Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

I can confirm; Kat's an amazing friend. :flower:

You're just saying that because I know where you live. :slap:

:D

Just now, TheKleinReef said:

giphy.gif

I don't know Roger, hard to see the light about Bogi being gone.

• Like 2
TheKleinReef
1 minute ago, metrokat said:

You're just saying that because I know where you live. :slap:

:D

I don't know Roger, hard to see the light about Bogi being gone.

I remember when I lost my first dog. I never thought I would ever be free of the sadness, but the more I went on the more I came to realize that Bailey had a terrific life in a terrific home and as hard as it was to believe he went to an even better place. Death is cruel to take away a beautiful thing such as life away, but with out it life isn't as sweet. 

• Like 1
Just now, TheKleinReef said:

I remember when I lost my first dog. I never thought I would ever be free of the sadness, but the more I went on the more I came to realize that Bailey had a terrific life in a terrific home and as hard as it was to believe he went to an even better place. Death is cruel to take away a beautiful thing such as life away, but with out it life isn't as sweet. 

You're right about many things. Bogi was an utterly pampered little guy. He was the boss of me, he had trained me to wake up at 4am to feed him and go back to bed. I still wake up at 4. I know I gave him a good life, I know I made the right choice to let him go when I did. It still doesn't make me feel any less bereft. It takes time. I know this. 

• Like 7
TheKleinReef
Just now, metrokat said:

You're right about many things. Bogi was an utterly pampered little guy. He was the boss of me, he had trained me to wake up at 4am to feed him and go back to bed. I still wake up at 4. I know I gave him a good life, I know I made the right choice to let him go when I did. It still doesn't make me feel any less bereft. It takes time. I know this. 

Time is arguably just as cruel as death. 

If you haven't seen the movie "Collateral Beauty," I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

Kat, when we lost Charlie (the boxer in my avatar), I was positive that my life was over as well.  I didn't think I would ever get over his loss.  Rob and I had saved his life...when I brought him home, he was dying.  We had to give him around the clock care for 2 weeks before he was out of the woods.  After he died, I felt like someone had punched a hole in my chest and removed my heart.  After a month of this, someone brought a puppy in that had been tied up in a parking lot and left to die.  He brought me back to life again.

He isn't Charlie, and never will be.  Nothing will ever replace Charlie in my heart, but he made it possible for my heart to beat again.

You have too much love in you to never give it to another kitty.  Volunteering and fostering will be a good outlet.  And who knows?  You may end up being like Rob and I and failing at fostering, since anybody we ever fostered ended up living here forever.

Please, please call me if you need to talk.  We're here for you.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, 2Boxers said:

Kat, when we lost Charlie (the boxer in my avatar), I was positive that my life was over as well.  I didn't think I would ever get over his loss.  Rob and I had saved his life...when I brought him home, he was dying.  We had to give him around the clock care for 2 weeks before he was out of the woods.  After he died, I felt like someone had punched a hole in my chest and removed my heart.  After a month of this, someone brought a puppy in that had been tied up in a parking lot and left to die.  He brought me back to life again.

He isn't Charlie, and never will be.  Nothing will ever replace Charlie in my heart, but he made it possible for my heart to beat again.

You have too much love in you to never give it to another kitty.  Volunteering and fostering will be a good outlet.  And who knows?  You may end up being like Rob and I and failing at fostering, since anybody we ever fostered ended up living here forever.

Please, please call me if you need to talk.  We're here for you.

:wub:

Thank you Miss M. So glad I am able to type because I totally suck at conversations about Bogi, almost 6 weeks later. I went to a pet bereavement support group the other day and I was a complete disaster. I was shocked at myself! Then the vet tech that was home with us on his last day sent me a card - she has donated 5 trees in Bogi's name. 

I submitted an application to foster. The lady at the shelter showed me the kitten room, gosh they were so little. I don't want to fail at fostering though. I may be ready for another cat, or dog, in time, I don't know. Right now I just need time with my memories. I haven't processed his last few days, it hurts too much. I'm just frozen in that moment when he died in my arms. 

I'm working on a few things though. Can't remember if I posted about it.

This is his water bowl :) 

img%5D

• Like 10

Fishy news. I now have 2 reactors.

On the left is an Aquamedic brine shrimp hatchery that I repurposed to be a phyto reactor. It is currently brewing spirulina. I crashed my first culture, the lights run hot and I was running them 24 hrs. I've reduced the photos period and put it on a timer. Let's see how this second batch does.

On the right is the Aquamaxx DIY algae reactor. This is week #9 or 10. It grows chaeto and it catches detritus.

My nitrates and phosphates have recently been higher again. I have that new male Anthias which is hiding and I was throwing in a LOT of food in the hope that he would eat.

He is but he's still scared to come out. /facepalm

• Like 9
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

:wub:

Thank you Miss M. So glad I am able to type because I totally suck at conversations about Bogi, almost 6 weeks later. I went to a pet bereavement support group the other day and I was a complete disaster. I was shocked at myself! Then the vet tech that was home with us on his last day sent me a card - she has donated 5 trees in Bogi's name. 

I submitted an application to foster. The lady at the shelter showed me the kitten room, gosh they were so little. I don't want to fail at fostering though. I may be ready for another cat, or dog, in time, I don't know. Right now I just need time with my memories. I haven't processed his last few days, it hurts too much. I'm just frozen in that moment when he died in my arms. 

I'm working on a few things though. Can't remember if I posted about it.

This is his water bowl :) 

img%5D

I get it.  And only you will know when you're ready.  I love the water bowl, that is so beautiful...and a lovely tribute to him. 

