SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Harry, how's the ocean? Seeing lots of green algae grossness in FB pics of FL. Has it impacted Miami beaches?

Haven't been to the beach in the past few weeks, so no idea. Ill probably go this weekend and let you know.

Here is a FTS from 10 minutes ago. So, VERY current :)

IMG_0022_zpszi4u7w2a.jpg

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Seems like theres an issue with my return pump. Flow decreased a lot today (I noticed because my plumbing became super loud) and the controller is really really hot. Like can't touch for too long hot. Shut down the return pump and will check tomorrow for something in the impeller, or, if I need to contact Reef Octopus.

Tank is also hotter, spike in trend can be seen on the apex. Meh.

Anyway, corals are looking better than ever. Hammer coral is beating the crap out of the candy cane, gotta fix that tomorrow :)

HarryPotter

What about fixing it tonight? Lazy ass :P

Since I dont really know whats wrong with it lol. Impeller was clear so I turned it back on to see.

Earlier my mama clown finally let papa into the anemones. Finally! I guess since there are three BTAs in one huge pile she decided there MIGHT be enough space for him.

This was the scary situation from a few minutes ago. Messaged Stella in a panic :lol:

IMG_9918_zpskmcbspv4.jpeg

I couldn't get it off using my nails and didn't want to cut the foot of either so ended up using coral cutters on the rock below the rock flower anemone. Success! Plus it was easy to just glue into place without turning off pumps and such

New placement (Still closed)

IMG_5850_zpsh1cjsf6z.jpeg

Tada! Walked by just now and it looks fine :)

IMG_8910_zpsqp53jwee.jpg

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Those RFA's are beautiful! How's the return pump doing today?

Thanks! The return pump seems to be fine so I'm not sure what's up. Next thought is to check the overflow box area; I've never looked in there

• Like 1
HarryPotter

You should do a before and after =]

Started out a bit under 2", now is ~3.5. Ive had it for 429 days :)

IMG_0364_zps08qhfk5o.jpg

Throwback to my first tank! Still have most; frogspawn, pipe organ, polyps, sunset montipora, etc. The single polyp of green radioactive dragon eyes on the top right is now a 50 polyp colony! Frogspawn has went from a single head to 6, traded those brown zoas. Pretty good...

IMG_0445_zpse4zmxc0y.jpg

• Like 4
jedimasterben

Unplug everything possible to unplug and see where the temperature gets to.

Or possibly your Apex temp probe is bad?

HarryPotter

Unplug everything possible to unplug and see where the temperature gets to.

Or possibly your Apex temp probe is bad?

Could be apex probe. But return pump controller is hot, like really hot. That would SUCK if it was broken.... And I have encountered issues with the overflow needing to be adjusted all the time in the past few days so that also indicates issue with return flow :(

Related to your return pump issue? Or you sleep walk and hug the tank all night.

Yep... Pretty sure return pump. I haven't needed to adjust the overflow since I set it up and now it needs to be adjusted every day, and along with the really hot return pump controller I am thinking its broken.

Bummer.... Expensive fix.

HarryPotter

Seriously, it's $20 to get a Kill-a-watt and remove all doubt.

What? Oh if the pump is at fault it'll show via electricity usage? Can't I just use my EB8 for that?

What? Oh if the pump is at fault it'll show via electricity usage? Can't I just use my EB8 for that?

That is one of the new features on the new Apex and the EB8-32. Monitors power consumption of each outlet so you can see if something is wrong by the power usage history. Guess you'll need to upgrade :D Then again the issues I have been reading with the new Apex, glad I won't be getting mine for about a month hopefully the bugs will be mostly worked out by then.

HarryPotter

That's about 12 watts or so, which is really unrealistic. Get a kill a watt ;)

I'll order one, thanks.

Anyway... If the return pump is bad that hurts. I believe about a year old, Reef Octopus will hopefully warranty it

That is one of the new features on the new Apex and the EB8-32. Monitors power consumption of each outlet so you can see if something is wrong by the power usage history. Guess you'll need to upgrade :D Then again the issues I have been reading with the new Apex, glad I won't be getting mine for about a month hopefully the bugs will be mostly worked out by then.

Yeah the new apex has had some issues for sure but hey it's a new product.

I'm pretty happy with mine, I don't see a need to upgrade: only benefit would be the individual power monitoring as I have all the other equipment already :)

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350