Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

More likely is all the extra nem juice will cause a spike in nutrients 

That’s true, my corals have been going crazy since it’s happened. All my corals have there polyps extended really far and seem to be enjoying life😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Got a few pics of the tank with the blues on. I was able to get the colors spot on with my camera and the pictures look exactly like what you would see if you were looking at the tank. Also my zoa rock is finally coming back after the bryopsis and aptasia invasion. There’s still a few aptasia, but I’ll get them. My watchman wanted to photobomb my setosa😂. Why is it that I seem to already see growth from my setosa? It looks bigger than it was 2 days ago

E67A2757-B885-4C56-B73B-3A5314C47128.jpeg

A82571E1-466C-4F6C-9E8B-4C4FC45F32D6.jpeg

6F1D5CBF-376E-45A6-8A35-73CDA52F51D1.jpeg

7B6DE1E0-C209-4FC1-A3E3-B0EB831C513A.jpeg

CE3AED6C-0AB5-40D5-96F4-62E854C62878.jpeg

0C3EEA66-EE16-413D-BAEF-1E9B35DA91D3.jpeg

C69B5672-78DD-456D-9DC1-ABD97AEFB2E7.jpeg

A02825BD-D918-43FA-B94F-FDFEEADBDB10.jpeg

1302016F-965F-475B-86C0-D8067BD1790C.jpeg

457452BD-353B-4956-B378-8155918BA46D.jpeg

96080D0D-235E-47D7-BC81-795501B05D7E.jpeg

CC7A5307-8ED9-4F98-AC4E-0A3A5DB6BCE3.jpeg

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
11 hours ago, Tamberav said:

You are worse at cleaning your glass than I am.

Tamberav, the glass actually is clean, I just cleaned it before taking pictures, that’s from my water being cloudy and milky😂

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I need some help real quick. I’ve been doing water changes pretty often, and putting a lot of effort into my tank, but for some reason my Montipora spongodes has some rtn? It’s started in the middle of the spongodes and it’s spreading outward? All my other sps are doing great. My monti cap and both my birdsnests look great and always have their polyps extended. No tissue necrosis on any of them. I’m just confused? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Could something in my tank be causing it? Like one of my emerald crabs? I had to get rid of a few due to them trying to munch on my leather. Last night on my spongodes, had a patch of rtn in the middle about the size of my fingernail, then I checked this morning and it’s spread to about the size of a quarter? Can it spread that fast?

EfrainChicagoDeepdish

Check well for nudibranches.  I lost one montipora that way where it started in middle and I didn't notice the infection fast enough.  Maybe look into the super glue trick (I didn't do this).  They didn't affect the other monti as I caught it fast enough but I dipped everything often and got a wrasse to help.  

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
Just now, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Check well for nudibranches.  I lost one montipora that way where it started in middle and I didn't notice the infection fast enough.  Maybe look into the super glue trick (I didn't do this).  They didn't affect the other monti as I caught it fast enough but I dipped everything often and got a wrasse to help.  

Yea, it could possibly be that. I got a order about 2 weeks ago or 2 birdsnest and a monti cap, so maybe the nudi could’ve came with that. I checked the corals tho before adding them to the tank and I didn’t see anything. I didnt dip them tho, so maybe I could’ve gotten something 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, it could possibly be that. I got a order about 2 weeks ago or 2 birdsnest and a monti cap, so maybe the nudi could’ve came with that. I checked the corals tho before adding them to the tank and I didn’t see anything. I didnt dip them tho, so maybe I could’ve gotten something 

You wont see the eggs if it is Nudi's and dips dont affect the eggs, you'll need a regimen of dipping and resting until you're convinced you've killed off any new hatchings. 

EfrainChicagoDeepdish
3 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Dip and dip.  Although my research said that eggs could still come through which is why I had to get a wrasse.  Old school common knowledge says to break sps off their plug and dip.  Harder to do with encruster type montis.  I QTed the piece and dipped every three days (rotating dips) and watched like a hawk.  After a month and not seeing the monsters I stopped dipping.  But check all your pieces and get some dip would ya?  

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Dip and dip.  Although my research said that eggs could still come through which is why I had to get a wrasse.  Old school common knowledge says to break sps off their plug and dip.  Harder to do with encruster type montis.  I QTed the piece and dipped every three days (rotating dips) and watched like a hawk.  After a month and not seeing the monsters I stopped dipping.  But check all your pieces and get some dip would ya?  

Yea I’ll have to. Hopefully it won’t spread to my monti cap. I paid a good bit for the size of monti cap I got

... STN starting in the center sounds like predation, look for the fluffy nudi's at night, they'll have a similar color to your monti. 
Could just be some tissue damage caused die-back though.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 hours ago, Amphrites said:

... STN starting in the center sounds like predation, look for the fluffy nudi's at night, they'll have a similar color to your monti. 
Could just be some tissue damage caused die-back though.

It did loose some tissue a while back from when my water quality dropped. But after I raised my params back to what they were supposed to be it stopped dying. I checked last night and I didn’t see any nudis, I saw something that was the same color as the monti, but I’m pretty sure it was just dying tissue off the monti. I’ll have to look again tonight. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The only thing I don’t understand is that my monti cap is perfectly fine. I’ve actually seen growth from it as well. Plus all my other sps are doing great as well. I don’t understand how my monti could loose almost all of its tissue over a 6 hour period. It barely has anything left. I don’t think that there’s anything wrong with my water, bc literally all other corals are doing great. I’ve also noticed growth from my birdsnest as well.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, EfrainChicagoDeepdish said:

Use a turkey baster and suck up that "dying tissue" and put into a glass.  Then watch that tissue for movement.  

I’m at school now, so I’ll have to do that when I get home if there’s anything left. I really hope that my monti isn’t gonna die, I really liked the bright green color

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I need some serious help. I don’t understand what’s happening to my tank. My water just keeps getting more and more cloudy. All my corals look fine and fish are fine. My corals all have great polyp extension. The only thing in my tank that has been upset and I’m wondering if he could be causing the cloudy water is my Lta. He’s been really scrunched up and looks kinda ugly lately. Idk if he could still be spawning. I know he didn’t get sucked up into my wavemaker, bc he’s not missing tentacles and is still in the same spot. But my water is so cloudy that it’s getting hard to see through. I’ve even been doing water changes to get rid of the cloudy water, but it doesn’t seem to help?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I’ve actually noticed growth in the past few weeks from my monti setosa and my smaller birdsnest frag. So at least my corals are happy

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, SliceGolfer said:

Smell your water. Does it smell differently than normal? Yes, I smell the water in my tanks. The nose knows.

No I haven’t smelled it recently. I’ll do that when I get home

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I smelled my tank, it didn’t smell any different. The water is still cloudy. My long tentacle was still scrunched up and ugly. I can’t even see my Haitian bc the water is so cloudy. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok, so my tank water is still just as cloudy and ugly. But I’ve noticed that the water has a green tint to it. Could that mean a bacterial bloom? My nems are still angry and grumpy as well. All my corals look great tho. They all have their polyps extended and I’ve seen small growth from my Duncan and birdsnest. What should I do to get rid of this? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
26 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Every green water thread I have read so far recommends.

Improve Surface Agitation

Reduce Temperature

Add UV

I'd definitely try the first two, sceptical about the 3rd

I’ve heard that UV lights do work. How low should I lower my temp? I just don’t know where the green water came from. My tank has been established for more than 2 years