Cultivated Reef

100 Days of Nanos - An Official Nano-Reef Contest

metrokat

StinkyBunny
13 hours ago, spectra said:

:wacko: pain meds suck................. I have a whole bunch of them they gave me and wouldn't take them :lol: they made me feel funny and also plugged me up :o 

I love how the doctors pushed those things like mints........oh you need a refill.......no I don't.......

13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol: Pain meds do serve a purpose and can be great after surgery for a few days while the body gets over the shock of it and starts healing.  But unless someone's got severe, chronic pain it's kinda silly to keep refilling narcotic pain meds...that's how we ended up with the current opiate crisis! :rolleyes:  Seems to be regional though, some places you can be half dying and they want to give you nothing but Tylenol.  Kinda ridiculous.

And yes.  Narcotic pain meds can plug you up big time lol.  Lots of water/fluids, fiber and dark green leafy vegetables, and get up and walk around whenever possible to try to prevent that.  And maybe some colace or a laxative. :lol:

I can only do injectables. The doc looked at me after my sinus surgery when I refused opiates. I asked him how bad it would be if I vomited and it came out my nose? I said gimme 30mg of injectable morphine and I'll take care of it. Being a former medic and an RN FTMFW.

12 hours ago, Coral_chef said:

Really?? ####

I couldn't imagine shipping pricing on that to Oklahoma. 

It's the same price no matter what. I can bring 100 lbs across the country for about $85. The trick is to get close to the 100 lbs because they have a set price for anything up to 100 lbs.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I can only do injectables. The doc looked at me after my sinus surgery when I refused opiates. I asked him how bad it would be if I vomited and it came out my nose? I said gimme 30mg of injectable morphine and I'll take care of it. Being a former medic and an RN FTMFW.

It's the same price no matter what. I can bring 100 lbs across the country for about $85. The trick is to get close to the 100 lbs because they have a set price for anything up to 100 lbs.

Thats pretty much what my guy told me when I askrd about shipping.  You pay the airlines when you pick it up.  He told me they do 90 lbs for about $70 my 70 lbs cost me $57

• Like 1
Coral_chef
37 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Thats pretty much what my guy told me when I askrd about shipping.  You pay the airlines when you pick it up.  He told me they do 90 lbs for about $70 my 70 lbs cost me $57

So you have a ton of extra?

14 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

So you have a ton of extra?

?  He told me what they normally charge for 90 lbs which is $70.  my package was actually 70lbs (remember my stuff was packed with water, I got 15 lbs of sand and 15 lbs of rock) and I paid $57 for shipping.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol: Pain meds do serve a purpose and can be great after surgery for a few days while the body gets over the shock of it and starts healing.  But unless someone's got severe, chronic pain it's kinda silly to keep refilling narcotic pain meds...that's how we ended up with the current opiate crisis! :rolleyes:  Seems to be regional though, some places you can be half dying and they want to give you nothing but Tylenol.  Kinda ridiculous.

And yes.  Narcotic pain meds can plug you up big time lol.  Lots of water/fluids, fiber and dark green leafy vegetables, and get up and walk around whenever possible to try to prevent that.  And maybe some colace or a laxative. :lol:

I was prescribed Oxy-Acetominophen 325mg after a surgery 2 years ago. I took it, 2 hours later I am still in pain, I called the doctor, he said take another. I did. Nothing. I was in the same pain. I watched the clock like my life depended on it. 6 hours later I took 2 extra strength tylenol. 1 hour later I could get up out of bed. I don't know it did not work on me. I am luck that I have never needed pain management more than what over the counters can handle. But I am worried that if I ever do, my options will be limited.

14 hours ago, lkoechle said:

@metrokat for weekly FTS, are we doing that on a specific day?  

No rule as such, just one weekly FTS on the FTS thread. Right @jedimasterben 

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Since I couldn't join in the contest, I shall do so honorarily with my new 5.5. :D

IMG_20170512_192753367

(See more here)

REBEL #3!!!!! omgomgomg

We now have 3 rebel contestants. Or as someone else said - pseudocontestants. :lol:

• Like 6
HouseOf1000Corals

@Coral_chef and I just bought some chateo and want you experienced reefers to chime in on what you think. I think there might be some bubble algae? Tried to take pics in the car but I'll upload more when home! 

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

Bubble algae? 

IMG_0303.JPG

StinkyBunny
4 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Sure looks like bubble algae to me.

Me too.

1 minute ago, HouseOf1000Corals said:

Do you know what the white things are? 

They look like Asterina starfish to me.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I was prescribed Oxy-Acetominophen 325mg after a surgery 2 years ago. I took it, 2 hours later I am still in pain, I called the doctor, he said take another. I did. Nothing. I was in the same pain. I watched the clock like my life depended on it. 6 hours later I took 2 extra strength tylenol. 1 hour later I could get up out of bed. I don't know it did not work on me. I am luck that I have never needed pain management more than what over the counters can handle. But I am worried that if I ever do, my options will be limited.

