Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
21 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I've never seen them split like a bubble tip anemone would, but maybe others will chime in, that have. In my experience they grow new heads out of the skeleton. 

Huh weird. Idk why it’s doing this then. Anyone else know what’s up?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
23 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Hi bud, how's that hammer and the tank looking today

Everything looks really good. I’ve ordered the membrane and filters for the rodi unit. They are on there way. I also found someone who lives 20 minutes away from me who wanted to sell me some corals, so I took the opportunity and picked up some cheap corals. I’m gonna stick to the cheaper corals like y’all said. I only paid 50 dollars for these corals. I got a rather large green plate coral, a nice little green tipped Aussie torch. Just one head. I also got a small trachy as well. Everything looks great. The hammers head does seem to be splitting now. I’ll have to take a few pictures of the tank. 

Thank you for asking

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here’s some pictures

D4C201CF-03D0-4732-9C86-AF4FA8CCEA2C.jpeg

94DED883-9930-4A93-B2F9-370E231CA4D7.jpeg

19E3550A-9AB7-49A9-8509-F104B4343EAA.jpeg

5C38F516-3EFC-4FA9-957E-4D3AA5427A75.jpeg

6CECD64D-FE5C-4493-834C-160BBDA29577.jpeg

805BBF00-3071-42C7-997D-0720211B8428.jpeg

CE2E11B4-B3A7-4704-BC4C-BD47A2871E3E.jpeg

7661E7AD-FD2D-40DC-BE32-F9F1D39ED56E.jpeg

626CDD9E-2191-4B57-8752-1D0D33823249.jpeg

0E8C053C-51AE-4889-B500-74C8E5C33CBD.jpeg

BF4BFCA5-9631-45B4-BF86-CF2C4900315D.jpeg

I love those bubbles on the bounce. You can see the swirl of orange and green and it’s mesmerizing 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here’s some side views and full tank picture. The box in the back right corner has my long tentacle nem in it. He flew into the power head and it sliced his foot completely open last week. Somehow he’s healing his foot and is coming back. This nem is literally invincible.

60D422E2-1F91-4F23-86A9-90B66F61FFC6.jpeg

90A23CF2-7E13-45D9-8F80-31ACF9DCD60E.jpeg

FC6523A3-6352-4270-B08D-3C2E367DCA7D.jpeg

4B17F76C-9D76-469C-9E37-EEE093BC2F48.jpeg

EFCC7485-BE3F-4EDB-B04D-5F626510E08C.jpeg

45E747BB-8F4C-4977-83D8-973E8382866F.jpeg

Green hair is also starting to come back a bit, but it’s fine for now. The emeralds are keeping it at bay.

• Like 4

Tank is looking nice, glad to hear that you are sorting out your RODI situation.

That plate is gorgeous, looks nice under the blues but IMO the daylight/white top down shot of it from the side looks gorgeous with the greens and purples. Nice grab.

Roughly how big is that Acan? Also how big are the heads usually across?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Tank is looking nice, glad to hear that you are sorting out your RODI situation.

That plate is gorgeous, looks nice under the blues but IMO the daylight/white top down shot of it from the side looks gorgeous with the greens and purples. Nice grab.

Roughly how big is that Acan? Also how big are the heads usually across?

Yea, I feel like I got the plate and the other corals for a nice deal. I only had to pay $15 for the plate. After getting this plate, I’m kinda falling in love with plate corals. I think when I next get more corals, I may grab another one. 

The rainbowish colored acan has grown like crazy. If I turn the frag around to the other side, it has so many baby heads on that side. The biggest heads are about an inch maybe more when fully expanded. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, I feel like I got the plate and the other corals for a nice deal. I only had to pay $15 for the plate. After getting this plate, I’m kinda falling in love with plate corals. I think when I next get more corals, I may grab another one

That is a good deal on the plate. I understand that, I miss mine, was great to watch feed. Slipper and tongue corals are very similar but can get some really weird shapes. 

3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The rainbowish colored acan has grown like crazy. If I turn the frag around to the other side, it has so many baby heads on that side. The biggest heads are about an inch maybe more when fully expanded

Hmmm that sounds like too big, well probably go for Blastos then. 

Cheers

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

That is a good deal on the plate. I understand that, I miss mine, was great to watch feed. Slipper and tongue corals are very similar but can get some really weird shapes. 

Hmmm that sounds like too big, well probably go for Blastos then. 

Cheers

Yea I like the plates better than the slipper and tongue corals. I think for my next plate, I’m gonna try and find a heliofungia plate. The long tentacled plate. I would love to have one of those, but they seem a bit harder to find. 

I’ve been considering getting some blastos as well. Some blastos have some amazing colors. Why are acans too big? What tank are you looking to put the acans or blastos in?

