Coral Vue Hydros

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

I been thinking about switching my Kessil for 2 duos. Why would you need 3 quads for coverage??? 2 duos would do it.

By quads I meant the 2x2 units like mpsti05 has. I used LED before, a Radion. Lots of shadowing in my limited experience. The week I moved to T5 I started seeing benefits, now I have white growth tips on everything and color is better than ever.

PUCK PUCK PUCK PUCK PUCK PUCK

^ Do it!!!!!!!

Whyyyyyyy? Corals are happier than ever and growing like mad!

Send me one and ill try it ;)

• Like 1
mystersyster

No I have a protein skimmer. Thats mechanical filtration

diagram-protein-skimmer_zpsw3jkdueq.jpg

Thanks for the picture of that skimmer. I had no idea how they worked. Nor that mechanical filteration was synonymous with ONLY protein skimmers. I guess I was wrong to think filter socks, and filter pads were what we typically refer to as mechanical filteration.

HarryPotter

Thanks for the picture of that skimmer. I had no idea how they worked. Nor that mechanical filteration was synonymous with ONLY protein skimmers. I guess I was wrong to think filter socks, and filter pads were what we typically refer to as mechanical filteration.

I didn't mean to seem condescending with the photo. I had in on my desktop because I was looking at some threads of bubble size and contact time and thought it showed it well.

Actually... I lied when I said just mechanical filtration. I also have refugium

• Like 1

By quads I meant the 2x2 units like mpsti05 has. I used LED before, a Radion. Lots of shadowing in my limited experience. The week I moved to T5 I started seeing benefits, now I have white growth tips on everything and color is better than ever.

dayum...that's $$$

I will just do

Puck Puck Puck Puck

haahahah

Not you Harry! You don't change nada your stuff is exploding, ninja should try it!

just daydreaming about it. i am gonna loose at least $400 reselling the AP700 + mounts + diffuser. Plus have to buy 2-3 Duos...

• Like 1
HarryPotter

dayum...that's $$$

I will just do

Puck Puck Puck Puck

haahahah

But.....

Shadow Shadow Shadow

Puck Puck Puck Puck

Shadow Shadow Shadow

jedimasterben

dayum...that's $$$

I will just do

Puck Puck Puck Puck

haahahah

just daydreaming about it. i am gonna loose at least $400 reselling the AP700 + mounts + diffuser. Plus have to buy 2-3 Duos...

Yeah, two duos just won't cut it for a tank like yours.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Losing faith that this Mari colony will ever look good. On one hand I want to see if it can turn nice, only had it for a few months. But on the other hand I want to get rid of it and instead put a more colorful colony there.

But I couldn't throw out a healthy coral just since the color is bad either :(

D50F3203-258F-4CE9-8B52-FC0022BAF16F_zps

• Like 1
JavaJacketOC

Harry, what mode and how much power are you using for your crossflow? I picked up a CP25 for my 70 gallon tank and on H at max power it really doesn't seem to be moving much water. I expected to have to use it at about half power anything less than 70% really doesn't do much.

HarryPotter

Harry, what mode and how much power are you using for your crossflow? I picked up a CP25 for my 70 gallon tank and on H at max power it really doesn't seem to be moving much water. I expected to have to use it at about half power anything less than 70% really doesn't do much.

I never used the CP25. I purchased the CP40. Roughly same tank volume as you- Im not sure why you went with the CP25?

JavaJacketOC

I never used the CP25. I purchased the CP40. Roughly same tank volume as you- Im not sure why you went with the CP25?

The CP40 said tanks between 50-150 gallons or something like that, the CP25 was recommended for 25-100...although I can't remember where I saw that. I went with the smaller because the CP40 reviews I saw were of people using them on 4 and 5 foot tanks and getting a lot of movement. My tank is only 36" so it seemed like even the CP25 would be overkill.

Which mode are you using and how much power do you normally have it set at?

I am getting good a good gyre effect without kicking up sand (which was my original goal) but just didn't expect to have to use it on 90-100%. The other wave options probably won't work since they don't seem to get the water moving enough.

HarryPotter

The CP40 said tanks between 50-150 gallons or something like that, the CP25 was recommended for 25-100...although I can't remember where I saw that. I went with the smaller because the CP40 reviews I saw were of people using them on 4 and 5 foot tanks and getting a lot of movement. My tank is only 36" so it seemed like even the CP25 would be overkill.

