Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

The Red Sea Reefer has been in my mind since they launched. And if you remember my first Red Sea TOTM - you never forget your first love they say. :D

My new light from @DaveFason is the consideration there. I really like the 36 inch long tanks. This new light is 17.5 wide so an 18 inch width tank would be fine but the light might be overkill. The Reef Octopus LUX 90 won't be out till Nov/Dec.

• Like 4
On 9/7/2017 at 7:41 PM, teenyreef said:

I heart hurts for you Kat. I hope the rest of the fish pull through, you clearly made the best decision you could under the circumstances.

Starting fresh in a new apartment with a new tank sounds like a great idea!

To fresh starts! :cheers:

On 9/6/2017 at 10:40 PM, Tamberav said:

This is one of those times where I can say.. I know what you are going through right now. My other Bengal, Onyx was a rescue and when we lost Natawni he took it very hard too... started doing behaviors he had never done before, yowling and searching for her and crying at the door endlessly if I left until I came home. It is heartbreaking to see how much animals can care about each other. He was previously abused and Natawni was a big part of his recovery. He also has asthma so having a stressed cat only added to that danger. We decided to get a kitten (even though I was not ready for it) and ended up picking out a 6 month old so I could pick bit older cat that would be a perfect match for Onyx. At first it just helped distract him but now they cuddle and play and thankfully he is not stressed out all the time now. 

However, sometimes I call our new kitten Akira mistakenly Natawni out of habit when she is being loud (Natawni was talkative) and sometimes my brain plays tricks on me and when Akira is running up out of the corner of my eye, for a brief moment I think it is Natawni. I'm not sure but coming home to a empty house might be harder, at least the lil fur balls keep us busy. 

Also, I am sorry about your tank, I hope the damage is not as bad as it looks and that your fish pull through. It was heartbreaking to see this happened to you. You don't need more on your plate right now.

:grouphug:

Thank you. Animals sneak into spaces in us we did not know existed. They say they are spirit animals so if you have loved one, they never leave your side.I'm glad your kitty isn't stressed. Rescue Remedy from Bach is a very good thing. They make a pet version too. It has so many uses and is completely safe.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:02 PM, debbeach13 said:

Dam that is terrible. I hope your fast reaction keeps the losses to a minimum. 

Tried, failed, learnt. Such is life.

On 9/6/2017 at 2:17 PM, micoastreefing said:

hope that everything pulled through.   

It was to be expected that there would be a sacrifice. It is still undetermined since things are still not stable.

On 9/6/2017 at 8:34 AM, DaveFason said:

Can you possibly take some of your pried corals to Manhattan Corals? Maybe Jonathan? 

GET A RED SEA! :D

:D

On 9/6/2017 at 7:40 AM, Lula_Mae said:

:tears: 

:grouphug:

Thank you

On 9/6/2017 at 1:15 AM, teenyreef said:

Oh no, Kat! I hope everything pulls through, at least you were able to catch it before it got even higher. I'm having flashbacks from when I killed my 4g by dosing alk all night long. Sending good wishes! :grouphug:

Thank you. I'm still amazed that my only fish loss was the wrasse. Of course it HAD to be the super male super expensive fish. Right? I mean the sea foam palys are doing fantastic. The wrasse - no. 

On 9/5/2017 at 11:37 PM, Lawnman said:

I agree with this. Sorry to hear about your tank Kat :( wishing you and the tank the best. 

Thank you Lawn. Sad but need to keep moving forward.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:04 PM, holy carp said:

OMG, how did an overdose like that happen? 

Hope everything pulls through.  

I agree a few big water changes in the main tank bringing alk and pH back in line is probably a more stable system than the temporary tanks you would set up.

Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Carp. Your pod is cute. Are you ready for that Toby yet? 

On 9/5/2017 at 10:39 PM, markalot said:

Hoping for the best outcome.  I almost hooked my 40 up to the doser so i don't have to do it by hand ... and now I'm having second thoughts.   The Apex on the 150 will kill the doser power if PH rises too much, but my smaller tank doesn't have a PH meter.

For stability it is essential to have it on a doser. Freak accidents can happen to anything at any time. Don't let this change your mind. I am going back to my auto dosing when things are well again. In fact the calcium is already back on.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:37 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Wow Kat, that's terrible:( 

Your fast acting saved so much, at 2 AM no less! See how things settle in the temporary 20 gallon tank and give yourself a chance to get some rest. Work on the water change and you'll know how to move forward. Maybe this opens a door for your opportunity to move like you had been considering.

:( Yea. Onwards! Upwards! MOAR BETTA! Right?

On 9/5/2017 at 5:27 PM, kimberbee said:

Oh geeze... I hope everything turns around for you soon Kat!! :flower:

Thanks Kimber - reef life. 

• Like 5
On 9/7/2017 at 3:06 PM, metrokat said:

Sanjay Joshi and Marc Levenson both said I should not have rescued anybody. The rescue probably did more harm that the high alkalinity. The wrasse was trying to escape, the fish were in shock - I'm not sure how I could have known that leaving them in there would not kill them. I did find the royal gramma and the little goby the next day - alive and swimming in cold water no less.

