ReefCleaners.org

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

Pipey McPipeface :lol::wub:

I'd like a pipe fish in my new frag tank. Need to do some research though.

When you're ready lemme know. The Dragonface pipefish eat redbugs, but they ship like crap. The Striped pipes ship MUCH better and they eat a lot better. This little female in M's fuge is already eating cyclops and reef plankton. I got the ova to give them a little variety.

• Like 2

Questions about water level, durso, overflow boxes and stuffs.

The water level is a little too low in the tank, I'd like to raise it about an inch and needed some input for safety and such.

The overflow sits 1 inch below the rim of the tank. I was considering gluing some black acrylic or ABS on the inside of the overflow to raise the water level in the display - does anyone forsee any problems with doing that? I may not be able to raise it a whole inch but it is something.

Second question - the durso inside the overflow - does that also have to be raised as much as I raise the water level?

I believe you can raise the level in the tank by modifying the height of the overflow teeth as you mentioned. I would try taping some acrylic on before you glue it in case you aren't happy with the level or performance.

You shouldn't need to adjust the durso as the level in the overflow compartment is not related to the level in the tank.

• Like 3

The water level is a little too low in the tank, I'd like to raise it about an inch and needed some input for safety and such.

The overflow sits 1 inch below the rim of the tank. I was considering gluing some black acrylic or ABS on the inside of the overflow to raise the water level in the display - does anyone forsee any problems with doing that? I may not be able to raise it a whole inch but it is something.

Second question - the durso inside the overflow - does that also have to be raised as much as I raise the water level?

Yes, you should raise the Durso as well if you don't wanna have the sound of trickling water.

• Like 2

just raise the durso till you get the level you want. No need to glue stuff to the overflow.
  • Like 2

Worked some more on trying to get my SPS in this tank. The top shelf is very shallow, most of them stick out by an inch.

Have to re-think the top shelf being a SPS shelf.

32448046272_c434c41028_b.jpg

I went shopping today, for some fishypoos. 2 Hifin gobies which are very little. Juu did not like them and snapped them out of his burrow :angry: . And I got a matted filefish which is a FASCINATING creature! I have the filefish in the holding tank with aiptasia rock suspects. Springers didn't care for it. Tomorrow I move the Katropora and other corals and my gyre. Then I guess I might move the aiptasia suspect rocks to the now empty 10G with the filefish and empty out the 40.

32221885680_f8b5ece37e_b.jpg

I'll mail your bits out tomorrow since I was a simple bastard and forgot them today, FML!!

No worries!

• Like 8

So now I need to order some matted filefish. Damn it woman, you don't care how you spend my money, lol. :D I texted Jr that I thought the PBT was a gonner. Just went back there and he and the damn Convict are mowing through the red algae on the bottom of the tank, lol. 30 mins after the Purples were out of the bag they were picking the algae. I LOVE Purple tangs.

• Like 1

LOVE my radial Filefish, but not an aptasia eater. Great watching them cruise around.

I will have to give this guy back after he's done with the pests. So I might trade for the ORA filefish - they are just fascinating fish! I had no idea.

So now I need to order some matted filefish. Damn it woman, you don't care how you spend my money, lol. :D I texted Jr that I thought the PBT was a gonner. Just went back there and he and the damn Convict are mowing through the red algae on the bottom of the tank, lol. 30 mins after the Purples were out of the bag they were picking the algae. I LOVE Purple tangs.

They come in hungry!

Oh and this guy was just chillin' in a decoration at the fish store. He was all like 'sup Kat, how you doin'

I love Midas Blennies :wub:

They had molly miller blennies too - such characters. But Ross at HOS told me don't touch 'em with a 10 foot pole, they will eat the clam and other corals too. So.

32448055312_c3821c088b_b.jpg

Looking great Kat, should be a fun build. Bummer about the SPS not fitting up top, but I'm sure with some nifty tonga branch or other rock work you could get some really interesting over the edge suspended colonies. :naughtydance:

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I will have to give this guy back after he's done with the pests. So I might trade for the ORA filefish - they are just fascinating fish! I had no idea.

They come in hungry!

Oh and this guy was just chillin' in a decoration at the fish store. He was all like 'sup Kat, how you doin'

I love Midas Blennies :wub:

They had molly miller blennies too - such characters. But Ross at HOS told me don't touch 'em with a 10 foot pole, they will eat the clam and other corals too. So.

