ReefCleaners.org

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

I wrote an article about the Hydrofil Ti

http://blog.marinedepot.com/2016/12/innovative-marine-introduces-hydrofill-ti.html

Dimensions are 7.81″ x 11.81″ x 18.89

MarineDepot-Banner.jpg

Omg I want one! I remember seeing the article you wrote but it was before I got the 30g and I forgot all about it. Great, just when I thought I was done spending money on the new build :rolleyes:

So the container I have now stores 15 quarts, and I paid $12 for it. This one stores 20 quarts, so I'd be paying $88 more for another 5 quarts. That's about $17/quart :unsure:.

BUT IT LOOKS SO COOL! Must resist...

• Like 2

Omg I want one! I remember seeing the article you wrote but it was before I got the 30g and I forgot all about it. Great, just when I thought I was done spending money on the new build :rolleyes:

So the container I have now stores 15 quarts, and I paid $12 for it. This one stores 20 quarts, so I'd be paying $88 more for another 5 quarts. That's about $17/quart :unsure:.

BUT IT LOOKS SO COOL! Must resist...

$5 you gonna end up buying it still...hahahah

• Like 6

Hey pops - what's cookin'

Nm, just loving life with the kid. About to move into a new place, perhaps start a new job. Lurking here occasionally.

Getting the tank bug again :D Ran an idea by the boss and she literally laughed and said "Nooooope."

• Like 3

Nm, just loving life with the kid. About to move into a new place, perhaps start a new job. Lurking here occasionally.

Getting the tank bug again :D Ran an idea by the boss and she literally laughed and said "Nooooope."

aww. What happened with Tucker?

aww. What happened with Tucker?

He's with my parents on a vacation for a bit. We're moving in a week and found a house to rent with a HUGE fenced yard, so he'll be rejoining us soon, which I canNOT wait for. I miss that pooch something fierce.

• Like 1

He's with my parents on a vacation for a bit. We're moving in a week and found a house to rent with a HUGE fenced yard, so he'll be rejoining us soon, which I canNOT wait for. I miss that pooch something fierce.

aww, I'm glad, that news about having to give him up was awful.

aww, I'm glad, that news about having to give him up was awful.

We ended up telling the HOA to shove it. We weren't breaking any rules. The people who complained have a dog who is worse and we politely pointed it out. I'll be damned if I have to give away a dog for being a dog. It ended up being a better situation for him while we finished our lease here for Tucker to go live with my parents and they had to put their dog down last year. They've enjoyed him and he loves it there, so it's been good for a few weeks.

Now to try and get a tank again... ;)

• Like 2

Posted on FB about the flameback and literally everyone except one person said no. So back to fish choices.

Current fish: Yellow Tang, Foxface, Rhomboid wrasse, Royal Gramma, 1 Anthias, 1 longspine cardinalfish, pair of clowns, 2 hi fin gobies, 2 springers damselfish.

I'm well aware that I am overstocked and I'm looking to add more fish. -_-

Anyone have any experience with:

Red Strip Hogfish

Purple Tilefish

Blue Gudgeon Goby

Thanks

longnose hawkfish

midas blenny

I do like hawkfish but they aren't very invert friendly. I have 2 pepermints, Juu the pistol (although he's a big guy) and the 2 ultra small hi fin gobies that it might like to eat.

Adore Midas blennies but I have yellow fish already. Might do the lawnmower or starry - they're like puppies. Till the munch the clam mantle.

Nah, someone's gotta keep those nutrients up throughout the day. Fish poop for everyone!

Just ordered a gorgonian yesterday - NPS. :)

• Like 2

I've never had a problem with a flameback. I'm not on bookface to give all those noobs the smack down, though.

As for the others.. I've only had a purple tile. It's a jumper.

• Like 2

I'm obsessed with the right side :wub:

But you pass the Dutchie from the left hand side. :P

Longnose hawk is VERY invert friendly. M said she's disappoint. :D Blue Gudgeons need to be kept in 3s to thrive. That Red Stripe hogfish is gonna not be invert friendly.