Which mode are you using and how much power do you normally have it set at?

I am getting good a good gyre effect without kicking up sand (which was my original goal) but just didn't expect to have to use it on 90-100%. The other wave options probably won't work since they don't seem to get the water moving enough.

I had it set around 60-70%. Not currently using one because a few days after posting that review, someone bought it from me. So I'm using my MP40 and PP4 now

JavaJacketOC

I had it set around 60-70%. Not currently using one because a few days after posting that review, someone bought it from me. So I'm using my MP40 and PP4 now

Ok, so then I guess this thing is moving the amount of water it should. Thanks for the input, I'm gonna keep playing with it to see if I can use any of the other settings.

I may contact the seller and see if they'll let me upgrade to the CP40, it was only 10.00 more.

HarryPotter

That is a cool picture :lol:.

I love your tank, Harry!!!! You came up in a conversation I was having with my husband yesterday LOL. Somehow we got on the topic of Florida and I mentioned how awesome your yard is with the tropical plants/trees and the bamboo. We have a lot of bamboo in our yard. My husband is a big fan. And I told him about your tortoises. We actually have similar plants here but we are missing the tropical aspect. It's too damn dry here :lol:. Unfortunately he doesn't like humidity like I do :).

Heres a babyyyyyy

IMG_0640_zpsl0mr7nvi.jpg

• Like 4

Heres a babyyyyyy

IMG_0640_zpsl0mr7nvi.jpg

oh for crying out loud :wub:. That is just too darn cute!

those latest photos are awesome too. I just love the colors in your tank!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

oh for crying out loud :wub:. That is just too darn cute!

those latest photos are awesome too. I just love the colors in your tank!

Thanks Gena! Your monti caps were such an inspiration for me.... I simply love how they grow and after seeing your 2014 TOTM tried to do something similar on my right side with red, green, and purple. The purple cap is on the sand bed for the minute as it grew so large I am having trouble remounting it but I'll get it mounted soon!

And if you ever want monti caps... I'll try to throw in a 4 legged very slow rock ?

• Like 2

Thanks Gena! Your monti caps were such an inspiration for me.... I simply love how they grow and after seeing your 2014 TOTM tried to do something similar on my right side with red, green, and purple. The purple cap is on the sand bed for the minute as it grew so large I am having trouble remounting it but I'll get it mounted soon!

And if you ever want monti caps... I'll try to throw in a 4 legged very slow rock

That's great to hear :). I've always loved the looks of the plating monticaps. Especially when they intertwine. It's just so artsy looking :).

I would LOVE a 4 legged very slow rock LOL.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

That's great to hear :). I've always loved the looks of the plating monticaps. Especially when they intertwine. It's just so artsy looking :).

I would LOVE a 4 legged very slow rock LOL.

Tortoises are easier to ship than corals! Put em in a sock, in a box with some packaging material and done to any temperature 60-95!

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Wannabert :lol:

Wannabert is being wevil (pronounced we-vill). Was under my encrusting cap and awesome but then changed to a spot behind my right island :(

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Repost of earlier today's photos to get them on the new page :)

IMG_0619_zpsnmzmpomn.jpg

Here are some of todays photos...

IMG_0574_zpswsunb9i6.jpg

IMG_0586_zpsu81birqn.jpg

IMG_0584_zpsfsh1hfwh.jpg

IMG_0570_zpsgbfwuplr.jpg

IMG_0550_zpso15mulou.jpg

IMG_0567_zpsudq6fxh4.jpg

IMG_0566_zpsbip5zasu.jpg

IMG_0576_zpslojw9bl0.jpg

IMG_0582_zpskxpeu8pe.jpg

IMG_0542_zpspjbiwdxj.jpg

IMG_0622_zpsky1iyy6v.jpg

IMG_0627_zpsmexf52g0.jpg

IMG_0601_zpsfwgmrgot.jpg

IMG_0597_zpsis3ki4pe.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsqi56vmtz.jpg

IMG_0565_zpsmhlpsdyv.jpg

Nice tank pics Harry, your stuff looks really happy!

Thanks! I try to take pictures the day after bit maintenance- mixing up the sand, socks, sump, etc since I believe (maybe it's in my head) that the corals enjoy the spike in nutrients and the cleaner water that follows
  • Like 7
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350