SaltCritters.com

29 gallon: R.E.E.F Tank

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Possibly, most don't but the die off never looks too bad 

Ok awesome ratvan thanks. How long does it usually take for something like this monti or birdsnest to get used to the tank and start growing? I’m really gonna try my hardest to keep my params stable, bc I really want a monti cap that grows in shelf’s. 

Well before I killed it the Birdsnest I had noticeable growth after 4 weeks, my monti's about the same 

It will be slow and hardly noticable, the only reason I noticed my growth was taking comparison photo's weeks apart from the same position

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
43 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well before I killed it the Birdsnest I had noticeable growth after 4 weeks, my monti's about the same 

It will be slow and hardly noticable, the only reason I noticed my growth was taking comparison photo's weeks apart from the same position

How’d it die? I’ve read that people birdsnest and monti caps have grown multiple inches in a few months

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

How’d it die? I’ve read that people birdsnest and monti caps have grown multiple inches in a few months

Well it was in the Pico and I left it within stinging distance of the Torch. So I noticed it was stung and I moved it the next day. Moved it infront of the powerhead and stripped the polyps off the skeleton 

• Sad 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
18 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Well it was in the Pico and I left it within stinging distance of the Torch. So I noticed it was stung and I moved it the next day. Moved it infront of the powerhead and stripped the polyps off the skeleton 

Aw, hopefully mine can’t possibly get stung or anything like that. The only thing that’s close to it is another birdsnest and a Duncan. Mine is in direct flow tho, it’s in the same position that my acro was in. But they like hard flow, so I think it will do fine there

• Like 1
15 hours ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

I had to put the glue putty over some of the monti, will the monti grow back over that area?

Yes, it'll grow right over it and it'll look really natural. I really prefer unmounting frags before gluing them down because it looks way more natural after a few months. My monti caps tend to grow really slow until they acclimate, and then take off and grow like crazy. My purple cap I've had for like 6 years and for the first 4 years it grew like an inch a year being moved so many times and being in two different tanks. Now, it's growing probably an inch a month and I have to break chunks off it every water change so it doesn't take over half my tank.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Picked up a few frags yesterday when I was in NC. Got all of these for $10 each. 2 unidentified zoa frags, not sure what they are. A monti setosa, and some kinda mushroom.

27A3002D-1EB7-49F9-B9E5-5625FE9707BA.jpeg

71FE79EC-A4B4-4C1C-8C93-86E3595157B4.jpeg

82D4B9AF-3931-4254-86AC-09336390D07D.jpeg

6E3F054C-4214-4ED5-B024-292EA07BEAA5.jpeg

DAA2C46D-5885-41DF-B448-B5360EA2D2FA.jpeg

BAA4E96D-ECFF-4DA5-B201-82A6F5EDC7C8.jpeg

D1424E92-BF94-4D14-984C-0CF18F345BA6.jpeg

54E37800-AE1B-4E08-97E8-3BC9C8567A5F.jpeg

CB584D10-04B3-44BF-9952-ADDCD6B14331.jpeg

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Ok so I have some kinda weird phenomenon going on in my tank and I’m so confused. My Haitian nem and my long tentacle nem are literally on top of each other and neither of them are annoyed or upset. I have some pictures that I need to upload. My nems also seem friendly to my corals? Is this normal? My Haitian nem literally has been sweeping over my gsp and leopard mushrooms literally not even annoying them. I’ve never heard of a nem that doesn’t sting corals? 

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

Also yesterday when I found the two nems on top of each other, my water was extremely cloudy for some reason? I don’t think I’m having a bacterial bloom, nothing new has been added to the tank and I’ve been doing regular water changes. Could my nems have released something to cloud the water?

2 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

But I only have one of each?? How can these nems spawn when there isn’t two?😂

Solo performance 😉 

They Broadcast spawn, so the female releases eggs, the male sperm and the current does the mixing magic 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
26 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Solo performance 😉 

They Broadcast spawn, so the female releases eggs, the male sperm and the current does the mixing magic 

Oh, so if I don’t have a male nothing will come of it? Kinda disappointing, but it’s ok😂. What if it was possible to have a hybrid of like a long tentacle and Haitian or a carpet nem? That would be awesome if that was possible. I hate that all the nems that I own don’t readily split like bubble nems do. The only thing that makes mine split is if the water conditions are horrible and they aren’t getting enough light. Or I could force him to split by using either a rubber band or cutting straight through the middle. But I’ve never been a fan of doing stuff like that. I tried to do the rubber band method on my jawbreaker to try to get him to split, but after a few days of him looking like him looking annoyed and upset I felt bad and couldn’t do it anymore. If he wants to split or create babies, he’ll do it on his own.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, EthanPhillyCheesesteak said:

Soooooooo, what your saying is that I could possibly have a bunch of baby nems in my tank possibly???

More likely is all the extra nem juice will cause a spike in nutrients 

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Well yeah you have a chance 

Well I’m really hoping that I may find some babies, I love my long tentacle. But it could also possibly be my Haitian or my carpet nem, so there’s still that possibility. I feel like it could’ve possibly of been my carpet, bc he was looking funny after that. He was really shrunken and looks like he lost color. As you can see in the picture above with the carpet in it.