Purple tiles are a pain in the ass, they don't ship well and they get pretty big, 8" or there abouts.

Billy says how you doin'?

R5L1fen.jpg

• Like 4

I do like hawkfish but they aren't very invert friendly. I have 2 pepermints, Juu the pistol (although he's a big guy) and the 2 ultra small hi fin gobies that it might like to eat.

Adore Midas blennies but I have yellow fish already. Might do the lawnmower or starry - they're like puppies. Till the munch the clam mantle.

Just ordered a gorgonian yesterday - NPS. :)

I've had a longnose hawk in my tank for a year, he's never bothered anything. He's awesome! We also had them in his old 240 years ago, along with peppermint shrimp, calms, etc. Never had a problem with them.

Also a huge fan of lawnmowers, but I honestly don't know if they nibble clams or not. Ours don't mess with anything, though. They live with a couple abalones with no trouble. Only thing we've had mess with the abalones is the orange spot puffers, and melanuris (sp?) wrasse.

• Like 1

I've had a longnose hawk in my tank for a year, he's never bothered anything. He's awesome! We also had them in his old 240 years ago, along with peppermint shrimp, calms, etc. Never had a problem with them.

Also a huge fan of lawnmowers, but I honestly don't know if they nibble clams or not. Ours don't mess with anything, though. They live with a couple abalones with no trouble. Only thing we've had mess with the abalones is the orange spot puffers, and melanuris (sp?) wrasse.

I think with every fish it is a hit or a miss. I currently have a filefish that won't eat aiptasia or zoas.

32507111420_d7b7084985_o.gif

• Like 2

I forgot about Perchy McPerchface the Hifin Perchlet, they're peaceful, they do have HUGE mouth though. I have the one in the Fluval 5g with a small cleaner shrimp and there's been no move to eat the shrimp yet.

Yt4Lhss.jpg

• Like 3

I wanted to post up a review of the Reef Octopus socks. Yep- the socks. Bet you didn't know they made 'em.

If you recall my original sump was a RO which had a crack on the front seam that I was lucky enough to catch before I flooded my apartment. I kept the sock holder and socks, I wasn't sure what I would do with them but I can be a hoarder, so.

On my 20L sump I dremeled out some of the rim to fit various things like the ATO tubing holder and also this sock holder. The RO socks are really a bag - a fleece bag, 100 microns so it basically catched everything. The neat part is that it doesn't have a plastic rim that all the other socks have. It comes with a plastic ring which you thread onto the bags and drop them in the sock holder.

reefoctopusfiltersocks.jpg

I've never enjoyed washing socks as much! I'm serious. It's soft and easy to turn inside out. It squeezes/wrings out. I mean this thing is amazing! The 100 microns catch a lot so I have to change the sock far quicker than I did with the old 200 microns obviously but cleaning these is like night and day easier than the ol' plastic molded socks. Strongly recommend these for any sump that allows a sock. I think you could use it in pretty much any filter sock bracket.

• Like 5

In other news, going to make a trip to the LFS and trade back the filefish and one of the Springers Damselfish. The poor guy is bullied incessantly by the other springers and they used to be fine in the old tank. The trouble started when it was getting bullied in the holding tank by mama clown. I removed it and put it by itself in the 40B. When all the fish were transferred to the main tank, the 40B damsel took several more days to make it over there. I guess that was time enough for the other damsel to get territorial. I've tried unsuccessfully, now twice to add him back. I did it when the lights were out too. But this guy finds the other guy and bullies him non stop. I suppose I could let it play out and see if he stops but I can see the harassed fish showing signs of problems, from bite marks to color changes, it's always cowering and that isn't nice. So back to the store he goes.

but, but , but....my filter sock holder is a rectangle....... :wacko:

I have always thought a removable ring would have been the best improvement they could have done on filter socks.

• Like 2