Pod Your Reef

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

Easier to put in baffles than to build an entire sump. :P

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/330608-cadlights-47g-starfire-battlecorals/?p=4451859

You! You are awesome sauce.

So more sand arrived and after the water was crystal clear for a few days it is now murky with sand bunnies again. Threw in some flocculant and the skimmer should work well as well as settle the sediment in a day or so. Ammonia has been clear according to the badge but that doesn't mean it is clear. The system is certainly not dirty enough for my corals so I'll be adding the fish first - they need ot be let out of the cage anyway. However I am really not sure if the cycle is complete.

I have been ghost feeding the new tank but that doesn't give me any comfort. I'll throw on the canister on the tank once the corals move over but even that doesn't help ease my worry.

is that tonights suppa? looking good.

hehe. No I'm out for dinner and a movie with a buddy today.

• Like 2

I have been ghost feeding the new tank but that doesn't give me any comfort.

I'm a fan of testing for ammonia and forcing it to go up. Have you seen the ammonia badge go above 'safe' at any point? Because I'd ghost feed (or add ammonia and prime) until I see it get higher, then watch for how quickly it goes down again.

...Then do it over at a higher level until I'm satisfied it can process enough in a quick enough time frame.

Speaking of cart, you can cut your teeth on something very easy to get you started. This cart was made using 2x4s cut by HD and took very little to get it to completion. I keep it in the office to hold my salt bucket and sit on top of it to view my tank (easy to roll around w/some wheels on the bottom; furniture sliders instead if it's going on hardwood flooring).

Killing me! :angry:

(But also thanks! Maybe I can make myself a 'chair' for the desk I never sit at and hide a salt bucket!

• Like 2

I'm a fan of testing for ammonia and forcing it to go up. Have you seen the ammonia badge go above 'safe' at any point? Because I'd ghost feed (or add ammonia and prime) until I see it get higher, then watch for how quickly it goes down again.

...Then do it over at a higher level until I'm satisfied it can process enough in a quick enough time frame.

It was on alert for a good 3 days and it is safe again for the last 2 or so. I don't have ammonia and haven't left my pajamas long enough to go get any. I'm in the city tonight for dinner but not sure where around PABT to get ammonia.

(But also thanks! Maybe I can make myself a 'chair' for the desk I never sit at and hide a salt bucket!

Maria Maria Maria. Handy salt stools.

09533ff28da5ac4c8534eb464a881727.jpg

Or incase you wanted to be more festive

e19342600ea4c463b1cf08e8a77cf8e5.jpg

• Like 5

Well it looks like slow and steady have been working well so far. Move over some/all fish, wait a week and then move over zoa island and easier corals. Then continue few pieces at a time as long as both tanks look to be running smoothly.

• Like 3

Mind. Blown.

Also I'm liking the idea of a slow and steady approach. Keep ghost feeding, add enough fish to match that feeding regime, start feeding more, add another fish. Feed more, add another fish. Etc :)

• Like 1

What movie are you guys seeing?

Some pet movie. I told him I'd bring tissues for him.

Mind. Blown.

Also I'm liking the idea of a slow and steady approach. Keep ghost feeding, add enough fish to match that feeding regime, start feeding more, add another fish. Feed more, add another fish. Etc :)

I would feel more comfortable doing any of that/all of that if I knew the proper ammonia handling situation.

Baffles arrived. I'm trying to figure out how to hold to install them

The old sump had a 6 inch wide return chamber and it was generous, the pump had room on the sides. Since I have the same pump I think keeping it at the 6 inches is fine.

How to hold the baffles in place and straight while the silicone dries? No I don't have clamps.

When I build sumps I do it with the tank standing on end and I have 2x6's that I use on both sides of the baffle, a piece of 3/4" plywood in between for the bubble trap.

M and I wanna see The Secret Life Of Pets. The last movie we saw was Madagascar because it was free. :D Yea yea, I'm a cheap bastard. :D

Gonna do Philippines, Red Sea and Sri Lanka this week. Africa and Bali Prop next week if you need anything.

• Like 2

A dogs Life yep should be tear jerker. I don't want no part in seeing that movie my Dane is going to be 11 this year hopefully.

A Dog's Purpose. It was really nicely made. I hate movies where the pet suffers inhumane treatment so this wasn't one of those. I saw a FB video someone posted months ago - I just couldn't sleep for a few days it was so horrible, some guy beat his dog on camera, I don't know if the poor dog lived or died but death would have been a better option compared that suffering I saw for just the briefest of moments. That bastard - I hope he dies a horrible death for what he put that poor defenseless animal through.

• Like 4

Anyone that abuses an animal, child or another person should be taken to a deserted island, have the ever loving shit beaten out of them and left there to die a slow painful death. I have a zero tolerance policy for this. Those that deal with it on a regular basis are better people than me because I'm afraid I'd have to beat them to where they couldn't do it ever again, death is too easy.

• Like 2

I sold you on baffles? sweet! :)

ive been looking for ones like that for a while, i saw other ones that where very expensive, so yes you sold me on baffles, and a pointer i saw on melevs

• Like 2

ive been looking for ones like that for a while, i saw other ones that where very expensive, so yes you sold me on baffles, and a pointer i saw on melevs

Yay. Tell him Kat sent you, mebbe he will send me more kisses :D

• Like 1

Ta-Da! Sloppy silicone job but hey my first DIY baffle sump.

32291275901_3da64b192d_b.jpg

Version 3. The aquabus cable would not quite fit in the side to side mounted apex modules so I had to put them this way to make it happen.

32261195532_bf56acbb39_b.jpg

In more Apex news, the brother came over and helped me find and talk to my Apex. :wub:

Now I have to get another ethernet cable to be hardwired to do a firmware upgrade.

Talk about time suck transactions. I have an ottoman which I like but for some reason the legs on it all have paint chipping off. I wrote the company and they sent out replacements. Well the replacements were all chipped and also considerably short. WTF.

32291280291_4f3a89d876_b.jpg[/url]

Had to put one of the Springers damsels in the coral holding tank. He was being bullied by mama clown and was cowering behind the ammonia badge, squished against the glass. He was also dark navy almost black in color (he's a brilliant blue fish) and had a spot which may or may not have been ich or a bite. I caught him and threw him in the coral tank, he's out and about - back to being brilliantly blue - like a jewel really, lovely color.

*Makes note* Kisses for Kat.... Dark or milk chocolate?

:wub: dark please

• Like 5
jedimasterben

Yeah, you did the baffles backwards lol

Er, upside down? rightside up? something. For three baffles, it's under over under, as the last baffle before the return pump should be an under. They're also super close together, a bit close for a good bubble trap.

• Like 1

Yeah, you did the baffles backwards lol

Er, upside down? rightside up? something. For three baffles, it's under over under, as the last baffle before the return pump should be an under. They're also super close together, a bit close for a good bubble trap.

Nope. I did it right

modelF-example.jpg

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I wouldn't call it right, it's just the way that it is done sometimes. IMHO, the correct way is to have the last baffle be 'under'. This is to prevent water from falling into the last chamber (because there will be at least a slight water height difference) and creating bubbles, in addition to the issues brought up on this page about sump design: http://gmacreef.com/reef-aquarium-sump-tank-design/

• Like 4

I wouldn't call it right, it's just the way that it is done sometimes. IMHO, the correct way is to have the last baffle be 'under'. This is to prevent water from falling into the last chamber (because there will be at least a slight water height difference) and creating bubbles, in addition to the issues brought up on this page about sump design: http://gmacreef.com/reef-aquarium-sump-tank-design/

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzkill :lol: tells it like it is..............

• Like 3