inTank Media Baskets

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Looking fantastic.

Thanks Mark! Any tips on the acros? I'm seeing growth tips at last but I'm sure there are plenty of ways I can improve growth or color. You're like the Acro king with those colonies and stags; I'm still all stubs and frags :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks Mark! Any tips on the acros? I'm seeing growth tips at last but I'm sure there are plenty of ways I can improve growth or color. You're like the Acro king with those colonies and stags; I'm still all stubs and frags :lol:

Just keep it steady IMO, looks like you are doing just fine. Speed of growth can be directly related to light and food, but food can increase PO4 which will slow growth. Fun! :D Are you feeding small amounts of coral food on a regular basis? I think the size of the coral is directly related to how easy it is and not anything to do with my talent. :D I have lots of little teeny remainders of the harder to grow acros.

Did you see my comment in the katropora thread? I'm wondering why your kat has no polyp extension. Daytime polyp extension is not a sign of health, in the wild there is generally none during the day, but have a look at night, hours after lights out, to make sure you see some decent polyps. The better the nighttime polyps the faster things seem to grow.

• Like 3
HarryPotter

Those photos are incredible! What camera are you using?

Canon T3i

Just keep it steady IMO, looks like you are doing just fine. Speed of growth can be directly related to light and food, but food can increase PO4 which will slow growth. Fun! :D Are you feeding small amounts of coral food on a regular basis? I think the size of the coral is directly related to how easy it is and not anything to do with my talent. :D I have lots of little teeny remainders of the harder to grow acros.

Did you see my comment in the katropora thread? I'm wondering why your kat has no polyp extension. Daytime polyp extension is not a sign of health, in the wild there is generally none during the day, but have a look at night, hours after lights out, to make sure you see some decent polyps. The better the nighttime polyps the faster things seem to grow.

I'm feeding a TON of reef roids at least once a day, also pellets and mysis.

I didn't see/read your comment on that thread- I need to go look. On my phone. Just the Katropora has no PE, everything else does. Weird.

I'll check it out at night

HarryPotter

Have you seen if you've been nominated for totm yet?

No I haven't seen or looked at that thread in a while now, besides I think the tank is still immature.

Looking really nice!

Thanks!

HarryPotter

I have always been surprised by how reefs tank do. From my 45 gallon to this one, they have maintained undetectable nutrients no matter the feeding.

Parameters seem normal when I force myself to do a full test, about every 6 weeks. Calcium 500, Alk 8.3, PO4 0, NO3 0, Mg ~1300. Temperature ranges 78.7 to 80, and pH according to my apex fluctuates 8.21-8.44. Yes, the pH seems to be high but perhaps the probe needs to be calibrated. The jebao doser adds 4ml of ESV Alk on even hours and 4ml ESV Calcium on odd hours- so total of 48ml each daily. Water changes are every two weeks with RSCP, 20 gallons is about 25% volume. RODI topoff with a 13 gallon (total) reservoir lasts about 2 weeks.

For filtration I have mesh filter socks (Which overflow every two weeks or so- cleaned during water change), the skimmer, the refugium, and (recently) some carbon in a reactor in my sump.

My corals have always seemed.... happy. I have really only lost corals due to stupid mistakes; getting buried in the sand or (in the early days) burning some LPS since I have too much light for brain corals.

I think I can finally say that I feel graduated from a "noob" reefer to advanced; definitely not expert or someone that should be consulted with but I can hold my own a bit. Usually I say I credit "Super bacteria" to it, but no theres an element beyond luck with I think is skill that I obtained from these hundreds of hours of reading and hands on experience. I am even shipping corals across the United States- couple dozen packages by now, on my own with virtually complete success.

I think I decided this, more or less, after getting out my frag plugs and making a dozen frags- some acropora, LPS, mushrooms, etc. The frags are larger than the original pieces I purchased- so I am playing a role in the aquaculture of corals and the preservation of coral reefs.

Okay, sorry for the novel. But after making the frags I was proud. I am no expert by far but I am not the noob I started out as.

*****BUT #### EVERY FISH BESIDES CLOWNFISH AND CARDINALS*****

• Like 6
HarryPotter

why dont u send frags to me????

Acros? Rainbow planet, green millipora, gold millipora, sexy blue tip tenius, Steve Elias teal stag, etc.

The gold millipora piece is for HM but the rest need more encrusting time.

• Like 2

You are definitely and Advanced Aquarist! The growth you are getting is fantastic. I really love the turquoise and green trumpets you placed next to each other and that toadstool in the back is such a great color. Looks like a soft sea-foam green. I need one LOL :).

• Like 1
HarryPotter

You are definitely and Advanced Aquarist! The growth you are getting is fantastic. I really love the turquoise and green trumpets you placed next to each other and that toadstool in the back is such a great color. Looks like a soft sea-foam green. I need one LOL :).

Thanks! It is getting stung by the rock flower anemones so I may need to cut it, but overnight shipping is like $50 which stinks!

Here are the frags right after I made them. They're 100% not very large but I had to trim since they were just about touching.

IMG_8272_zpsmoxure3v.jpg

• Like 5

Not that my opinions matter too much,but I'd say you've gotta be doing something right for everything to be flourishing. Regardless of how much fancy equipment you have having good husbandry skills and knowledge definitely helps,especially with sps and any other stony coral. My hat goes off to you,the tank and coral look top fuc*in notch kid.

HarryPotter

Not that my opinions matter too much,but I'd say you've gotta be doing something right for everything to be flourishing. Regardless of how much fancy equipment you have having good husbandry skills and knowledge definitely helps,especially with sps and any other stony coral. My hat goes off to you,the tank and coral look top fuc*in notch kid.

Your opinion does matter, not sure why you would think they don't! Thanks man... I appreciate it. I guess its a combination of everything; you can have an incredible filterless- 10 gallon or a crappy $50,000 tank. Or all the skill in the world and a tank crash or dumb luck!

Today I picked up a piece I won at auction from the store I work at... I couldn't resist.

C5452958-6915-4E2C-9FC1-BB1BE42A1A20_zps

• Like 3

Hahaha I guess it's because I never really say my opinions too much here,I'm everywhere but don't say all that much lol. Definitely true though,I couldn't agree more on that. That's why with my 2g sps I'm going to do,its going to be simple as hell and see how it comes out lol.

That Acan is sexy :happydance:

HarryPotter

Hahaha I guess it's because I never really say my opinions too much here,I'm everywhere but don't say all that much lol. Definitely true though,I couldn't agree more on that. That's why with my 2g sps I'm going to do,its going to be simple as hell and see how it comes out lol.

That Acan is sexy :happydance:

2g SPS? That sounds sweet! And difficult, but whats life without a challenge? omgomgomg

Nah,I had it packed previously and had great growth and color but did a Zeo experiment and killed everything lol.I found it was harder to keep sps hapay when the tank was a mixed tank. Being able to focus specifically on them I think will be easier to keep everything happy.

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350