32448055312_c3821c088b_b.jpg

I love little gobies and blennies! Dawn gave me hers when she broke down her 36- there is one who does all of these weird poses. He's my yoga goby.

• Like 1

I have never run BP and don't intend to. Carbon yes, and I have been running GFO passively in the form of Brightwell XPORT PO4 cubes. They sit in a media bag in the sump. I'll have one reactor - for carbon.

:wub:

Lurker with a question. How do you like the brightwell cubes?

• Like 1

You think if I bug NYFishies on the forum about ADA Aquasoil they'll respond? Or should I text? :P

I may have ordered a Nuvo 20 Black to replace the standard petco 10g...

• Like 1

You think if I bug NYFishies on the forum about ADA Aquasoil they'll respond? Or should I text? :P

I may have ordered a Nuvo 20 Black to replace the standard petco 10g...

Are you starting a FW tank, Maria? ADA is a really good substrate - I've used it for my rainbow and stewartii snakehead tanks with quite good results. The plants were flourishing, for starters.

And Kat, I love your new drop-off build. I remember asking my LFS once if he could do drop-offs and he was vehement that they're not good for reef tanks. But I've seen a few successful drop-off reefs now - will be watching this thread closely from now onwards.

P.S. The filefish is adorable. :happy:

• Like 1

Are you starting a FW tank, Maria? ADA is a really good substrate - I've used it for my rainbow and stewartii snakehead tanks with quite good results. The plants were flourishing, for starters.

More like rebooting?

I have a standard 10gal from petco with tetras and a couple of corydoras (eco complete substrate, finnex planted lights, AC70, neotherm 75W), but I noticed the silicone beginning to bubble/lift.

During the transition while the IM 20 cycles (I hear aqua soil will make plenty of ammonia for the bacteria initially), I'm taking down the shrimp tank so I can at least use the lights, AC 20, and cobalt neotherm 50 to get the tank cycled and ready. Once the parameters line up and are safe for neocaridina shrimp, I'll transfer the inhabitants over with the AC70, lights, heater.

NYFishies happens to have some bags of aquasoil lying around, apparently :) I'm thinking I'll also get BorneoWild Balance and Minerax, sprinkle those on the bottom pane of glass with my BacterAE, get the soil in, and get started!

• Like 2

More like rebooting?

I have a standard 10gal from petco with tetras and a couple of corydoras (eco complete substrate, finnex planted lights, AC70, neotherm 75W), but I noticed the silicone beginning to bubble/lift.

During the transition while the IM 20 cycles (I hear aqua soil will make plenty of ammonia for the bacteria initially), I'm taking down the shrimp tank so I can at least use the lights, AC 20, and cobalt neotherm 50 to get the tank cycled and ready. Once the parameters line up and are safe for neocaridina shrimp, I'll transfer the inhabitants over with the AC70, lights, heater.

NYFishies happens to have some bags of aquasoil lying around, apparently :) I'm thinking I'll also get BorneoWild Balance and Minerax, sprinkle those on the bottom pane of glass with my BacterAE, get the soil in, and get started!

Ah, I would love to see it - I'm a sucker for FW nanos. And yes, ADA creates the mother of all ammonia spikes when you first add it in. The cycles can be long and hard. And wow, what sort of Neocardinia species do you keep, if I might ask?

I only have a lone Malayan Bamboo shrimp in my community tank - thinking of moving him to his own premier 'quarters' once I get my nano reef mishaps sorted out.

(Sorry for threadjacking, Kat - but I love FW shrimps! :wub: )

• Like 1

Hope you're not keeping that filefish in your tank for long. They're definitely not reef safe, including the ORA ones.

You mean in terms of them eating zoas? Yes I know that - but the new filefish they bred aren't known to eat zoas. I haven't heard.

Looking great Kat, should be a fun build. Bummer about the SPS not fitting up top, but I'm sure with some nifty tonga branch or other rock work you could get some really interesting over the edge suspended colonies. :naughtydance:

Thanks Shaun. That is the plan although this tank has so far not co-operated with plans. :)

I love little gobies and blennies! Dawn gave me hers when she broke down her 36- there is one who does all of these weird poses. He's my yoga goby.

:wub: yoga goby :lol:

• Like 1