Innovative Marine Aquariums

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

21 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I was gonna get one used, bc it’s much cheaper. I would just need to replace the filters.

How do I find out if I have chloramines?

I checked online and I can’t find anything?

The main membrane is about 50-70 bucks... to replace so it depends how many gallons that person used it for and whether it was cared for properly. If they did not change the prefilters on a regular bases then they can ruin the membrane which in turn will cause you to burn through DI (also expensive). The other filters are cheap to replace though. 

Basically I would go new unless this is a trustworthy person you know or if you are buying a certified refurbished from a company. I would ask them how many gallons they made... how often they changed filters...etc...

If they have a very large tank, it may not be worth it. A nano would arguably be used less/making less water so that is a more attractive deal. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

On 4/10/2020 at 5:21 PM, Tamberav said:

The main membrane is about 50-70 bucks... to replace so it depends how many gallons that person used it for and whether it was cared for properly. If they did not change the prefilters on a regular bases then they can ruin the membrane which in turn will cause you to burn through DI (also expensive). The other filters are cheap to replace though. 

Basically I would go new unless this is a trustworthy person you know or if you are buying a certified refurbished from a company. I would ask them how many gallons they made... how often they changed filters...etc...

If they have a very large tank, it may not be worth it. A nano would arguably be used less/making less water so that is a more attractive deal. 

Well now I’m looking at a used 4 stage aqua/fx barracuda rodi unit. The unit is practically brand new, I asked the guy and he said he just used it on his nano. I would just have to buy new membranes

1 hour ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Well now I’m looking at a used 4 stage aqua/fx barracuda rodi unit. The unit is practically brand new, I asked the guy and he said he just used it on his nano. I would just have to buy new membranes

Depending what he is asking, you may not save money if it needs new everything, you will want to price out all the filters. Personally I am not buying anything used atm cuz of covid. 

SliceGolfer
5 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Clarksburg

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak here is the link to your city water quality report. As best as I see, your water does not contain chloramine. This would mean a 4 stage or 5 stage RODI would be sufficient. If it was me, I would still use a carbon block in the first stage suited for chloramine as a precaution. Click this --> http://www.clarksburgwater.com/ccr.htm 

I know you want to save $$$ but seriously, spend the money on a new BRS kit. Their RODI units are solid and easily upgraded if you ever need to. OR, skip the RODI and continue to purchase RO water at the grocery store or LFS.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
14 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

@EthanPhillyCheesesteak here is the link to your city water quality report. As best as I see, your water does not contain chloramine. This would mean a 4 stage or 5 stage RODI would be sufficient. If it was me, I would still use a carbon block in the first stage suited for chloramine as a precaution. Click this --> http://www.clarksburgwater.com/ccr.htm 

I know you want to save $$$ but seriously, spend the money on a new BRS kit. Their RODI units are solid and easily upgraded if you ever need to. OR, skip the RODI and continue to purchase RO water at the grocery store or LFS.

Thanks to WV Reefer, I found out that my water supply does not use chloramines. The link that you showed me probably told me the same. Thank you. So I did go ahead and buy the 4 stage aqua/fx barracuda rodi unit. It comes with everything I need except the membrane replacements. I got the unit for 70, which seems like a good deal. It looks practically brand new and the guy says it runs great. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Depending what he is asking, you may not save money if it needs new everything, you will want to price out all the filters. Personally I am not buying anything used atm cuz of covid. 

Yea I know, but I just don’t have the money for an expensive rodi unit right now, I shouldn’t of bought those corals a while back. I buy before thinking sometimes. 

So does it come with the membrane or not? Or just missing the filters? A membrane is a specific filter that if well cared for last years... the filters I change every 6 months. 

Do you know how it will hook up to your sink? Does it come with adapters?  Do you know the GPH of the unit?

BRS is a good place to get replacement filters and membrane if it is needed. They probably have adapters too. Check and compare with Marine Depot as they have a lot of the same stuff. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

So does it come with the membrane or not? Or just missing the filters? A membrane is a specific filter that if well cared for last years... the filters I change every 6 months. 

Do you know how it will hook up to your sink? Does it come with adapters?  Do you know the GPH of the unit?

BRS is a good place to get replacement filters and membrane if it is needed. They probably have adapters too. Check and compare with Marine Depot as they have a lot of the same stuff. 

It does not come with membranes or filter replacements. How much do you think it will cost me to get those? It does come with a hose adapter tho, not a sink adapter, but a hose adapter. That could probably still work tho.

mitten_reef
33 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

So is this all I’d need? Or is there more?

