Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
9 hours ago, Tamberav said:

So get a TDS meter now and test your water and buy a RODI after. 

Ok, I’ll do that

6 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

^Please just listen to her, Ethan. For the sake of all your animals in your current tank. :sad:

It’s not like I’m trying to hurt my tank😂

ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Ok, I’ll do that

It’s not like I’m trying to hurt my tank😂

Ethan, I get youre a teenager and don’t get the big picture in life, but I know you don’t live under rock. You know this coronavirus that has basically halted life in the US in its tracks? It can and probably will disrupt the supply chain to stores like Walmart or wherever you buy water. We are trying to tell you, though you listen as well as my 7 year old, to get your own RODI filter to allow you to make your own water so that a disruption of this type doesn’t affect the animals under your care. But seriously dude you act like nothing affects you at all. If you’re going to responsibly care for a saltwater reef and the expensive and more a more rare creatures, you need to start figuring out how to plan ahead for any disasters or problems. 

You may think you’re not trying to hurt your animals but you also rather willfully don’t listen to advice and tend to argue back when more experienced people lend you advice. What they’re trying to do is help you avoid a crisis in which you DO hurt the animals by not being prepared.

• Thanks 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Ethan, I get youre a teenager and don’t get the big picture in life, but I know you don’t live under rock. You know this coronavirus that has basically halted life in the US in its tracks? It can and probably will disrupt the supply chain to stores like Walmart or wherever you buy water. We are trying to tell you, though you listen as well as my 7 year old, to get your own RODI filter to allow you to make your own water so that a disruption of this type doesn’t affect the animals under your care. But seriously dude you act like nothing affects you at all. If you’re going to responsibly care for a saltwater reef and the expensive and more a more rare creatures, you need to start figuring out how to plan ahead for any disasters or problems. 

You may think you’re not trying to hurt your animals but you also rather willfully don’t listen to advice and tend to argue back when more experienced people lend you advice. What they’re trying to do is help you avoid a crisis in which you DO hurt the animals by not being prepared.

Well I went and bought the tds meter. It should be here Saturday, and after that gets here and you guys tell me what I should get, then I’ll buy the rodi unit. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

So really you all were telling me to get the tds meter, bc without it, I wouldn’t be able to tell what type of ro/di unit I need. Well the tds meter will hopefully be here Saturday. Hopefully I don’t have chloramines in my water, so I could just get a 4 stage which would be cheaper. I have about 80 bucks to spend on a ro/di unit. Or if I wait till after this Sunday, which Sunday I’m getting paid 30 dollars for helping my grandpa. My budget will be 110

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 4/1/2020 at 6:33 PM, SliceGolfer said:

Thank you for the video by the way. That helped a lot. I didn’t know that was on YouTube 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Is it possible for my wavemaker to lose power over time? Bc it seemed a lot more powerful last week? I checked it and cleaned it to see if there was anything clogged in it, there was not. But it just seems to be running slower.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

After I get a rodi unit, I’m looking to upgrade my wavemaker from a current USA eFlux to a jebao crossflow. I know jebao isn’t the best, but I really like the cross flows and the price is a lot better than the maxispect gyres

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Alright, so I got the tds meter and measured my water. It told me the reading was 082 ppm. So is that correct? What kinda rodi unit do y’all think I need? I’d still like to spend less than 100 if possible 

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

That doesn't sound incorrect, but TDS can vary depending on where your city/town/county get their water from. It can change weekly, or monthly, if their water source changes (and we as citizens never really think about where it comes from. We just turn on the faucet and have water). 

If I were you, and on a limited budget, I'd probably get the 4 stage BRS RODI unit. I think it's around $150. The $50 difference is 2 less corals, to have a secured supply of good water for your aquarium. It'll also save you the headache of buying a cheaper one, that then breaks in a few months, only to be replaced with a decent unit later. To me, it's a no brainer, spend a little more money and get something that'll work for you now, and for the future. 

• Like 1
SliceGolfer

A TDS meter does not tell you what type of RODI you need to purchase. It tells you if your water is pure or if any total dissolved solids remain. If elements are bypassing the RODI unit, this means the cartridges or membrane are expired, or the cartridges aren’t adequate and are not filtering out all the elements.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

That doesn't sound incorrect, but TDS can vary depending on where your city/town/county get their water from. It can change weekly, or monthly, if their water source changes (and we as citizens never really think about where it comes from. We just turn on the faucet and have water). 

If I were you, and on a limited budget, I'd probably get the 4 stage BRS RODI unit. I think it's around $150. The $50 difference is 2 less corals, to have a secured supply of good water for your aquarium. It'll also save you the headache of buying a cheaper one, that then breaks in a few months, only to be replaced with a decent unit later. To me, it's a no brainer, spend a little more money and get something that'll work for you now, and for the future. 

I just don’t have 150 right now. I really only need a rodi unit that will last me until this fall.

NoOneLikesADryTang
20 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I just don’t have 150 right now. I really only need a rodi unit that will last me until this fall.

What happens in the fall, when you will no longer need an rodi? 

22 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The only one under $100 would be the RO + DI  Buddy from Aquatic Life, which I do not recommend. I had one which went up to 20 TDS after making 10 gallons. If you do not have a lot to spend, then you will not like spending $40-50 just to replace the RO membrane. The filters deplete quickly even if your water initially has low TDS and they cost so much to replace. 

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
39 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

But you were able to afford a huge load of new corals plus shipping from an online dealer not what- two or three weeks ago? This is why people get so frustrated with you Ethan. Your purchases should have been for good equipment FIRST and livestock SECOND after the tank was more mature and put together with said good equipment. Instead you keep spending on pretty ANIMALS (they’re all alive remember) that you stumble repeatedly to care for. 

And I know, because even though I was a fairly antisocial college student, you’re most likely not going to have the time to truly devote to a tank in your dorm, as a freshman. Maybe even the whole time. Because you’ll be out doing college stuff. Even as an antisocial student I wouldn’t have had time to devote to a SW fish tank when I was in college. 

• Like 4

You will still want to find out if you have chloramines. 

This unit looks like standard connections: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/aquafx-economy-4-stage-100g-rodi-system.html

however I have no idea if it comes with a hose or sink adapter etc...

Hard to argue against a spectrapure. Does have a 3 year warranty too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-MaxPureMPDI-90-GPD-RODI-System-MPDI-90-Free-Shipping/193377973563?hash=item2d0639b53b:g:0scAAOSwPA1eaJp7

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
58 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

You will still want to find out if you have chloramines. 

This unit looks like standard connections: https://premiumaquatics.com/products/aquafx-economy-4-stage-100g-rodi-system.html

however I have no idea if it comes with a hose or sink adapter etc...

Hard to argue against a spectrapure. Does have a 3 year warranty too. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-MaxPureMPDI-90-GPD-RODI-System-MPDI-90-Free-Shipping/193377973563?hash=item2d0639b53b:g:0scAAOSwPA1eaJp7

I was gonna get one used, bc it’s much cheaper. I would just need to replace the filters.

How do I find out if I have chloramines?

I checked online and I can’t find anything?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Call your local sewage and water board.

Call a LFS.

Get a test kit. 

C'mon man...

My LFS is closed bc of the quarantine, I could try to call the sewage company. I’ll try to find that out