Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

Nice deal! I think here they are around $6 each here. Are there specific numbers to get- odds, evens, etc, or doesn't matter?

I think odds and I don't remember why I think that :lol:

Nice deal! I think here they are around $6 each here. Are there specific numbers to get- odds, evens, etc, or doesn't matter?

Odds 3, 5 or 7 - 5 is the magic number. I got 5 and two died for no reason and now have 3 and they are doing well..

• Like 1

Chromis are annoying. Pretty but annoying. It's more difficult but you might try a school of blue eyes cardinals. I can't get above 5 but they will school morning and evening. I had 3 chromis but when my slimer had to be cut up one apparently lost it's sleeping location and ended up dying. My remaining two now live in the slimer stubs, which kind of annoys me. I don't like fish touching my corals. :D

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Chromis are annoying. Pretty but annoying. It's more difficult but you might try a school of blue eyes cardinals. I can't get above 5 but they will school morning and evening. I had 3 chromis but when my slimer had to be cut up one apparently lost it's sleeping location and ended up dying. My remaining two now live in the slimer stubs, which kind of annoys me. I don't like fish touching my corals. :D

Chromis live in corals? Never heard of that!

• Like 1

I had no idea either until I got my 3. They use the larger corals to sleep in, both the slimer and the purple stylo (also gone). It may be why many people end up losing all but one.

• Like 2

Lovely tank!

Man I cannot wait to join the t5 club. Hopefully a 4 bulb sunpower with an xho strip will be enough on my lagoon 25.

Mine sleep in between the tonga branches.

Odds 3, 5 or 7 - 5 is the magic number. I got 5 and two died for no reason and now have 3 and they are doing well..

I ordered 5, two came kinda beat up and didn't make it past a day. The three left are doing well.

Just read up .. Some post/articles say they do ... No idea for sure ..

I think mine sleep in crevices...and during the day while swimming brush up against corals but would not call it annoying ...

HarryPotter

Love your tank, I have been eyeing one for a while now.

Thanks man! Great tank.

Lovely tank!

Man I cannot wait to join the t5 club. Hopefully a 4 bulb sunpower with an xho strip will be enough on my lagoon 25.

XHO strip? As in ReefBrite?

Mine sleep in between the tonga branches.

I ordered 5, two came kinda beat up and didn't make it past a day. The three left are doing well.

Makes me worry about the acros :(

Just read up .. Some post/articles say they do ... No idea for sure ..

I think mine sleep in crevices...and during the day while swimming brush up against corals but would not call it annoying ...

Yep need to do some more research on em. Well anyway I shot my budget with a custom top.... So no fish yet :)

HarryPotter

I wouldn't worry about your acros. They just hover in the Tonga they don't pick at it.

Or are you trying to kill my fuzzy sticks! :o

Yeah, mostly the things I read are positive.

Yessir the reefbrite xho

Nice! I would love two of those on my fixture haha

• Like 2

What is stopping ya? I am hoping there is some shimmer with a 4 bulb. I was very tempted to go with the reefbrite halide/xho combo but ultimately decided on t5s.

HarryPotter

What is stopping ya? I am hoping there is some shimmer with a 4 bulb. I was very tempted to go with the reefbrite halide/xho combo but ultimately decided on t5s.

Price! Very expensive for 2x 48" ReefBrites :lol:

And cheap! I talked to Stella about them earlier- probably going to get a few in quarantine this week :)

omgomgomg

Hope that helps your fish stay healthy!

Lol I'm pretty sure chromis won't kill your fuzzy sticks

Check out urbaneks' tank

• Like 1
HarryPotter

That's why I am buying 1 at a time.

Expensive to just buy one!

Yesterday's maintenance

Emptied skimmer

Replaced both filter socks

Removed and cleaned float valve, which was jamming.

Made 20g salt

jedimasterben

Lol I'm pretty sure chromis won't kill your fuzzy sticks

Check out urbaneks' tank

Chromis are planktivores, but they do live basically within the reef crest itself, they use the corals for cover.

• Like 1

I had chromis when I had a reef tank. I started with 5 and 2 died pretty quick. The remaining 3 I had for years and I never had trouble with them sleeping in coral. I did not have sps though. I guess it depends on your tank if they are troublesome or not.

• Like 1
picoreef78

I have 3 in my tank of fuzzy sticks. They do like to hide and sleep in-between the acro's but no issued for the pat two years.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

After the power outage (12 hours), I changed the setup for dealing with power outages.

My whole system runs on a UPS Battery Backup. That way it is unaffected by quick power flickers/second long outages.

Here is the timeline of what happens:

1. Power outage occurs. Apex detects outage but does not take action. Entire system is running on battery backup.

2. 5 seconds later, Apex shuts off all devices except heater and return pump. Vortech is independent and running on battery backup. Sends text/email and sounds alarm.

3. 20 minutes later, Apex shuts off all remaining equipment to conserve battery for itself and monitoring. Without this I would lose the Apex monitoring capability as the return drains the battery.

That way my Apex retains power for days so I can monitor the system and the Vortech (Independent) remains on for 36+ hours, providing critical flow.

• Like 2
  • HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350