ReefCleaners.org

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

Kat,

I wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved cat of 12 years just a week before yours and it hurts like hell. I am happy that you are doing something so positive fostering those kittens. You are a great person and Bogi had a wonderful life full of love with you.

• Like 1

You all are too generous in your compliments, I suck at videos. Come on you can agree with me. I am an amateur and it shows, these were my first videos ever. I'll just hide under the desk while Marine Depot is still blasting them out, they released 2 more today. :blink:

My landlady threw a curveball at me last night. She was to send me a renewal within 90 days of lease end date and did not. Now it is 60 days to end date. I texted her and did not hear back. Finally she texted me back that she was out of the country and that it seems I am not happy so I should look for another apartment. Bloody hell. So I told her it does not work like that she has to send me a written notice and give me 90 days and if she is not offering a renewal then she needs to give a reason for it.

So then she texts me that she wants to increase my rent $600 a year and wants me to sign an 18 mo lease. I negotiated her down to $300 and she's going to get the a/c serviced which she should never have fought me on. I have viewing appointments and I need to crunch numbers. $300 more for the year is worth not having to move. But I am finding lower rents in the area and in buildings that I am very interested in. With one of them I'll pay almost $1200 less for the year than the new increased rent. It is the thought of moving the tank that has me stressed, nothing else.

On 8/30/2017 at 3:55 PM, micoastreefing said:

Hey! I was just wondering if the AquaticLife one was you....:D, since you mentioned it in the earlier post.  You did great in that one, haven't watch the others yet. :flower:

Thank you. Very amateur videos, and the gear I had could have been better. Thank you for your kind words.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:03 PM, Christopher Marks said:

LOL!

Great videos @metrokat! Great to see the @inTank booth and local celebrity @StevieT :) 

It was great to see @StevieT, he's always a riot and he knows it. 

On 8/30/2017 at 5:50 PM, teenyreef said:

Welcome back and nice job on the videos! I had already watched the AquaticLife one but didn't realize it was you. 

I still can't believe you didn't bring any goodies back :)

I can't believe it either. Thanks for thinking the were good videos, I'm cringing. 

On 8/30/2017 at 5:55 PM, Lawnman said:

Great job on the videos!!!

Thanks Lawn, I say eeeeks everytime I see it. If I am to do more it needs to be better. Hope you are doing well.

16 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Those video's are great. So are all your goodies being shipped to you.

Thank you. I haven't taken up anyone on their offer of goodies yet so nothing is being shipped to me yet. 

15 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Two words: Alegria shoes.  I got some for work and though they were a little painful to break in, I can now wear them for long shifts and my feet feel great at the end of the day, nothing like when I was wearing tennis shoes.  They're a bit pricey but I'm now converted lol.

I'm going to have to look into that. I had super thick foam wedge flip flops and flat sandals, but standing/walking the whole entire day and very salty food did a number on me. Literally the only time I sat was when I had to eat lunch and dinner.

14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Kat,

I wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved cat of 12 years just a week before yours and it hurts like hell. I am happy that you are doing something so positive fostering those kittens. You are a great person and Bogi had a wonderful life full of love with you.

Hi Amber - thank you for your kind words. I am sorry for your loss as well. It just never goes away - the emptiness. I have caught myself calling the fosters "Bogi" so many times. When I scold them or even baby talk to them I somehow end up calling them Bogi or all the endearments I had for him. He was just the best part of 17 years, he was everything. I just feel so incomplete. 

Here's Casper.

Look at his filthy face.

• Like 9
On 8/26/2017 at 9:04 PM, StinkyBunny said:

When you drink you shed electrolytes. The doctor prescribes an electrolyte replacement. Be it a Gatorade, tomato juice or V8 juice. That imbalance can cause insomnia in some people.

Very useful information, thank you Stinky.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I looked online and don't see anything about a three headed doser from Neptune? Great videos 

That was a typo, sorry. maybe it was after the martinis.

The Trident is a monitor.

Checks Alk, Ca, Mg.

Priced between $500-$600 but is not backwards compatible.

They did some FB live and videos with Aficionado and the news outlets in our hobby so those will have more info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I say you roll get the hell outta there toute suite. You call that crazy 1/2 breed that lives in Maryland to come help you move, he'd do it, he nuts. :D Then you make trouble for your current landlord.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, metrokat said:

You all are too generous in your compliments, I suck at videos. Come on you can agree with me. I am an amateur and it shows, these were my first videos ever. I'll just hide under the desk while Marine Depot is still blasting them out, they released 2 more today. :blink:

My landlady threw a curveball at me last night. She was to send me a renewal within 90 days of lease end date and did not. Now it is 60 days to end date. I texted her and did not hear back. Finally she texted me back that she was out of the country and that it seems I am not happy so I should look for another apartment. Bloody hell. So I told her it does not work like that she has to send me a written notice and give me 90 days and if she is not offering a renewal then she needs to give a reason for it.

So then she texts me that she wants to increase my rent $600 a year and wants me to sign an 18 mo lease. I negotiated her down to $300 and she's going to get the a/c serviced which she should never have fought me on. I have viewing appointments and I need to crunch numbers. $300 more for the year is worth not having to move. But I am finding lower rents in the area and in buildings that I am very interested in. With one of them I'll pay almost $1200 less for the year than the new increased rent. It is the thought of moving the tank that has me stressed, nothing else.

Thank you. Very amateur videos, and the gear I had could have been better. Thank you for your kind words.

It was great to see @StevieT, he's always a riot and he knows it. 

I can't believe it either. Thanks for thinking the were good videos, I'm cringing. 