No rule as such, just one weekly FTS on the FTS thread. Right @jedimasterben 

REBEL #3!!!!! omgomgomg

We now have 3 rebel contestants. Or as someone else said - pseudocontestants. :lol:

Did you have one or two?  Sometimes certain things just don't work well for someone.  Where I worked, if someone had a lot of pain we'd offer 2 percocet and 600mg motrin at the same time when possible to help knock it out (didn't use many other narcotics on our unit).  If you have surgery again I'd be sure to let your provider know about that experience, though my dad found the second time he broke his arm and had surgery, he needed a different series of pain control than the first time when he broke his other arm.  The human body is weird sometimes lol.

And yes, rebel pseudocontestant! :ninja::lol:

• Like 1

Run from the bubble algae :lol: that stuff can go nuts in a tank........ask @stellablue her rocks were covered in that stuff.

I have found also if you have good parameters the macro will grow fast. I didn't want that stuff in my fuge and well just a few pieces and I was pulling out golf ball sized chunks every so often.......

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Did you have one or two?  Sometimes certain things just don't work well for someone.  Where I worked, if someone had a lot of pain we'd offer 2 percocet and 600mg motrin at the same time when possible to help knock it out (didn't use many other narcotics on our unit).  If you have surgery again I'd be sure to let your provider know about that experience, though my dad found the second time he broke his arm and had surgery, he needed a different series of pain control than the first time when he broke his other arm.  The human body is weird sometimes lol.

And yes, rebel pseudocontestant! :ninja::lol:

Instructions said 1 tablet every 6 hours. That's why I called the doctor when the first pill didn't work.

42 minutes ago, spectra said:

Run from the bubble algae :lol: that stuff can go nuts in a tank........ask @stellablue her rocks were covered in that stuff.

I have found also if you have good parameters the macro will grow fast. I didn't want that stuff in my fuge and well just a few pieces and I was pulling out golf ball sized chunks every so often.......

Yep I agree with spectra - after dealing with bubble algae, personally I would toss the chaeto or bring it back. The spores can cling to stuff and where there's one bubble there's always more. 

• Like 3
Coral_chef
18 minutes ago, stellablue said:

Yep I agree with spectra - after dealing with bubble algae, personally I would toss the chaeto or bring it back. The spores can cling to stuff and where there's one bubble there's always more. 

Yeah we are just going to toss it, was only 5$

• Like 2
sabrefencer

Hmmm I was thinking of transferring some of my corals to the IM tank but my  30 breeder does have Bubble Algae - my experience is the same no matter what even if you have one - there are more lurking you don't see and if you don't keep up with husbandry bubble algae will take over. IMO take back that chaeto for sure. Emerald crabs keep it in check somewhat but not a long term solution. Is there any dip that can be used on corals to remove any possibility of re-growth? I doubt it. Maybe hydrogen peroxide but even when I've replaced every single rock in my tank and removed any on the base of the corals the bubble algae was attached to it still grew back. One of the reasons I've been thinking of hanging it up prior to this contest 

Edited by sabrefencer
Added some additional info
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, sabrefencer said:

Hmmm I was thinking of transferring some of my corals to the IM tank but my  30 breeder does have Bubble Algae - my experience is the same no matter what even if you have one - there are more lurking you don't see and if you don't keep up with husbandry bubble algae will take over. IMO take back that chaeto for sure. Emerald crabs keep it in check somewhat but not a long term solution. Is there any dip that can be used on corals to remove any possibility of re-growth?

I wouldn't recommend this unless you know there is bubble algae as I think it is very rough on the corals but peroxide is the only thing I know that will help stop algae 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Coral_chef said:

Yeah we are just going to toss it, was only 5$

I was going to say toss it but didn't want to sound like a Richard :lol: 

Look at it this way to its the cheapest thing you will lose in your tank ;) just wait till you get into sticks and a whole colony RTNs :( 

• Like 3
Coral_chef
1 hour ago, spectra said:

I was going to say toss it but didn't want to sound like a Richard :lol: 

Look at it this way to its the cheapest thing you will lose in your tank ;) just wait till you get into sticks and a whole colony RTNs :( 

Don't put that voodoo on me. 

• Like 1

So question for everyone.......what do you think of the flow of the stock pump? Seems to move water really well as I have some macro that is moving pretty good in the flow. I hate power heads in a small aquarium so going to just stay with the stock pump I think......well also need a replacement as this  thing hums like a SOB.............my ears ring 24/7 and can hear it 2 rooms away :blink: its driving me nuts as I type.........

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

So question for everyone.......what do you think of the flow of the stock pump? Seems to move water really well as I have some macro that is moving pretty good in the flow. I hate power heads in a small aquarium so going to just stay with the stock pump I think......well also need a replacement as this  thing hums like a SOB.............my ears ring 24/7 and can hear it 2 rooms away :blink: its driving me nuts as I type.........

If you look at your book that came with the tank. You will notice the pump is the same model number in the 14 and 20. Its a 180GPH pump.

Which is almost 13x I would say it will be good enough for everything but SPS. Also keep in mind no power head means more dead spots.

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic