Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

21 hours ago, metrokat said:

Phosphates and Nitrates are high again so I am addressing that with Lantham Chloride and NO3 cubes seeded with MicroBacter 7. I have sent 3 water samples to 3 different companies for testing. Triton came back with high phosphates, lithium, bromine and selenium but nothing else noteworthy. I have to go over the results with Joe Caparatta from Unique Corals but we haven't connected yet. He did say nothing to worry about. 

I had high Lithium, Bromine and Selenium when i did my test too.. curious to what reasoning you can come up with because i never figured it out. Specifically the selenium.

Also did you send just your tank water or did you send any fresh mixed water? Searching on selenium i couldn't find anything that would leach it, only threads i came upon was people using brightwell salt like we do. Could be a coincidence, testing error etc. Just trying to find an answer.

2 hours ago, Mariaface said:

Such an amazing update!! :wub:  I should do one of these.

Bathtime was so fun!! I need to visit these munchkins again before they get adopted.. Callie's so precious. I need dis.

Reveal hidden contents

About your duncans: I think only one head of the duncans in my tank melted, and it was (I'm 95% sure) BJD after some jerk knocked them onto the floor. They must've gotten scraped on something, and then it ate away at the skin around the skeleton on three or four heads. But after reducing phosphates, adding Microbacter (Clean and 7) and nitrates, the recession stopped cold and the two heads that shrank back have been out and about like the rest of them, waving in the flow :) 

Are you volunteering to be her forever home? :lol:

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Arce said:

I had high Lithium, Bromine and Selenium when i did my test too.. curious to what reasoning you can come up with because i never figured it out. Specifically the selenium.

Also did you send just your tank water or did you send any fresh mixed water? Searching on selenium i couldn't find anything that would leach it, only threads i came upon was people using brightwell salt like we do. Could be a coincidence, testing error etc. Just trying to find an answer.

I remember your issues and the concern you had. I am sending a fresh mix sample for testing, probably after MACNA.

Lithium however is a standard in all American salts according to Joe Caparatta. He would know, he is a partner/owner of Triton.

He said Selenium comes from shellfish. 

• Like 1

Cleaned one of the gyres. Did a water change.

If you follow me on IG or FB, I did a few live videos of unboxing new technology from Maxspect. I got sent the new turbine duo pump and it's pretty revolutionary. It has 2 impellers so you can have it connect to a chiller, skimmer, reactor. It negates the need for a manifold. 1800gph making it more powerful than a similar sized Vectra. 

Took myself off to a Lionel Richie concert yesterday, with special guest Mariah Carey. They had an opener band, an interim band and a whole lot of wow.

• Like 6
On 8/17/2017 at 4:38 PM, metrokat said:

I remember your issues and the concern you had. I am sending a fresh mix sample for testing, probably after MACNA.

Lithium however is a standard in all American salts according to Joe Caparatta. He would know, he is a partner/owner of Triton.

He said Selenium comes from shellfish. 

Let me know what the results are. Did he say if the selenium was toxic or would cause issues or is it inert? What was your concentration of it? I'm assuming he may think that its coming in from whatever were feeding, what food do you use?

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the issues that you have been having Kat, it's never fun when the tank isn't running right. Sorry to see that your return pump died also, it's for this very reason that I ended up buying a spare pump for my return and skimmer pump. Jebao pumps are good value for money but i'd rather be safe than sorry. That new Maxspect pump looks pretty cool though, really interesting concept. If it lives up to the hype it could prove to be a huge innovation for our hobby.

• Like 1

It's a little hectic over here with preparing for MACNA, and stuff.  I'll post tank news later I guess.

In other news the 100 Days of Nanos contest has concluded, it is time to vote!!!!

You have 3 total votes - one for each category.

• Like 1

Hello from MACNA! This is my first trip to NOLA and I'm embarrassed to report that I won't be enjoying much of what this city has to offer, mainly because I refuse to step outside. I don't care for humidity.

I swear by tressome keratin smooth 7 day system though, ladies. If you fight frizz and hate bad hair days, try it. 

Back to MACNA. Love being here but the weather has for sure affected attendance in a big way, IMO. 

BTW I've been up since 2 am. I had 2 dirty martinis with dinner and they were delish but I wake up in the middle of the night for no reason with hard liquor and can't fall back to sleep. Today being a long ass day with the show and the banquet.... Getting tired just thinking about it.

Sat with @Sancho for a bit at the bar last night. Of course @StevieT is here and it has been great to meet old friends and make new ones. 

Famous people hug count, they're not just friends, we all share the love of this hobby so conversations just never end. 

Richard Ross

Sanjay Joshi

Dr. Craig Bingman

Jack Kent

Marc Levenson

Caitlin Lee

Kevin Kohen

Matt Pederson

Walt Smith

Farm Boy Reef Ryan

Mad Hatters Reef Jeff

George12g

Innovative Marine isn't here but CurrentUSA is. Ike <-- :wub:

So they took out a new blue tooth controller.

Neptune took out the trident, a triple doser. It's a big doohickey, more on that later.

I'm most excited about the Aquatic Life hybrid.  @DaveFason it has an ultra slim profile, has 4 T5s with silicone end caps and no cover so even with splashing there is no rusting. 

You all saw my Turbine Duo pump from Maxspect, and they have a new light out. 

Reef Octopus has a new line of LUX aquariums in direct competition with the red Sea reefers. And includes a RO skimmer in the package! 2 tank sizes, both under 50g

CoralVue has a show incentive. Get a free t-shirt, wear it click a picture tag them in the post and be entered to win a Gyre bundle. Wear that shirt around town, your town, wherever.

Brightwell wants to show you their new products including a calibration Solution. Go to the booth and say I'm here to see the new stuff, Jack. And get a product sample. 

Rod's food is of course giving away food and t-shirts. 

The button hunt is on! 

I'll write more later.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When you drink you shed electrolytes. The doctor prescribes an electrolyte replacement. Be it a Gatorade, tomato juice or V8 juice. That imbalance can cause insomnia in some people.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Hey @metrokat did you bring home any new goodies from MACNA for your reef?

Just swollen feet. :lol:

This probably was the first fishy trip where I have come back empty handed. Yes empty handed. I have offers that people and companies were kind enough to make. These include everything from gear to livestock, test kits, aquariums. So my apologies for being lame in this regard.

On another note, Marine Depot blasted out 3 videos that I did for them yesterday. I'm an amateur so keep that in mind. :flower:

Here you go:

StevieT

Aquatic Life

PaxBellum

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back and nice job on the videos! I had already watched the AquaticLife one but didn't realize it was you. 

I still can't believe you didn't bring any goodies back :)

19 hours ago, metrokat said:

Just swollen feet. :lol:

This probably was the first fishy trip where I have come back empty handed. Yes empty handed. I have offers that people and companies were kind enough to make. These include everything from gear to livestock, test kits, aquariums. So my apologies for being lame in this regard.

On another note, Marine Depot blasted out 3 videos that I did for them yesterday. I'm an amateur so keep that in mind. :flower:

Here you go:

StevieT

Aquatic Life

PaxBellum

Two words: Alegria shoes.  I got some for work and though they were a little painful to break in, I can now wear them for long shifts and my feet feel great at the end of the day, nothing like when I was wearing tennis shoes.  They're a bit pricey but I'm now converted lol.