SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Don't take your tank down.... just focus on caring for the animals you have and try not to impulse buy. We have to work within our means... whether that is money or time. 

A person busy may be better off with softies and easy LPS as they don't require as many water changes or testing. They are also cheaper to take care of as you don't need to invest as much in dosing or salt and so on. 

I have bryopsis and aiptasia and some ot her invasive kind I cant remember... you can't really tell and they are not a problem because I manually prune/remove them, they never become a problem.

Adding a bunch of emerald crabs is just a bad idea... you have vulnerable LPS and not all emeralds behave themselves. So when you add a bunch... you increase your chances of problems. They also cost a fair amount.

If you see aiptasia but ignore it... it then spreads and now you have so many to catch up with and so on... 

Need to keep things practical for your situation. When I was in college I kept a lot of softies and macro because I didn't have a lot of money or time. Now that I have more money I have some nicer things but I have even less time so I no longer keep things I love like mandarin fish as I am not home to feed them and a auto feeder for a mandarin is unreliable. Even though I really want one... I know it's just not a right fit in my life right now. 

Yea thank you. I won’t take down my tank then. But I’m not getting anymore sps. I’m sticking to my softies and lps. I’m sorry if I ignore all of your guys comments sometimes, I know your just trying to help. 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
19 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Don't. 

You do well, come on leaps and bounds. But then you kind of lose your self control and splash a load of cash. Keep being patient, we've seen you can do it. 

I'm limited with the amount of distilled and/or RODI that I can correctly get. So I'm. Diluting with treated tap. I've lost my SPS but that's a gamble that I knew I would most likely lose. The LPS seem to love it, I'm sure that my softies would have too. 

Do you have a TDS meter? 

Yes I do have a tds meter. I bought one before the rodi unit. My tds was low. My water doesn’t have any chloramines also. I just need clarification on what you mean on that I spend a load of cash. Should I not buy anymore corals at all? Or just like 1 here and there?

• Like 1
NoOneLikesADryTang

Everyone here wants to see you succeed, Ethan. I’m glad you’ve decided to stick it out, but you should do it because you want to do it. Not because of anyone here. 

With that being said, I think you should stick to softies/easier to care for corals. I think that’s a really smart decision you’ve made. I also hoped you’ve learned that it’s better to have quality equipment to care for the creatures in your tank, than it is to have some really cool coral that you can’t sustain. (One day in the future though, with some experience and having more time and money I’m sure you will have success with the tougher corals.) 

Keep your chin up, Ethan. Slow and steady wins this race. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yes I do have a tds meter. I bought one before the rodi unit. My tds was low. My water doesn’t have any chloramines also. I just need clarification on what you mean on that I spend a load of cash. Should I not buy anymore corals at all? Or just like 1 here and there?

Buy corals sure, just go slow. Really research what it is you're going to keep and shop around for those and only those corals. Try and not fall into a shopping trap. 

• Like 3
NoOneLikesADryTang
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Buy corals sure, just go slow. Really research what it is you're going to keep and shop around for those and only those corals. Try and not fall into a shopping trap. 

Agreed, Ratvan. 

You aren’t the only one guilty of buying corals too soon, or getting corals your tank wasn’t ready for. We’re all guilty of being excited at some point and making a rash decision on something we shouldn’t have. It happens. That’s life. You learn from it, and make better decisions in the future. You’ve got this Ethan. Just keep it slow and steady. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Agreed, Ratvan. 

You aren’t the only one guilty of buying corals too soon, or getting corals your tank wasn’t ready for. We’re all guilty of being excited at some point and making a rash decision on something we shouldn’t have. It happens. That’s life. You learn from it, and make better decisions in the future. You’ve got this Ethan. Just keep it slow and steady. 

I've learned that while I can keep some SPS it's best not too. Usually my tank is on a knifes edge between doing well and failing so it's best I don't try. Keeping with my LPS favourites as they like dirtier water. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
32 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Everyone here wants to see you succeed, Ethan. I’m glad you’ve decided to stick it out, but you should do it because you want to do it. Not because of anyone here. 

With that being said, I think you should stick to softies/easier to care for corals. I think that’s a really smart decision you’ve made. I also hoped you’ve learned that it’s better to have quality equipment to care for the creatures in your tank, than it is to have some really cool coral that you can’t sustain. (One day in the future though, with some experience and having more time and money I’m sure you will have success with the tougher corals.) 

Keep your chin up, Ethan. Slow and steady wins this race. 

Thank you, that means a lot. I’m gonna stick with just softies and a few lps like acans, some euphyllia and trachys/scolys. I think tho I’m just gonna stick to mostly mushrooms for now. I like mushrooms and they are very easy to take care of as well. I’ll keep the sps I have, and I’ll try my best to keep them alive and well.

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
17 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Ok, I will only buy what I know I can take care and I will do research before buying. There isn’t much research with mushrooms tho, so I don’t think there’s much more I gotta do with them😂🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

But first before buying any corals, I’m gonna get equipment and everything else I need to fully maintain my tank. 

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

The rodi unit arrived today. It came with a bunch of hosing and it came with 2 or 3 shut off valves I think as well as a hose adapter. It didn’t come with any membrane or filters tho, so I will have to find those. It came with an instruction manual tho. 

4B1D3908-2517-4AEE-AD1F-1AB1F2FB3BFF.jpeg

8A529A46-4F90-49A7-82E0-CF68B09C849A.jpeg

A8AA94F2-502D-4A89-85F5-F4B4F7FBB183.jpeg

551AF226-79D0-416A-BD00-44A34790754B.jpeg

1083A45E-3CEE-46D5-84A8-FC1072496974.jpeg

B389CBCF-A1C5-4CF0-B67C-6C931BC6E54D.jpeg

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I just fed my tank with reef roids and my corals went nuts for this stuff. My mushrooms loved it. My bounce curled up his edges over his mouth to keep the food in his mouth while he ate it. 

• Like 2

Go light on the roids...do not feed it daily...maybe once or twice a week..it is potent stuff.

Try not to get sucked into the naming and expensive corals and buy what you like and what you can afford while still being able to have spare money on hand if something were to break and so on.

The expensive mushrooms tend to grow and reproduce really slow...keeps them expensive. This also means they are not great for making money on anytime soon 🙂 I wouldn't focus on that. 

Cheap mushies are pretty too 😉 if they didn't sting my other corals I would have more but they are jerks.

• Like 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Go light on the roids...do not feed it daily...maybe once or twice a week..it is potent stuff.

Try not to get sucked into the naming and expensive corals and buy what you like and what you can afford while still being able to have spare money on hand if something were to break and so on.

The expensive mushrooms tend to grow and reproduce really slow...keeps them expensive. This also means they are not great for making money on anytime soon 🙂 I wouldn't focus on that. 

Cheap mushies are pretty too 😉 if they didn't sting my other corals I would have more but they are jerks.

The guy I bought the godspawn bounce from said that his actually reproduced a new baby about once a month.

I love cheap corals!! Seem to be the only ones I can keep alive anyway lol. Keeps my wallet happier too. No need for dosing or ajusting parameters. I only check specific gravity once a week an nitrates once a month. Yep I'm that lazy. And a weekly 5-10% waterchange.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

The guy I bought the godspawn bounce from said that his actually reproduced a new baby about once a month.

Maybe but there is a big difference between a large mother colony making babies and baby mushies making babies. If everyone's bounce is making babies then they need to stop ripping everyone off 😉 I am not into bounce mushrooms so I guess I can't say how fast they reproduce.

• Like 3
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
22 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Maybe but there is a big difference between a large mother colony making babies and baby mushies making babies. If everyone's bounce is making babies then they need to stop ripping everyone off 😉 I am not into bounce mushrooms so I guess I can't say how fast they reproduce.

Yea, and I shouldn’t depend on getting money from my bounce any time soon, bc mushrooms have never grown fast in my tank for some reason. I heard they are usually a fast growing coral, but mine grow so slow. My zoas and acans both grow so much faster than mushrooms

• Like 2
NoOneLikesADryTang
39 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Yea, and I shouldn’t depend on getting money from my bounce any time soon, bc mushrooms have never grown fast in my tank for some reason. I heard they are usually a fast growing coral, but mine grow so slow. My zoas and acans both grow so much faster than mushrooms

I wouldn't plan on getting any babies any time soon. I've got a sunkist bounce that's got to be at least 5", and it hasn't dropped a single baby. I've had it for close to a year. 

If you get one, that's great and maybe you can sell it to put a little money in your pocket, but I wouldn't count on it. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
13 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

I wouldn't plan on getting any babies any time soon. I've got a sunkist bounce that's got to be at least 5", and it hasn't dropped a single baby. I've had it for close to a year. 

If you get one, that's great and maybe you can sell it to put a little money in your pocket, but I wouldn't count on it. 

5”???? That thing is a monster?? For that size, that thing is probably worth a ton😂. I can’t believe it hasn’t dropped a single baby? My godspawn is about an inch and a half, he could be 2 inches fully open I think. I don’t understand how some people’s tanks are perfect for mushrooms and their mushrooms drop babies like every week. I saw this guy on reef2reef who had his high end mushrooms dropping babies like there’s no tomorrow. 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also quick question, how do hammers grow new heads? Bc one of the small heads on my hammer now has 2 mouths. Is it splitting?

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
15 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Usually a head will grow near the current head first, and then over time once it gets big enough, if it's a branching hammer, it'll start to branch out. 

I’ll try to get a picture. There’s just two mouths right next to each other.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Here’s a picture of it. I took this earlier with my phone and I’m not around my tank at the moment, so this is from my phone. 

0BEB48C1-C8BD-4265-89C5-6E4E7FE33910.jpeg

• Wow 1