SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

The "Pencil" wrasse is a male small tail wrasse, Pseudojuloides cerasinus. (identified on R2R)

Yeah, its always possible the chromis will just kill themselves off. Nothing to do but cross your fingers!

Great news! I didn't see my yellow coris wrasse for 24 hours after introduction and thought it might have been a goner because I screwed up acclimation.

BUT THEN. A HEAD APPEARED. And a few minutes later it was happily swimming around :)

4F29EB36-0984-412F-B293-34FE37A05009_zps

• Like 6
HarryPotter

It's so weird that some fish sleep like that but I guess it's whatever keeps ya safe

Now its up and about! Happily eating the pods all over my frag rack :)

IMG_0041_zps5wnxm4ti.jpg

Heres a quick video i took. I have a few fans running since temp is over 82 (AC is down) so I chose a random music option.... Wish me luck!

• Like 8
HarryPotter

5 chromis, two clowns, a cardinalfish, and a pseudojuloides cerasinus are happily swimming about. The Halichoeres chrysus (Yellow coris wrasse :lol:) is hiding since the main lights aren't on yet. Pretty happy with all of them, reading about more wrasses and even the possibility of anthias now that I have an auto feeder set up.

Edit:

Also somewhat new is the Jebao PP4 on the top left. Works pretty well in "else" mode and fixed the low flow areas. I have it aiming behind the rock structure, so towards the front pane water goes right to left and behind the rock left to right.

• Like 1

Great news! I didn't see my yellow coris wrasse for 24 hours after introduction and thought it might have been a goner because I screwed up acclimation.

BUT THEN. A HEAD APPEARED. And a few minutes later it was happily swimming around :)

4F29EB36-0984-412F-B293-34FE37A05009_zps

That is a cool picture :lol:.

I love your tank, Harry!!!! You came up in a conversation I was having with my husband yesterday LOL. Somehow we got on the topic of Florida and I mentioned how awesome your yard is with the tropical plants/trees and the bamboo. We have a lot of bamboo in our yard. My husband is a big fan. And I told him about your tortoises. We actually have similar plants here but we are missing the tropical aspect. It's too damn dry here :lol:. Unfortunately he doesn't like humidity like I do :).

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I love your tank, Harry!!!! You came up in a conversation I was having with my husband yesterday LOL. Somehow we got on the topic of Florida and I mentioned how awesome your yard is with the tropical plants/trees and the bamboo. We have a lot of bamboo in our yard. My husband is a big fan. And I told him about your tortoises. We actually have similar plants here but we are missing the tropical aspect. It's too damn dry here :lol:. Unfortunately he doesn't like humidity like I do :).

Thanks! Yeah, I really like Florida. We recently got a baby Sulcata thats about two inches and a 1.5" Hermanns tortoise with a damaged hind leg, both are in a 10g with food and a heat lamp for observation until they can be put outside into the "baby pen" :)

Tortoises are thrilled this time of year because the mangos! Mangos all over. Falling from the trees right into their pen, pits we throw in there, etc. Very fun, im gonna make mango sorbet today :)

• Like 3

Ok, hold on a minute. you LIKE humidity??? As in you actually prefer it? WHAT???

5 chromis, two clowns, a cardinalfish, and a pseudojuloides cerasinus are happily swimming about. The Halichoeres chrysus (Yellow coris wrasse :lol:) is hiding since the main lights aren't on yet. Pretty happy with all of them, reading about more wrasses and even the possibility of anthias now that I have an auto feeder set up.

Edit:

Also somewhat new is the Jebao PP4 on the top left. Works pretty well in "else" mode and fixed the low flow areas. I have it aiming behind the rock structure, so towards the front pane water goes right to left and behind the rock left to right.

WHAT is with the fancy names? Are you channeling your inner Ben aka Buzz?