Here's the scene from 2 am that night

36947412251_d8e496268e_c.jpg

36947419341_aea4c824a1_c.jpg

This is the next morning

36947405351_9d6260eb9d_c.jpg

36947399761_541805dc20_c.jpg

It is still a death party in the tank. Flesh is peeling off many SPS colonies, slimer, OP, red planet. Fish death toll is just the wrasse and I hope I am not speaking too soon - the Anthia has a large gash on one side and it is swollen. She's eating so hopefully will pull through. Found the other little goby so again the wrasse is the only confirmed death. Damsel is beat up and I'm watching that one and the anthias.

My inverts seems to have suffered - starfish, urchins, snails, limpets. Crabs seem to be fine. Both Oshimai are alive, emeralds also. Peppermint shrimps and Juu the pistol are alive also.

Tank water has that sickly sweet smell of SPS that's out of the water/dying.

I'm running a lot of carbon.

It's hazy because I just put in some coral snow but it isn't crystal clear to begin with

36947446171_a62cce2bd2_c.jpg

And what it was. Sigh.

36073319175_a58d6f44af_c.jpg

I'm really feeling quite numb TBH. Losing Bogi just tore me apart, this isn't any comparison. I am very sad but I feel all I want to do now is minimize the death and rebuild when things are stable.

I also decided I am going to move out of this apartment.

And get a new tank.

A new chapter perhaps. Or maybe just a time to heal.

:(:grouphug:

Hoping for better things ahead for you. 

• Like 2

The offer is there, you can NEVER have enough hands when moving a tank, even transferring stock tank to tank. Hell, you could come down when I get a shipment in and shop my boxes.

• Like 2

Just saw this this morning. It was like reading a horror novel - I didn't want to turn the page. Your attitude is outstanding and I'm with stinky - you need help moving, let me know!!!

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Just run two bulbs and not four. As your tank matures you can add the two down the road. Case solved. :D

I couldn't believe I saw @metrokat use the phrase "too much light for that tank" :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

So sorry to read about what happened.  The great thing about the red Sea reefers is the separate check chiller compartment.  My doser is taped to the shelf wall too but if it falls, it will not touch water at all.  And I have the Apex DOS so it's pretty heavy and only held on by velcro.  

With everything else going on, maybe it's good time to take a break, get everything in check with the new place, and start a new build.  Deep down we all know the most exciting part of this hobby is the initial build =P.  

No matter what tank you choose, it always turn into something everyone admires and secretly super jealous of.  Reef on!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Went to the shelter to get weighed to get medicine (roundworms - lovely)

Pooped from the visit. :rolleyes:

We may all have had a nap....

36985759122_94491acea2_c.jpg

Awwwww.....how do you get anything done with such cuteness x3 in the house???? :)

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Lawnman said:

Keeping or fostering? 

Not with this little guy. He's super cute but I fear he is rather sickly, so is Casper. The shelter tells me that this late in the season mom has already had at least one litter so this one is not as robust. Both Casper and Sylvester are skin and bones, they don't play much although Sylvester used to play a lot. They eat and sleep pretty much. I think they may have been weaned too easily as both Casper and Sylvester have digestion issues too.

If I am a failure, it will be Callie. She's a calico - she's really something. Hey @Mariaface - talk to us about Callie girl.

12 hours ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Gees, Kat, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. But if anyone can recover from this (other than Teeny), it's you.

That kitten is so cute! :wub:

Thanks, just hanging in there, letting the tank do its thing.

All the 3 kittens are adorable. And the shelter has so many, I get very sad every time I go.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, gena said:

Awwwww.....how do you get anything done with such cuteness x3 in the house???? :)

Truthfully the first week was difficult as I always feared they were drowning themselves in their water bowl or I was going to step on them. My apartment is small - basically 2 sections: the entryway with the powder room, the open kitchen which leads into the living room and balcony. And the master bedroom with master bath. Over time I let them into the living room but that was mostly because I "had to". Had a mutiny one night, Casper managed to jump over all the barricades I had and that was that. Little cannon ball. He's really a small rat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Were there only 3 in the litter?  Makes me sad that two of them are sickly :(.  Mine came from a litter of 5.  The man we got ours from had taken the 3 healthiest of the litter and left 2 with the mom at the shelter for more mama's milk time :).  How old were your 3 when you got them? 

I could go on for days about Callie! :wub:

She's fluffy and alert and curious and playful and likes snuggles! 10/10, would fail to foster, would recommend to a friend. :P 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, gena said:

Were there only 3 in the litter?  Makes me sad that two of them are sickly :(.  Mine came from a litter of 5.  The man we got ours from had taken the 3 healthiest of the litter and left 2 with the mom at the shelter for more mama's milk time :).  How old were your 3 when you got them? 

They said the litter was 6 - this is my first time fostering and I had asked for 2-3 kittens to foster. I don't have room for more. 

I hope the 2 runts recover their energy and stop being so needy all the time. 

2 hours ago, Boggers said:

If they have roundworms, you may have a bundle of energy that is going to hit when it starts clearing up and they get all the nutrients that they should be.

Medicine for 3 days and then we shall see. :)

• Like 2