SaltCritters.com

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

32427873010_819ef0496e_h.jpg

My anthias are ordered with POTO :)

The gobies are in separate burrows and they are so thin, it's a wonder how they have lived this long.

The scape is coming together a little more each time. Today I added 3 pieces of the uncured rock to the very back left side. The Slimer is resting on top of one of the rocks so I get a bit of height too.

Got an automated message that my custom lid is being processed now, I think that means I am maybe 2 weeks away from getting it. At least, I hope so.

Came in to see the new scape kitty.....

What is the Sultan of Salt up to?

• Like 5

That's gonna be a happy clam :P

I hope so - I tweezed off more of those death palys and I think the shell is clean now. The underside where the foot is, was strange, I hope that doesn't mean anything significant.

It's disgusting how awesome this tank already looks!

:blush

:)

Hmm.. Mine detached when its shell and hammock were covered in the annoying algae. I was removing the algae and noticed it actually slid. Now that it's clean and unbothered again, it's latched back on. Maybe the palys were annoying it?

Hmm.. Mine detached when its shell and hammock were covered in the annoying algae. I was removing the algae and noticed it actually slid. Now that it's clean and unbothered again, it's latched back on. Maybe the palys were annoying it?

quite possible

My anthias are ordered with POTO :)

The gobies are in separate burrows and they are so thin, it's a wonder how they have lived this long.

The scape is coming together a little more each time. Today I added 3 pieces of the uncured rock to the very back left side. The Slimer is resting on top of one of the rocks so I get a bit of height too.

Got an automated message that my custom lid is being processed now, I think that means I am maybe 2 weeks away from getting it. At least, I hope so.

What is the Sultan of Salt up to?

This looks awesome! Which anthias did you end up ordering?

• Like 1

Your tank is looking all sorts of cool. B) I keep imagining how some sort of overhanging piece would look in the center. Like a cliff/drop off.

Thanks. Not in the center - off center. And the overhang already is in place on the sides, still tweaking and such. The clam in the middle has to move too. It can't be totally symmetrical.

This looks awesome! Which anthias did you end up ordering?

Thanks. The same as the one lonesome I still have - lyretails.

I love yellow fish so I think between the tang, foxface, anthias, clown, and wrasse, I have a lot of yellows and oranges going on. The damsels are blue and a lovely blue at that - I would like a red fish - especially a Flame angelfish but they are nippers. So I might have to go for a fairy wrasse or two that is red.

I hope that when I put the 2nd springers damsel back in the tank, the other springers will leave it alone. Going to do the transfer at night to give it a chance to hide.

• Like 2

Thanks. Not in the center - off center. And the overhang already is in place on the sides, still tweaking and such. The clam in the middle has to move too. It can't be totally symmetrical.

My mistake! I forgot about the golden ratio!

Looking great so jealous! Is the bottom too low for the clam? I think it would look nice in the bottom center paired with another.

Thanks. I'll eventually check PAR to see what the sandbed gets but I'm almost certain it will be too low. Oreo used to be at the very top of the old tank, next to the Katropora.

• Like 1

In 35+ years I've never seen a Flameback or Coral Beauty nip, your sponges will catch bloody hell. A Flame, Bicolour, Vroliki, Eibli, Rusty or Lemonpeel will mow through shit like a fat man at an all-u-can-eat buffet. I have an Indian Ocean Emporer in the SPS run and she just cruises around looking for algae and sponges. Another one that's not reef safe is frickin' Lamarcks, they LOVE LPS corals, miserable little shits.

All angels are nippers tho :(

Have you ever seen "Diesel" tank on R2R? He lives in Houston and has probably one of the best acro tanks I've seen. Last time I was over at his house, he had a bandit angel, flame angel, and two swallowtail angels.

According him, they all nipped, but it did not stop his acros from growing.

Conversely, you could argue that he has a 202 gallon tank and alot more acros to spread the abuse.

• Like 3

It looks really nice, Kat. It's so cool to have all those mature colonies so you can have an instant reef in the new tank. Aside from the hours and hours of work to make it happen, of course. :D

I'm glad you said you were moving the clam, having it in the exact center was the only thing the really jumped out at me as being out of place.

• Like 1

The scape dose look good but I still don't understand the look of the shelf above the black space. To me it looks like a fish tank and not a wild scape. Hypes has a similar issue though he uses the middle for the rock structure and straight on you get the appearance of a rock outcropping with dead space on either side.

Art style is a personal preference, of course. It does look nice. Do you plan to keep the exposed glass scraped clean?

This is why I don't even try and scape but rather haphazardly place stuff. Too frustrating. :)

• Like 3