Thanks Lawn, I say eeeeks everytime I see it. If I am to do more it needs to be better. Hope you are doing well.

Thank you. I haven't taken up anyone on their offer of goodies yet so nothing is being shipped to me yet. 

I'm going to have to look into that. I had super thick foam wedge flip flops and flat sandals, but standing/walking the whole entire day and very salty food did a number on me. Literally the only time I sat was when I had to eat lunch and dinner.

Hi Amber - thank you for your kind words. I am sorry for your loss as well. It just never goes away - the emptiness. I have caught myself calling the fosters "Bogi" so many times. When I scold them or even baby talk to them I somehow end up calling them Bogi or all the endearments I had for him. He was just the best part of 17 years, he was everything. I just feel so incomplete. 

Here's Casper.

Look at his filthy face.

Standing that long is hard no matter what but the Alegrias (and sexy compression socks :lol:) are amazing (better than tennis shoes with the compression socks by far).  My only complaint is they're a bit heavy but the support is definitely there.

Honestly, with a landlady like that, I'd be looking into moving.  Lazy/incompetent landlords are a pain to deal with and if she fought you over something like the a/c, who knows what else she'll try to fight you on. :mellow:

Casper! :wub:

• Like 2

Hi Kat,

latest coral magazine has an article about lanthanum (spelling?) dosing.  Good read if you can get it.  I've been adding at least 1 drop daily for a year now, no special filtration.  I thought it was especially interesting how he tested positive for lanthalum if the dose was too high.  Might explain the issues I had when I tried raising the dose.

I am so sorry about the Lionel Richie concert, I hope you recover quickly.   :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looks like Goldschlager to me :lol: 

Lol. Had a shot of that last night after we won the softball championship game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, markalot said:

Hi Kat,

latest coral magazine has an article about lanthanum (spelling?) dosing.  Good read if you can get it.  I've been adding at least 1 drop daily for a year now, no special filtration.  I thought it was especially interesting how he tested positive for lanthalum if the dose was too high.  Might explain the issues I had when I tried raising the dose.

I am so sorry about the Lionel Richie concert, I hope you recover quickly.   :D

Ha! 

My ICP test came back with Lanthum in it, since I had started dosing. I do have the latest issue of the magazine, I will read up on it, thanks for letting me know.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Great vids Kat!

Sucks about the apartment but it'll work out how it's supposed to.

I'd help ya move that tank if I was closer. 

Thank you SeaFurn. People of the republic of reef are ready with buckets in hand. But it is still unnerving. Maybe I'll pull another not-quite-Christmas-yet miracle and get a new tank..... :o

Thing is, the new light needs the new tank to be 36X24 which makes it far larger than the 50g total system volume I have now because of the drop off. I don't care for larger tanks. 36X24X18 will work but not sure of there are many RR tanks of those dims. Hmmm more research needed I suppose. Going to throw on my canister filter on this tank this weekend. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, metrokat said:

Thank you SeaFurn. People of the republic of reef are ready with buckets in hand. But it is still unnerving. Maybe I'll pull another not-quite-Christmas-yet miracle and get a new tank..... :o

Thing is, the new light needs the new tank to be 36X24 which makes it far larger than the 50g total system volume I have now because of the drop off. I don't care for larger tanks. 36X24X18 will work but not sure of there are many RR tanks of those dims. Hmmm more research needed I suppose. Going to throw on my canister filter on this tank this weekend. 

Oh...a new tank!  

The only one that pops into mind like that is a Deep Blue 45g.   It's RR, overflow in the corner, but rimmed and shallow  @ 36X24X12.

• Like 2
On 9/2/2017 at 0:54 PM, SeaFurn said:

Oh...a new tank!  

The only one that pops into mind like that is a Deep Blue 45g.   It's RR, overflow in the corner, but rimmed and shallow  @ 36X24X12.

Or Red Sea Reefer 250. Or CADlights Artisan II 75g.... :blush:

• Like 5

Is it me? I just can't seem to catch a break. My tank crashed last night.

More than 500ml of Alk overdosed into the system one drop at a time. I had a cry not that that solves anything. Alkalinity is at 14dKH right now. And water changes will bring it down. Whatever I could save is in the crowded 10G pare tank, with just a carbon reactor, and powerhead. The pink urchin is losing her spines. I've lost corals of course but since this happened at 2 am just over 15 hours ago - the complete death toll is TBD.

I lost my super male wrasse almost immediately after throwing him into new water and I can't find one goby. Thats pretty miraculous if you ask me. I fished everybody else out in milky white water with zero visibility. Remaining corals in the tank seem to be alive - not sure how that is possible. I found the royal gramma very stressed but alive in a cold tank this morning, threw him in the 10 also. And JUST NOW I saw my blenny. He's alive too. How is that possible?

I'm not sure what to do. I went and got a temporary 20G to house everything till I do water changes in the tank. But the 20 is leaking so I have to go back to petco again. Petsmart this morning did not have any 20Gallons. 

I am possibly moving in 2 months so thinking should I set back the tank up or just have everything in the temporary 20G. I have spare lights and a canister filter. Gotta keep thinking, and doing something. I can't just sit and let this overwhelm me.

Should I put the fish back in the tank?

The 10G is cloudy, I have put in some prime and the fish don't seem to be gasping for air.

• Sad 6

Forgot to mention. I threw in 5 drops of lanthum chloride last night. I remembered that in the absence of phosphate it binds to carbonate. Not sure if it did anything but the tank was quite clear this morning compared to 2 am. And continues to be hazy but no more than the 10G.