Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

The light just got hung from the ceiling! omgomgomg

32442697346_7811777483_h.jpg

We ran into some installation issues, I'm not even sure how he managed to do it but it's done. Now it is time to move the corals but I don't think the tank is ready so that is causing me a little anxiety. Okay a lot of anxiety. The skimmer isn't pulling dark crud yet which means my water is not dirty enough. I think I will move some crabs and shrimps and fish over today though.

Hi there, So the idea is not to see the sand line at all. No straight sand line, no wavy. Nada.

I have dongs and such that will work for the outcroppings, but I don't want to illuminate the fact that it is a wall - or maybe I should. I'm not sure. There is no comparison to gulf live rock and marco. Marco is dry rock, gulf live is uncured with hitchhikers. You can specify to Dan that you want nano sized or flat pieces or boulders and he does his best to accommodate requests. The rocks themselves aren't made with any molds so they are all unique pieces. You can get HH that are unwanted - i see 2 aiptasia right now and given my recent bout with aiptasia I may pull those rocks or something. remains to be seen.

Getting exciting... Dirty tanks are the best :) the corals seem to love it so much more.

• Like 2

Very 1980. No.

The RSM has a black back wall, the CAD did not. I'm back to having the black and also determined to have an abyss.

Do a sketch Groot, even if it is a squiggle on paper like I did, let's see what you're envisioning, I like the idea a lot already.

Conundrums and possibilities. We knew this tank was going to be a challenge. I'm up for it, but I like to think things through, or at least have a semblance of a plan before I start. I gots nuttin' this time :D - this might be as off-the-cuff as I can manage. ha.

Ill try. Ill use my daughters color pencils.

• Like 2

Check TMZ for a video about the dogs doing stunts in this movie.....not good. :(

I did. Yeah that put a different spin on things. Although I will say that while the dog was scared to do that scene, there was also every precaution in place for his safety. It still did NOT make it right and I didn't like it one bit, I think the scene could have been in less turbulent water.

Ill try. Ill use my daughters color pencils.

:wub:

Getting exciting... Dirty tanks are the best :) the corals seem to love it so much more.

This ^^

• Like 1

I think it'd awesome to do something similar to this with your scape. Have SPS and Zoas up top hanging over the edge and on the bottom have lps such as an elagance, scolys and other brains. Here's an example.

post-93108-0-84382900-1485203828_thumb.png

• Like 2

Sand and rocks.. that's a good start :).. now imma sit back and watch you rearrange it an umpteen zillion times into another masterpiece.

This ^^^

Kat, I am so excited to see this progress!!!

P.s. did you get my message(s) on fb?

You sneak!! :D

I think it'd awesome to do something similar to this with your scape. Have SPS and Zoas up top hanging over the edge and on the bottom have lps such as an elagance, scolys and other brains. Here's an example.

attachicon.gifIMG_4095.PNG

You're right about the coral placement - however that isn't my issue - the aquascape design is in the thinking phase. I already have all the corals to go in the tank, I'm going to start trying to place corals soon. Maybe tonight, not sure.... :ninja:

So the idea is not to see the sand line at all. No straight sand line, no wavy. Nada.

I got ya. A flat sandbed up top with no visual ques that it exists while looking straight on.

I wonder how it would look if you took a larger piece of rock and notched out the back so you could hang it over the ledge, not necessarily creating a rock wall, but having a rock structure that starts off on the ledge and spills over, maybe all the way to the sandbed to an outcropping, or even stops short of the sandbed.

I have dongs and such that will work for the outcroppings

Ummmm....... I'm assuming this isn't what it sounds like and that it has something to do with liverock, maybe Tonga branches?

There is no comparison to gulf live rock and marco. Marco is dry rock, gulf live is uncured with hitchhikers.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I meant how is the texture of the rock in comparison, if you know. I like for there to be consistency in the appearance instead of mixing porous, gnarly rock with super dense featureless stuff.

I was thinking of using Marco as base rock and seed it with Gulf Rock. Hopefully save some of the cost and some of the trouble of sorting through the live rock trying to eliminate pests and dead organisms. I also think it is easier/more cost effective to buy a little more dry rock than needed to build the layout I have in mind and seed it with some live rock, than to order what I think I need and try to make it work with what I end up with.

• Like 2

So for this tank are you really not running carbon, GFO, or biopellets? You've got me reconsidering everything now....

I have never run BP and don't intend to. Carbon yes, and I have been running GFO passively in the form of Brightwell XPORT PO4 cubes. They sit in a media bag in the sump. I'll have one reactor - for carbon.

Not affended if no likes here no worries.

:wub:

I know it looks more like plants but I hope you get the picture of the acro tight together. It would even look nice if the area of the tabling acro went as high to your beginning of the second level of the branching acro.

• Like 1

Looking good!! So where is the pegboard with the electronics? Ha it under the tank in the stand next to the sump? I'm struggling with where to put mine and thought that was a great idea with the peg board.

• Like 1

I know it looks more like plants but I hope you get the picture of the acro tight together. It would even look nice if the area of the tabling acro went as high to your beginning of the second level of the branching acro.

It looks good and I see what you mean. The top does have acros planned, but the tabling acro below will need the same amount of light and will just take up room in the sand, it needs to be higher as well.

Looking good!! So where is the pegboard with the electronics? Ha it under the tank in the stand next to the sump? I'm struggling with where to put mine and thought that was a great idea with the peg board.

Thanks. This was the final version. The cabinet itself is a closet maid.

32261195532_14e8fd18ab_h.jpg

Wish I could keep my sump area that clean looking.

What Benny said! It's far too clean I am afraid.

• Like 2