that someone used well water, but also filtered it and it destroyed their tank. I feel like I read that on reef2reef?

Clearly he didn't filter it well enough... maybe he had some old copper pipes.. who knows.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

My friend who lives downtown just recommend this to me. Seems like a pretty good deal and the reviews are good. He says that he doesn’t use it, but he said that it should work fine for me

5EE5AE1D-737B-4BC3-9A66-F31064EBDB36.png

NaturallyKait

You still ideally want to know about chloramines. I actually just bought a RODI system myself yesterday. I couldn’t get anyone to answer a question about if they use chloramines here due to the pandemic, so I just gave in and ordered a system that can handle them in case while I keep trying to get the right people but I didn’t want to wait any longer because access to distilled water is getting low because it’s needed for medical reasons. Better safe than sorry, but it is more expensive. 

As for that RO Buddie system take a good luck at how much the filter replacements will cost you. Most of the time it’s the same or even more than the unit itself because it uses those special tiny cartridges. There’s also what Tamberav pointed out above about the smaller ones having issues. You can’t cheap out on water. It’ll cost you more in the long run. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, NaturallyKait said:

You still ideally want to know about chloramines. I actually just bought a RODI system myself yesterday. I couldn’t get anyone to answer a question about if they use chloramines here due to the pandemic, so I just gave in and ordered a system that can handle them in case while I keep trying to get the right people but I didn’t want to wait any longer because access to distilled water is getting low because it’s needed for medical reasons. Better safe than sorry, but it is more expensive. 

As for that RO Buddie system take a good luck at how much the filter replacements will cost you. Most of the time it’s the same or even more than the unit itself because it uses those special tiny cartridges. There’s also what Tamberav pointed out above about the smaller ones having issues. You can’t cheap out on water. It’ll cost you more in the long run. 

I’ve read about the filter and the reviews have said that other people’s filters lasted them almost a year and they didn’t have to replace them until then. I don’t know much about rodi units, I just dont want to be spending big bucks, considering I’ll only be using it for maybe 4 to 5 months

NaturallyKait
25 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I’ve read about the filter and the reviews have said that other people’s filters lasted them almost a year and they didn’t have to replace them until then. I don’t know much about rodi units, I just dont want to be spending big bucks, considering I’ll only be using it for maybe 4 to 5 months

How long they last is going to be very dependent on your water and what’s in it. Again, this is where the chloramines question comes in. It could mean the difference between the filters lasting a year, or lasting weeks. I know you don’t want to spend the money on it, and I know you’re probably not going to listen, but everyone here is telling you you need this information for a reason. 

• Like 3
mitten_reef

Alternatively, just don't buy one.  problem solved....  If it really doesn't suit your lifestyle, or life's plans then just don't do it because people told you to.  Just know that you can't keep dragging your feet on water changes (so that it doesn't require large amount of water all at once) and always having enough on hands in case of emergency.   

I've been reefing since 2013, never once owned an RODI unit.  BUT I have always had a trusted LFS along the way that I relied on for RO water - as they called it, not sure if any of the stores even had DI stage (too expensive for them with the volume that they go thru).  Both of my current LFS are service company first, retail second.  Their RO water service their entire client portfolios, so they keep them in good shape as far as I can tell.  clean water = clean clients' tanks = happy clients.  no I haven't tested TDS or anything like that either.  So yes, you can reef without RODI unit of your own, just have to be vigilant about your fresh water supply, always have enough on hands for at least 1-2 weeks surplus for both top off and to mix new batch of saltwater.  With all these stay-at-home thing, I'm getting dangerously low on my water supply, but LFS is still opened for pick up - which I may have to make a run for more water this week.          

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Alternatively, just don't buy one.  problem solved....  If it really doesn't suit your lifestyle, or life's plans then just don't do it because people told you to.  Just know that you can't keep dragging your feet on water changes (so that it doesn't require large amount of water all at once) and always having enough on hands in case of emergency.   

I've been reefing since 2013, never once owned an RODI unit.  BUT I have always had a trusted LFS along the way that I relied on for RO water - as they called it, not sure if any of the stores even had DI stage (too expensive for them with the volume that they go thru).  Both of my current LFS are service company first, retail second.  Their RO water service their entire client portfolios, so they keep them in good shape as far as I can tell.  clean water = clean clients' tanks = happy clients.  no I haven't tested TDS or anything like that either.  So yes, you can reef without RODI unit of your own, just have to be vigilant about your fresh water supply, always have enough on hands for at least 1-2 weeks surplus for both top off and to mix new batch of saltwater.  With all these stay-at-home thing, I'm getting dangerously low on my water supply, but LFS is still opened for pick up - which I may have to make a run for more water this week.          

I usually just get distilled water, but all the stores have been really low on distilled lately. Probably bc the hospitals need it. But I still have enough distilled stored up for about 2 weeks. So I’m probably gonna either need a ro/di unit before it runs out. You guys are right tho, the worst thing would be to not have water to do my water changes and top offs. I would get ro/di water from my LFS, but they shut down all unessential businesses where I’m at and I guess that’s considered unessential

16 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

How long they last is going to be very dependent on your water and what’s in it. Again, this is where the chloramines question comes in. It could mean the difference between the filters lasting a year, or lasting weeks. I know you don’t want to spend the money on it, and I know you’re probably not going to listen, but everyone here is telling you you need this information for a reason. 

My friend told me 110 chloramines? Is that not right?

Hospitals are not getting their water from Walmart,   I promise . 

Your friend is probably measuring TDS (total dissolved solids) , not chloramines 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
20 minutes ago, jbb_00 said:

Hospitals are not getting their water from Walmart,   I promise . 

Your friend is probably measuring TDS (total dissolved solids) , not chloramines 

Oh, he told me that 110 was the chloramines. I’ll have to ask him again.

7 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Oh, he told me that 110 was the chloramines. I’ll have to ask him again.

110 what ? 

4 parts per million or less is what is considered safe in drinking water 

NaturallyKait

As pointed out twice now, that’s not how chloramines are measured so it doesn’t make sense. If you have chloramines none of those systems are going to work for you. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It doesn't matter what reviews say.... you don't have their water so who cares what they say lol

the DI on that one isn't great... those tiny things don't channel the water well... and you take the chance of something being 'missed' which won't necessarily show up in TDS meter. It will work well enough if you have no chloramine and your TDS is low (buy a tester!! you will need one for a RODI ANYWAYS!!)

Why don't you just buy a TDS meter and check your city water (mine was posted online) for chloramine like I said? You need to do both those things anyways. 

it's like you are half assing everything because its easier. What I am asking you to do is simple and you are not in school so you aren't busy..... no excuses. 

• Like 7
mitten_reef
24 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

it's like you are half assing everything because its easier. What I am asking you to do is simple and you are not in school so you aren't busy..... no excuses. 

😉😂

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

It doesn't matter what reviews say.... you don't have their water so who cares what they say lol

the DI on that one isn't great... those tiny things don't channel the water well... and you take the chance of something being 'missed' which won't necessarily show up in TDS meter. It will work well enough if you have no chloramine and your TDS is low (buy a tester!! you will need one for a RODI ANYWAYS!!)

Why don't you just buy a TDS meter and check your city water (mine was posted online) for chloramine like I said? You need to do both those things anyways. 

I checked online for my cities water earlier today and it was not posted. And yes I know I would have to get a tds meter no matter what. 

11 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I checked online for my cities water earlier today and it was not posted. And yes I know I would have to get a tds meter no matter what. 

So get a TDS meter now and test your water and buy a RODI after. 

• Like 1