Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

32427873010_819ef0496e_h.jpg

The scape dose look good but I still don't understand the look of the shelf above the black space. To me it looks like a fish tank and not a wild scape. Hypes has a similar issue though he uses the middle for the rock structure and straight on you get the appearance of a rock outcropping with dead space on either side.

Art style is a personal preference, of course. It does look nice. Do you plan to keep the exposed glass scraped clean?

This is why I don't even try and scape but rather haphazardly place stuff. Too frustrating. :)

Just pretend you don't see the top shelf at all. Sand won't be visible, that clam won't be right there. It will just be black. With corals encroaching from both sides. Like a curtain on a stage. Problem solved. :D

Scapes nice. I like the sides, i would just make them not so symetrical. And id connect a shelf at the top middle to overhang the open space at the bottom. Just my .02.

Welcome back yo.

Nope. The middle stays clean.

• Like 3

Have you ever seen "Diesel" tank on R2R? He lives in Houston and has probably one of the best acro tanks I've seen. Last time I was over at his house, he had a bandit angel, flame angel, and two swallowtail angels.

According him, they all nipped, but it did not stop his acros from growing.

Conversely, you could argue that he has a 202 gallon tank and alot more acros to spread the abuse.

#thatsabigtank

It looks really nice, Kat. It's so cool to have all those mature colonies so you can have an instant reef in the new tank. Aside from the hours and hours of work to make it happen, of course. :D

I'm glad you said you were moving the clam, having it in the exact center was the only thing the really jumped out at me as being out of place.

Insta-tank. If it was a bigger tank, it wouldn't be this instant, but believe it or not this tank is actually SMALLER in volume than the other one. Of course space comes at a premium in this one too. I'm looking at it as 2 tanks in one - the front is like a tall 20G, the back is a shallow Mr Aqua long. :D

I just told Benny Somebody with photoshop can take my corals and my tank and scooch them all in the center so we can see what it would look like. Me no have photoshop.

• Like 1

Have you ever seen "Diesel" tank on R2R? He lives in Houston and has probably one of the best acro tanks I've seen. Last time I was over at his house, he had a bandit angel, flame angel, and two swallowtail angels.

According him, they all nipped, but it did not stop his acros from growing.

Conversely, you could argue that he has a 202 gallon tank and alot more acros to spread the abuse.

It does, but all it takes is the constant annoyance to introduce a pathogen and wipe out a whole colony.

You gotta leave room for the blue Solomons stag Kat. Josh is out collecting for me as I type this, 20 boxes inbound in 3-4 weeks if they get their runway back up and running.

• Like 1

Hello on a miserable Sunday - weatherwise.

My 2G ATO needs to be filled pretty much everyday. The evap is quite a lot on this tank. Debating a new top off reservoir which would hold more.

I'm addicted to my large ATO, I dunno how anyone lives with 2G ones on a tank that size.
  • Like 2

I'm addicted to my large ATO, I dunno how anyone lives with 2G ones on a tank that size.

It was just fine on the previous tank and it had a larger volume. Not sure I need something enormous, just a little bigger. thinking about the IM Hydrofil Ti. Except it won't fit in the cabinet.

It was just fine on the previous tank and it had a larger volume. Not sure I need something enormous, just a little bigger. thinking about the IM Hydrofil Ti. Except it won't fit in the cabinet.

How often did you have to fill it on the old tank?

I sure do. The previous was 36x18, this is 36x24

I can probably fit the IM hydrofil Ti reservoir sideways. I've got 8 inches between the sump and the supporting brace. But to answer your Question, the area available is 12x8x20

• Like 1

The space between my 30g tank stand and the wall is just a little over 8" so I had a similar problem. I ended up with an airtight pet food container, but it only holds a little less than 4g, and it's a smidge over 8" wide.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00186O0SS/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully you can come up with something better so I can copy you :D