Pod Your Reef

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

Here fishy fishy

32511329735_8919552c72_h.jpg

The temperature in the big tank was 3 degrees colder than the fish holding tank and I didn't know because the stupid temperature reader was off. The fish took an icy plunge into the abyss but are hopefully going to be alright. They are back to their beautiful coloring. Amazing what a little space can do.

• Like 13

Here fishy fishy

I think what I'm loving most about this tank structure is that you can have the height of a wall scape without actually building one.

And with the depth front to back in the top of the tank, you can do it while keeping the open space that makes it feel like you've gone diving and are looking into an actual ocean.

Also I'm tall enough I could tip toe and view it lagoon style :P I'm betting holy carp wouldn't even need to tip toe!

• Like 2

Happy Birthday, Kat!!!!

il_340x270.1034505359_nto4.jpg

Thanks HC :)

Where in the world did you find that image - it is perfect

Hope it was a great birthday! :)

Missed you Saturday., hope your friend is okay.

I think what I'm loving most about this tank structure is that you can have the height of a wall scape without actually building one.

And with the depth front to back in the top of the tank, you can do it while keeping the open space that makes it feel like you've gone diving and are looking into an actual ocean.

Also I'm tall enough I could tip toe and view it lagoon style :P I'm betting holy carp wouldn't even need to tip toe!

:) Possibilities are endless but so is the should I shouldn't I. I'm ready to try some scapes this coming weekend.

• Like 1

I put a piece of black plastic, anchored it down as best as I could and it has the look I'm going for which is no visual of the sand from the front. Acrylic may or may not float but a piece of glass would be perfect.

32542835165_5435d23ae5_h.jpg

Comparison

In retrospect an uneven line would probably be better, serves as a true drop-off look rather than the straight line of sand. The wavy idea that was posted but not really wavy - just random. Not sure how to achieve that.

x4vWkQt.jpg

33bbcd4f01fa918ce2b819dcf525a5ab.jpg

aloha-amazing-beach-ocean-Favim.com-6105

07-hovering-above-offering-shelf-holtun-

temple.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/freediver-at-drop-off-misool-raja-ampat-west-papua-indonesia-picture-id128936966?s=170667a

• Like 4

2 dabs of IC gel (one on each end) should be able to keep that sucker down.

I probably wouldn't even worry about it since once coralline grows in, it's gonna look odd once again, since I'm pretty sure you won't be scraping that back bottom section (I could however be wrong here, but not likely seeing your routine maintenance :lol: ). The only suggestion that I can think of, to emulate what I'm seeing in the pics, is if you were to get lots of thin tonga (dongs) and glue them together with emaco or Nyos cement like a sausage fest of sorts. The backing to the lip there could just be rubble for the dongs.

• Like 1

With pictures like that Kat I might have to avoid your thread for awhile... it's making me want to go diving again and I don't have the time or money to do it... so peacul under the sea...

• Like 2

2 dabs of IC gel (one on each end) should be able to keep that sucker down.

I probably wouldn't even worry about it since once coralline grows in, it's gonna look odd once again, since I'm pretty sure you won't be scraping that back bottom section (I could however be wrong here, but not likely seeing your routine maintenance :lol: ). The only suggestion that I can think of, to emulate what I'm seeing in the pics, is if you were to get lots of thin tonga (dongs) and glue them together with emaco or Nyos cement like a sausage fest of sorts. The backing to the lip there could just be rubble for the dongs.

Sausage fest? :huh::blink::lol::haha:

Actually EBN, I have a question for you.

So I have this hand carved vintage mirror and it is broken some of the carvings. I have managed to glue most of them successfully but this one isn't holding.

31695602574_724e06da12_h.jpg

The hole where the nail goes is filled in with old glue, and the bottom part of this piece is jagged.

I was thinking of drilling a new hole for the nail and then filling all of it with liquid nails. Would that hold? Or should I straighten this jagged edge and then drill a hole for a nail that goes from this piece to the other side - but how do i find a nail which has 2 pointy ends?

Kat, have you ever considered leaving the top as bare-bottom and only having sand on the lower level?

This may be the only viable option. I did however ask them to specifically install that lip. Perhaps I can just cut it off?

I was thinking of drilling a new hole for the nail and then filling all of it with liquid nails. Would that hold? Or should I straighten this jagged edge and then drill a hole for a nail that goes from this piece to the other side - but how do i find a nail which has 2 pointy ends?

This may be the only viable option. I did however ask them to specifically install that lip. Perhaps I can just cut it off?

How is it installed? Is it just siliconed in place?

Sausage fest? :huh::blink::lol::haha:

Actually EBN, I have a question for you.

So I have this hand carved vintage mirror and it is broken some of the carvings. I have managed to glue most of them successfully but this one isn't holding.

31695602574_724e06da12_h.jpg

The hole where the nail goes is filled in with old glue, and the bottom part of this piece is jagged.

So there's another piece that goes at the bottom of that? How much does the bottom piece weigh?

As for that nail. That's a blind nail. You can just extract it and replace it with another blind nail. You can get a kit via Amazon or at a hardware store (not sure if this is the size of the blind nail that's in that mirror).

https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-BLINDNAILKIT-Double-ended-16inch-8-inch/dp/B00OP8Y88S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485479227&sr=8-1&keywords=blind+nail+kit

The making of an abyss...

32503418346_01844b5af0_h.jpg

Fluffy Orange Creamsicle

31699035654_ae94581f6a_h.jpg

@EBN

Here is the top of the mirror where that broken piece is supposed to go. A blind nail would work great, not sure I need $13 worth of them.

32421802221_dc67a8e210_b.jpg

:blush: you can see my liquid nail blobs. But I have paint to cover them. However this is the very top of the mirror and well over 7 feet from the floor so not too worried

• Like 6

hey can you access the backside of the glass at the drop off? Would be awesome if you could because you could use mag rocks or make your own to create the shelves.

• Like 3