503BE60F-8C50-43C1-9943-E04C4C62B097.png

F399CBBB-0C16-466B-811B-A76DFE230324.png

before you ask this over-simplistic question, you should have:

1. download manufacturer's installation instruction - cuz no one is gonna help you with that via 119 forum questions
  2. download the user's manual for the make/model you purchased, which would help you understand how to use the equipment properly.  AND it should list any components that missing from your purchase - and that you need, ALONG WITH specific sizes of them.  

c'mon man, think a few steps ahead for once.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

before you ask this over-simplistic question, you should have:

1. download manufacturer's installation instruction - cuz no one is gonna help you with that via 119 forum questions
  2. download the user's manual for the make/model you purchased, which would help you understand how to use the equipment properly.  AND it should list any components that missing from your purchase - and that you need, ALONG WITH specific sizes of them.  

c'mon man, think a few steps ahead for once.  

The model comes with a owners manual and installation manual. I can just wait until it’s delivered 

• Like 1
SliceGolfer

Going to be honest, you're gonna spend more than $149 once you're all said and done. You're paying $102 ($72 + $29.95 shipping) for your used RODI. You've got another $30ish in cartridges, $35 in a membrane (assuming you find one that fits), adapters, wrench, and float valve (assuming you don't want to flood your home), and shipping. Or you could have purchased this new all in one bundle solution with free shipping. I keep telling myself this will be my last post in this thread.... I'm out.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/search?Query=aquafx

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
NaturallyKait

So you didn’t price out how much all of the replacement filters were going to cost before buying to make sure it was actually a deal and not just going to end up costing the same or more than a brand new unit with warranty?

• Like 2

I paid 190$ CAD (guessing around 140US??) for a 4 stage Spectrapure new RO/DI unit. It's a 90GPD. Came with all the membrane and filters. Sorry but what you got was not the best option IMO. It will and up costing you more.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
20 hours ago, SliceGolfer said:

Going to be honest, you're gonna spend more than $149 once you're all said and done. You're paying $102 ($72 + $29.95 shipping) for your used RODI. You've got another $30ish in cartridges, $35 in a membrane (assuming you find one that fits), adapters, wrench, and float valve (assuming you don't want to flood your home), and shipping. Or you could have purchased this new all in one bundle solution with free shipping. I keep telling myself this will be my last post in this thread.... I'm out.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-stage-value-ro-di-system-bulk-reef-supply.html

https://www.marinedepot.com/search?Query=aquafx

No I’m only paying 89 for the used rodi unit. I didn’t get the fast shipping. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
20 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

So you didn’t price out how much all of the replacement filters were going to cost before buying to make sure it was actually a deal and not just going to end up costing the same or more than a brand new unit with warranty?

You know what, it’s fine. I’ll just pay for everything I need and I don’t care how much it costs me. I have a good bit saved up, I was just trying to save as much money as possible, ig I didn’t think it through tho

I came back to hopefully see change and progress. 

I have found none and actually the opposite. 

I have NO idea why any of you waste your time in this thread. 

I unfollowed months ago and suggest many of you do the same. 

Some people will just never get it. Every person commenting on this thread is basically talking to a wall. 

Cheers 🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

I came back to hopefully see change and progress. 

I have found none and actually the opposite. 

I have NO idea why any of you waste your time in this thread. 

I unfollowed months ago and suggest many of you do the same. 

Some people will just never get it. Every person commenting on this thread is basically talking to a wall. 

Cheers 🍺

Thanks, I’m sorry 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I think I’m just gonna take down my tank, I can’t do anything right with it anyway, so it’s best to probably take it down. 

Don't take your tank down.... just focus on caring for the animals you have and try not to impulse buy. We have to work within our means... whether that is money or time. 

A person busy may be better off with softies and easy LPS as they don't require as many water changes or testing. They are also cheaper to take care of as you don't need to invest as much in dosing or salt and so on. 

I have bryopsis and aiptasia and some ot her invasive kind I cant remember... you can't really tell and they are not a problem because I manually prune/remove them, they never become a problem.

Adding a bunch of emerald crabs is just a bad idea... you have vulnerable LPS and not all emeralds behave themselves. So when you add a bunch... you increase your chances of problems. They also cost a fair amount.

If you see aiptasia but ignore it... it then spreads and now you have so many to catch up with and so on... 

Need to keep things practical for your situation. When I was in college I kept a lot of softies and macro because I didn't have a lot of money or time. Now that I have more money I have some nicer things but I have even less time so I no longer keep things I love like mandarin fish as I am not home to feed them and a auto feeder for a mandarin is unreliable. Even though I really want one... I know it's just not a right fit in my life right now. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I think I’m just gonna take down my tank, I can’t do anything right with it anyway, so it’s best to probably take it down. 

Don't. 

You do well, come on leaps and bounds. But then you kind of lose your self control and splash a load of cash. Keep being patient, we've seen you can do it. 

I'm limited with the amount of distilled and/or RODI that I can correctly get. So I'm. Diluting with treated tap. I've lost my SPS but that's a gamble that I knew I would most likely lose. The LPS seem to love it, I'm sure that my softies would have too. 

Do you have a TDS meter? 

• Like 1