inTank Media Baskets

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

The electrical cabinet needs more work. Sigh. Now the plugs that go into the DJ strips don't fit, so going to turn that board clockwise so that the outlets face the top and bottom instead of to the sides- the cords and plugs will have more room that way. Wish I had a jigsaw. Ikea has a jig saw

I just ordered one off Amazon for around $25. Of course the plan I had for it isn't going to work with my DJ strip now but that's irrelevant.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Christ, I sell FRESH, I mean like it was in Indo Saturday fresh rock for that + domestic shipping. Find out if it's real Fiji air freighted rock or boat rock, I got $100 says it's boat rock that he's tanked.

This. Fish stores do NOT sell live rock.

Haha I'm opposite. I love ReefCleaners, the one piece of dry rock I've tried came with aptasia. Sure live rock brings in bacteria, but that can be seeded easily rather than risking it all with pests.

Live rock is far from just bacteria. If that were the case, then it would not look any different than dry rock.

• Like 2

Got my electricals fixed and are online. Dosers need to come on line later today - have to mix up some 2 part first.

So here is the cabinet so far. You can see the ATO container is a perfect fit inside and to the right. However pulling it out is not possible unless I pull it up and out - so refilling is not easy when it is there. Debating if I should put it in the front of the sump - I guess that would be fine.

31808312914_3ebc7f44ff_b.jpg

• Like 8

Got my electricals fixed and are online. Dosers need to come on line later today - have to mix up some 2 part first.

So here is the cabinet so far. You can see the ATO container is a perfect fit inside and to the right. However pulling it out is not possible unless I pull it up and out - so refilling is not easy when it is there. Debating if I should put it in the front of the sump - I guess that would be fine.

31808312914_3ebc7f44ff_b.jpg

Just use a pump and a hose to fill it. Or a watering can.

• Like 1

Just use a little powerhead to pump the RODI into the topoff reservoir to fill it. (Assuming your RODI is in a portable 5g bucket.)

You could even siphon / gravity feed the hose if you have an easy way to elevate the bucket and possibly put a spout on it.

EDIT: looks like zoohed beat me to the punch :D

• Like 2

Just use a pump and a hose to fill it. Or a watering can.

Just use a little powerhead to pump the RODI into the topoff reservoir to fill it. (Assuming your RODI is in a portable 5g bucket.)

You could even siphon / gravity feed the hose if you have an easy way to elevate the bucket and possibly put a spout on it.

EDIT: looks like zoohed beat me to the punch :D

Y'all convinced me. :)

• Like 2

Thinking of ways to make this work. With the top being SO shallow you almost have to reverse the norm. Run more encrusting, zoas, paly's on top and the SPS section on the bottom.

-Dave

• Like 2

Doesn't the dropoff have to be covered in rock to look good? Not a lot fo space so maybe just small pieces of rock glue to something that is attached to the dropoff?

I like this look as far as dropoffs are concerned.

aquarium6.jpg

from: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121728

Probably the only nice dropoff tank I have seen before. Looking forward to seeing what rehype and kat do with theirs, but that is definitely the tank to beat.

• Like 2

The top part is shallow but i still think you can put SPS that arent stags up there. Get 1 sided cuts from marco rocks and relocate what you can to the new rock. Big plating montis would be cool too though.

Doesn't the dropoff have to be covered in rock to look good? Not a lot fo space so maybe just small pieces of rock glue to something that is attached to the dropoff?

I like this look as far as dropoffs are concerned.

aquarium6.jpg

from: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121728

My tank looks like that from the side too. Here you go:

31809527454_953d6e674c_b.jpg

All the drop-off tanks out there are peninsulas, they face the side.

My tank is very first front-facing drop-off. To my knowledge this is the first of its kind.

That means these side view ideas will not work. (Although I would like to see what that lush tank looks like from the short pane glass view - the OP doesn't link to that tank)

• Like 1

My tank is very first front-facing drop-off. To my knowledge this is the first of its kind.

That means these side view ideas will not work. (Although I would like to see what that lush tank looks like from the short pane glass view - the OP doesn't link to that tank)

I like that all the fish are right there... do they follow you around? :lol:

• Like 1

The top part is shallow but i still think you can put SPS that arent stags up there. Get 1 sided cuts from marco rocks and relocate what you can to the new rock. Big plating montis would be cool too though.

