Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

Kat, can you take a pic straight on looking into the tank from the front? I want to see what that cascading looks like from the front as well as how your scape is looking in situ.

I have the golden ratio tape on it.

I suppose I could remove the tape....

-_-

• Like 1

Im not judging, but shouldnt height restrictions have been taken into consideration before the tank was purchased? *runs and hides

Tank was a Christmas gift, beat me. And the measurements I got was the whole tank dims as you can imagine - not from the water line. Also, if I was starting with frags I would not have the issue. I'd lay out rocks and glue frags and let them do their thing.

Ok if it was a gift you're forgiven. I guess im just not sold on the whole drop off look though. I liked the old tank.☺

Im sure youll make this one awesome

I know but a challenge only helps me grow as an aquarist. Here lies Kat, she knew how to scape a bad-ass drop off. :rolleyes:

• Like 7

I hear you about challenging yourself for growth. Im looking at a challenge myself. Picked up a new tank and stand for next to nothing ($20) because it had difficult dimensions but I wanted the challenge. I think I have figured it out now after looking at it since summertime. Tank measures 48x10x20. Now the hardest part will be to convince the wife to let me put it up at home...lol

• Like 1

Kat, I think the cascading look (similar to how the tank looks right this moment) has the potential to be both unique and amazing. I'm gonna whip up some mock pictures and show you what I have in mind

• Like 1

I'm not a veteran on this forum, but you threw me some help on the xport stuff, so I just pulled up an app i use to mock out furniture that I build on the side and jotted something real quick. I don't know if you would be interested in this or not. If not, toss it.

Somewhere earlier on someone suggested slicing rock, which could give a really neat look if done right. So I imagine that someone with a good bandsaw could slice a piece of live rock easily--much like someone would slice a cake horizontally to halve it in order to add the iciing layer, or like cutting cutlets from a piece of chicken. If you do this, you could have a relatively thin layer of rock that could cover 90% of the top shelf floor, leaving small puddles for sand, and you could have the rock overhang a bit. Then I might add some more sliced rock, thin again to the drop off wall, not entirely, but the blank space/pockets could give the appearance of caves. Then you could stack rock in the corners to cascade the sticks.

FWIW~

post-89740-0-75314800-1485832661_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Kat how did the LR you got from Gulf Live Rock fair after the cold shipping? I'm thinking about ordering a box this week for a fresh build and am in Michigan so the weather is all over the place

Kat how did the LR you got from Gulf Live Rock fair after the cold shipping? I'm thinking about ordering a box this week for a fresh build and am in Michigan so the weather is all over the place

My shipment came in with a heat pack, and I'm a goober who paid for overnight shipping... :blush: So much life.

• Like 3

My shipment came in with a heat pack, and I'm a goober who paid for overnight shipping... :blush: So much life.

Hmm maybe I'll check and see what overnight would be. I've always wanted to order rock from the Gulf but always went with what I could source locally. Well now the only LFS that does saltwater wants $10 a pound for your typical Fiji Tonga type stuff and that's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

I'm not a veteran on this forum, but you threw me some help on the xport stuff, so I just pulled up an app i use to mock out furniture that I build on the side and jotted something real quick. I don't know if you would be interested in this or not. If not, toss it.

Somewhere earlier on someone suggested slicing rock, which could give a really neat look if done right. So I imagine that someone with a good bandsaw could slice a piece of live rock easily--much like someone would slice a cake horizontally to halve it in order to add the iciing layer, or like cutting cutlets from a piece of chicken. If you do this, you could have a relatively thin layer of rock that could cover 90% of the top shelf floor, leaving small puddles for sand, and you could have the rock overhang a bit. Then I might add some more sliced rock, thin again to the drop off wall, not entirely, but the blank space/pockets could give the appearance of caves. Then you could stack rock in the corners to cascade the sticks.

FWIW~

:wub: This looks amazeballs

Here we go!

That is pretty much how the tank is right now too.

Frag it out and start fresh?

3-4-5 year old colonies? Nope.

I had my head in the sand and ordered priority shipping instead of express. There was die off but it helped with the cycle in the new tank so it's all good. I threw in some pieces in the holding tank and those did fine also.

If you need more rock to re- start the tank I have some I can spare.

Hmm maybe I'll check and see what overnight would be. I've always wanted to order rock from the Gulf but always went with what I could source locally. Well now the only LFS that does saltwater wants $10 a pound for your typical Fiji Tonga type stuff and that's not gonna happen.

Doesn't the post office have a flat rate express box? That would be like $35 to ship I think.

• Like 1

If you need more rock to re- start the tank I have some I can spare.

Thanks!! I think I should be okay for now, since (last night when I checked) a bunch of things are still going. Batman's still good, btw! As are the hitchhiking limpets! Also the hammer, the green plate, the iron man, zoas, etc. I just need to worry about doing more water changes this week and next week to bring alk down, keeping the skimmer and fresh carbon going to remove organics from what did die, etc. Green cyano's taking advantage of the situation, but I think I can turn it around.

And I also plan to move the tank up (where I won't neglect it) the weekend after next. This weekend, I'm at the best friend's place Saturday, then NYFishies' for aqua soil and plant buying Sunday midday. I should have the freshwater set up (with photos?!) by EOD Sunday..

• Like 1

Trying to find CBD medicine for my cat is proving more difficult than I thought. You could get Hemp based CBD medicine online, and it is legal to buy and ship to all 50 states. But I just got this message from a company I was looking to buy from:

"Due to the current DEA classification of CBD as a Schedule 1 drug, we have decided to suspend the selling of our CBD Pet products"

Trying to find CBD medicine for my cat is proving more difficult than I thought. You could get Hemp based CBD medicine online, and it is legal to buy and ship to all 50 states. But I just got this message from a company I was looking to buy from:

"Due to the current DEA classification of CBD as a Schedule 1 drug, we have decided to suspend the selling of our CBD Pet products"

And isn't it weird that the DEA doesn't technically have the authority to make something illegal, they can only enforce the laws already in place? :huh:

I hope you're able to find some, though!

• Like 1

I'm going to continue being silent over here because I have no idea how to tackle this scape. You're a braver person than I am Kat, and it looks like some promising stuff is being suggested.

• Like 2