• Like 2

Thanks! Yeah, I really like Florida. We recently got a baby Sulcata thats about two inches and a 1.5" Hermanns tortoise with a damaged hind leg, both are in a 10g with food and a heat lamp for observation until they can be put outside into the "baby pen" :)

Tortoises are thrilled this time of year because the mangos! Mangos all over. Falling from the trees right into their pen, pits we throw in there, etc. Very fun, im gonna make mango sorbet today :)

If I were to move to Florida it would be either the Miami area or straight to the Keys :). OMG..you have mango trees???? See....that all sounds heavenly to me. I'm so jealous!!!! Take pics of your mango sorbet if you make it.

Ok, hold on a minute. you LIKE humidity??? As in you actually prefer it? WHAT???

Oh yes...absolutely love humidity. I know that's weird LOL. But it's like being in a sauna and it's so good for your skin!!!!! We've actually had a few kinda humid days here recently and it's been wonderful!!!!! I'll take what I can get.
  • Like 1
HarryPotter

Ha! I was fooling around with the names, got the proper ones off a thread on R2R. Ill stick with pencil wrasse and coris wrasse :P

If I were to move to Florida it would be either the Miami area or straight to the Keys :). OMG..you have mango trees???? See....that all sounds heavenly to me. I'm so jealous!!!! Take pics of your mango sorbet if you make it.

So many mangos that some literally rot for the tortoises! :o

Mango sorbet seems awesome. 2lbs ripe mangos, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, two pinches of salt, 1/2 tablespoon lime juice. Mangos are pureed in a blender and then the rest mixed in, then off into the ice-cream maker. It gets nice and fluffy. Then into those topped paper 1l containers in the freezer to harden a bit more :)

Ive made mint, chocolate chunk, blueberry, peanut butter chocolate chunk, vanilla, vanilla sprinkles, etc. All turn out excellent with online recipes

912BA683-7165-481A-8354-736AEFCA5BD8_zps

Edit:

All done. Put away in the freezer to harden more before I have some :)

• Like 4

Ha! I was fooling around with the names, got the proper ones off a thread on R2R. Ill stick with pencil wrasse and coris wrasse :P

So many mangos that some literally rot for the tortoises! :o

Mango sorbet seems awesome. 2lbs ripe mangos, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, two pinches of salt, 1/2 tablespoon lime juice. Mangos are pureed in a blender and then the rest mixed in, then off into the ice-cream maker. It gets nice and fluffy. Then into those topped paper 1l containers in the freezer to harden a bit more :)

Ive made mint, chocolate chunk, blueberry, peanut butter chocolate chunk, vanilla, vanilla sprinkles, etc. All turn out excellent with online recipes

912BA683-7165-481A-8354-736AEFCA5BD8_zps

Edit:

All done. Put away in the freezer to harden more before I have some :)

Awesome :). We have a really nice ice cream maker as well but haven't made any in a long time. Might be time to break it out again!

That's one thing I loved when I went to Miami. Stopped at a fruit stand and I couldn't have just one fresh mango juice, had to have a couple. Love the picture. I guess I didn't realize when they cover, they really cover. And you can never have enough yellow in a reef tank. There should be lots of yellow.

HarryPotter

That's one thing I loved when I went to Miami. Stopped at a fruit stand and I couldn't have just one fresh mango juice, had to have a couple. Love the picture. I guess I didn't realize when they cover, they really cover. And you can never have enough yellow in a reef tank. There should be lots of yellow.

I agree with yellow. But a tank required more care than I think I can offer it, especially when I get reef tank withdrawal when I only see it once every week or two :(

HarryPotter

Stella suggested frozen treats so I made some peanut butter ice cubes for Jackson to try later :)

Here's a quick "taste test" to make sure he would be interested

• Like 1
HarryPotter

new tank? =P

Dude im leaving next month. #PanicAttackTime

Heres an interesting photo. I don't know why its this color; my phone must have been aimed oddly.

4CE6239A-9D6A-4267-A3BE-74D7FED19580_zps

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Haven't been on this page in a while ! Tanks looking awesome dude.

Thanks Jorgieee! If you want to meet up for some monti caps send me a message

HarryPotter

So my "in stand" ATO reservoir is full of mosquito larvae again. I guess a warm, clean never-emptying container of fresh water is a breeding ground for Floridian pests!

If I add vodka or vinegar to the top off water will it prevent the mosquitos from breeding there?

• Like 1
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350