Like I said, anytime you want to talk, I'm a phone call away.  Be well.

Edited by 2Boxers
double posted. D'oh!
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, metrokat said:

Fishy news. I now have 2 reactors.

On the left is an Aquamedic brine shrimp hatchery that I repurposed to be a phyto reactor. It is currently brewing spirulina. I crashed my first culture, the lights run hot and I was running them 24 hrs. I've reduced the photos period and put it on a timer. Let's see how this second batch does.

On the right is the Aquamaxx DIY algae reactor. This is week #9 or 10. It grows chaeto and it catches detritus.

My nitrates and phosphates have recently been higher again. I have that new male Anthias which is hiding and I was throwing in a LOT of food in the hope that he would eat.

He is but he's still scared to come out. /facepalm

Guess since my reactor never sold I should set something like this up ?

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Anthias take a beating in the supply chain. They need to pick at plankton all day long. If you can find out when Africa is coming in, that's the place to get them. They're in the supply chain a lot less time and the flight to the USA is much shorter. They might cost a little more, but it's well worth it IMO. Getting them eating right away is imperative. I've had great luck getting them started on Selcon soaked mysis and smaller plankton. They can't just be fed once or twice a day. Once you get them onto pellets, you can use those for mid day feedings to get weight on them, I like NLS pellets best.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I'm so sorry to hear about Bogi :tears: It sounds like you took incredible care of him though, and he was very lucky to have your love for 17 years.  I can't even imagine what you're going through right now, but just remember that in time it will hurt less, and you will be able to think of Bogi and all the good times spent together with a smile on your face.  My cat is 12 now, and because we adopted him when I was 5 I don't even remember a time before my furry BFF.  I try not to think about the day when I won't have him to curl up with on the couch anymore.

And as for your tank, it's fantabulous!!  :wub:  I really wish I had read your thread sooner, I'll be following along now!  I love the creamsicle RFA, and everything is just so colorful in there!  It's a very unique tank :)

• Like 2

Thanks guys. :wub:

Got a question for you renters out there. It's been brutally hot. My airconditioning has not been keeping up, I'm not alone in this. My apartment is around 78-79 degrees with the a/c running 24/7. My electric bill is lovely. I have southern exposure but I keep blinds and curtains drawn all the time. When I cook or use the dryer for laundry, the apartment is at 81. I had it cleaned by the super and it did not help. I had an independent approved contractor come in and he said it was underpowered for my room size. So the a/c is working but it is underpowered. Naturally replacing it is expensive and the landlady has refused.

This isn't a make or break deal for me as far as renewing my lease when the time comes. But her reasoning is that her last 3 tenants have not complained. How is that a good reason when I don't know how long ago she had tenants in here, and how old this a/c is.

I'm ranting now I suppose. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, metrokat said:

I'm ranting now I suppose. 

Is it central air or window/wall units? I've rented apartments twice now that had those little wall units in the living room, and the air never circulates enough to cool the bedroom. Both times I never thought to contact the landlord to replace or upgrade the unit. I just bought my own window/portable units for my bedroom. $100-$150. Then sold it once I didn't need it anymore. I would set the living room unit to cool the living/dining/kitchen area to 75-76 during the day. Used a curtain/sheet to block off my bedroom and only ran the air in there at night at what was most comfortable for me to sleep, usually 68-70. 

• Like 2

Running fans (I like those tall tower fans) can help circulate the air around but just because the previous tenants never complained doesn't mean the a/c doesn't need maintenance/repair NOW with you.  Things break, it happens, and your landlady should know this.  Totally rolling my eyeballs at that.

My apartment up north had landlord provided heat which kept it near 80 all winter with the windows open.  Ridiculous.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kimberbee said:

Is it central air or window/wall units? I've rented apartments twice now that had those little wall units in the living room, and the air never circulates enough to cool the bedroom. Both times I never thought to contact the landlord to replace or upgrade the unit. I just bought my own window/portable units for my bedroom. $100-$150. Then sold it once I didn't need it anymore. I would set the living room unit to cool the living/dining/kitchen area to 75-76 during the day. Used a curtain/sheet to block off my bedroom and only ran the air in there at night at what was most comfortable for me to sleep, usually 68-70. 

Window units. It is the landlord's responsibility to repair/replace appliances. It is mandated in the lease agreement. My unit is working, seems to be underpowered according to the guy that wants to earn money from a sale transaction. I would get my own unit but it won't be larger than this one, so then I would be running two to cool the one room. More bills.

44 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Running fans (I like those tall tower fans) can help circulate the air around but just because the previous tenants never complained doesn't mean the a/c doesn't need maintenance/repair NOW with you.  Things break, it happens, and your landlady should know this.  Totally rolling my eyeballs at that.

My apartment up north had landlord provided heat which kept it near 80 all winter with the windows open.  Ridiculous.

Yeah, I've got 2 tower fans running. My apartment is hot in the winter too, I get more direct sun. I leave the windows and balcony door open to keep it cool during the day.

If it's underpowered, and you need a twice the wattage to cool the room, getting a second one will look about the same on monthly bills, right? 

(Or just sit right in front of the AC output all day like I would :P )

That AC issue sounds like an up-hill battle... you are probably better off with a chiller at that rate (if the tank is your main concern with heat on the rise).
I totally feel for you. Our last apartment was on the top floor of a 3 story home. There was zero insulation in the roof or walls, and no matter what we did, it was always crazy hot in the summer, and freezing in the winter. No amount of space heaters or window ac units made more than a dent in the temps... sucks!