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I think I’m gonna start doing what other people do with their tank journals each time they get a new coral. I’ll change the title at the top each time I add a new addition. 

Also, my Duncan has taken off in growth recently and I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the reef roids, but he has gone from 2 heads to 7 heads in the time I’ve had him. The other 5 heads are a bit small, but you can clearly see the mouths and everything. I’ll have to get a picture later. Same with my birdsnest. I’ll have to get some comparison pictures, bc the big frag of birdsnest is growing a crap ton of new branches all over the coral. It’s definitely my fastes growing sps.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea I like the plates better than the slipper and tongue corals. I think for my next plate, I’m gonna try and find a heliofungia plate. The long tentacled plate. I would love to have one of those, but they seem a bit harder to find. 

I’ve been considering getting some blastos as well. Some blastos have some amazing colors. Why are acans too big? What tank are you looking to put the acans or blastos in?

My 5g, only reef I'm running/will run until I can get my larger tank. I want both these tanks replaced with a single 48x15x12 

IMG_20200501_190536.thumb.jpg.b35b14fb5317385e5e0ca97ce62ba858.jpg

I don't think that a fox coral is going to work as my Elegance has a nasty sting! So, thinking drop the sandbed a bit more and have some acans under the shelf, alternatively use that front left rock for my two wall Hammers and cover the floating rocks in acans/blasto or Platygyra. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

My 5g, only reef I'm running/will run until I can get my larger tank. I want both these tanks replaced with a single 48x15x12 

IMG_20200501_190536.thumb.jpg.b35b14fb5317385e5e0ca97ce62ba858.jpg

I don't think that a fox coral is going to work as my Elegance has a nasty sting! So, thinking drop the sandbed a bit more and have some acans under the shelf, alternatively use that front left rock for my two wall Hammers and cover the floating rocks in acans/blasto or Platygyra. 

Yea that would look really nice. I’m a big fan of that aquascape. I love how the rocks look like they are floating. Do you only have euphyllia in there for now?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea that would look really nice. I’m a big fan of that aquascape. I love how the rocks look like they are floating. Do you only have euphyllia in there for now?

With the exception of one legendarily hard working Hermit yes

• Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
5 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

With the exception of one legendarily hard working Hermit yes

It’s only a 5 gallon, so I’m guessing you aren’t planning on adding any fish? Or is there a fish you can put in a 5 gallon? Do you have a journal for this tank? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

It’s only a 5 gallon, so I’m guessing you aren’t planning on adding any fish? Or is there a fish you can put in a 5 gallon? Do you have a journal for this tank? 

Oh yeah I want a fish, trying to sneak it in however will be interesting

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok quick question everyone, so a while ago I took my protein skimmer off my tank bc I thought it broke, bc for some reason it was just sucking up straight water. And it would suck up water in like 10 minutes. Is it broke? Or do I just need to adjust the nob at the top to fix it? Bc I put it on my tank just now to see if adjusting the nob would fix it and it seemed to work a bit, but it’s still sucking up stuff and filling it’s cup kinda fast? Is that bc I haven’t had a protein skimmer on my tank for a month? Or is it broke?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also, the green hair algae that has been in my tank has randomly decided to change colors since adding the protein skimmer back on. Idk why this happened, but it went from a light green to a dark brown. Anyone know why this is happening? I have the stuff I used to get rid of bryopsis that I can use on this, but should I? It hasn’t become a big nuisance really, it just looks weird. 

On 5/2/2020 at 9:26 PM, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Also, the green hair algae that has been in my tank has randomly decided to change colors since adding the protein skimmer back on. Idk why this happened, but it went from a light green to a dark brown. Anyone know why this is happening? I have the stuff I used to get rid of bryopsis that I can use on this, but should I? It hasn’t become a big nuisance really, it just looks weird. 

Cant help on the Skimmer issue, never had one, seen one or played with one. 

Sounds like the GHA is dying off IMO. Mine went light, dark, brown and stringy. Was really easy to siphon out at this stage

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
7 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Cant help on the Skimmer issue, never had one, seen one or played with one. 

Sounds like the GHA is dying off IMO. Mine went light, dark, brown and stringy. Was really easy to siphon out at this stage

Yea it’s getting really easy to pull straight off the rock, but it does seem to be raising my nutrients a bit more in the tank as it’s dying off. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea it’s getting really easy to pull straight off the rock, but it does seem to be raising my nutrients a bit more in the tank as it’s dying off. 

As algae grows, they absorb your nutrients.  On the opposite side, when it dies or is dying, 1) you lose that extra nutrient absorber, and 2) it is also releasing its own store nutrients back into your water, that's why your nutrients are going up.  Best to do water change to bring it down.  

• Like 4