Yes, I have SPS on there now.

I like that all the fish are right there... do they follow you around? :lol:

puppies! :wub:

These hi-fin gobies are so cute. Wish they would co-habit the same burrow though.

31809649734_b058a01af0_b.jpg

32652548365_f0fa5c52c6_b.jpg

• Like 9

But I can see the glass, what is the 'reality' look that you are going for? I could be missing it so don;t worry about telling me like it is. :D Right now I see a dropoff tank, not a reef dropoff. If I couldn't see any of the glass I might be convinced it's an actual dropoff. Make sense?

Haha I'm opposite. I love ReefCleaners, the one piece of dry rock I've tried came with aptasia. Sure live rock brings in bacteria, but that can be seeded easily rather than risking it all with pests.

You can have all that dry rock, boat rock and the like, I'm done with it. Fresh rock = instant reef tank.

The electrical cabinet needs more work. Sigh. Now the plugs that go into the DJ strips don't fit, so going to turn that board clockwise so that the outlets face the top and bottom instead of to the sides- the cords and plugs will have more room that way. Wish I had a jigsaw. Ikea has a jig saw

You'd get more use out of an oscillating tool Kat. WAY more versatile.

Did you get a Tiger or Randall's pistol shrimp for the Antenna gobies? If you didn't, I have a bunch of Tigers here from itty bitty to King Kong size, lol.

• Like 1

But I can see the glass, what is the 'reality' look that you are going for? I could be missing it so don;t worry about telling me like it is. :D Right now I see a dropoff tank, not a reef dropoff. If I couldn't see any of the glass I might be convinced it's an actual dropoff. Make sense?

Two things. First: The reef tank you referenced is a mature tank that has grown in. While I have mature colonies, they are yet to fill in (new shape and all) to take up a similar amount of space. So you will see glass till that happens. IF (big if) I let it happen - because I try (very hard) to follow the less is more guideline. I fail oftentimes, but I still try.

Second: I'm not planning on having every inch of the drop-off covered with rock or corals. The sketch that NolaBear did for me is a starting point of how I want it to look. The black parts should look like an abyss. Now, I could change my mind about that - I was chatting with Bob Fenner on what natural drop-off look like in the oceans:

Bob, do you see natural drop-offs in the ocean like the new tanks we are using in the hobby? If so, how do corals grow on that landscape?
1393828_681850671832618_840981475_n.jpg?
Bob Fenner Mmm; yes... most all reaching sun-ward... on more gradual slopes mounded, plating et al., more vertical more table, plate-like in overall shape.

So what I think that means is "have at it Kat" - whatever you want, the reefs somewhere in nature do exactly that.

• Like 3

Pics from the front plz

Uploading a video. But in the meantime. The right side.

32501428292_142b85f63a_b.jpg

And the FTS - corals are just places wherever I had room. The right side is where I am starting to scape.

32275116990_735db8d903_b.jpg

Both of these tanks are three sided view, yes? Which side is prominent is up to the designer of the scape IMO.

I guess so. But see, all regular drop off tanks have the wide view from the side (which is considered the front of the tank). Mine is a full frontal view like a regular tank would be.

You can have all that dry rock, boat rock and the like, I'm done with it. Fresh rock = instant reef tank.

You'd get more use out of an oscillating tool Kat. WAY more versatile.

Did you get a Tiger or Randall's pistol shrimp for the Antenna gobies? If you didn't, I have a bunch of Tigers here from itty bitty to King Kong size, lol.

I had a candy cane pistol, who I have not found yet :(

I put these guys in with Juu the japanese pistol but he didn't care for them :(

Juu is very big so having another shrimp is not a good idea unless I put these gobies on the top shelf.

• Like 7

That right side looks awesome. I think you know exactly where you want to go it's just going to take some finessing.
  • Like 2

I like the right side cascade. Great color variation. This will look amazing when/if you let it fill in a bit.

She said "full frontal"

I get it. Probably should keep my comments to myself. Just not diggin it. To each his own.

no worries, it's all good

I like the right side cascade. Great color variation. This will look amazing when/if you let it fill in a bit.

Thanks. More to be done, yes it will be full.

• Like 1