SaltCritters.com

Reefer 350

HarryPotter

jedimasterben

I would not run a heater on backup power, not here in FL, it doesn't get nearly cold enough for long enough to really do any damage.

• Like 2
HarryPotter

do you have power outages often?

Flickers yes. Does not effect tank due to the 5 second defer. Short ones probably once every 2 weeks, under 5 minutes. Long ones every few months when a tree knocks something down that has to be fixed.

I would not run a heater on backup power, not here in FL, it doesn't get nearly cold enough for long enough to really do any damage.

The heater pulls negligible power since my tank runs at 80 and the heater is set to 78. But thats true I should take it off the program; no point in having it.

Otherwise, the program seems good?

Flickers yes. Does not effect tank due to the 5 second defer. Short ones probably once every 2 weeks, under 5 minutes. Long ones every few months when a tree knocks something down that has to be fixed.

The heater pulls negligible power since my tank runs at 80 and the heater is set to 78. But thats true I should take it off the program; no point in having it.

Otherwise, the program seems good?

that is crazy! We never have them here so I have never even considered the thought of power outage planning. Looks like you got it figured out though!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

that is crazy! We never have them hear so I have never even considered the thought of power outage planning. Looks like you got it figured out though!

The only thing that can truly f*** my tank is the week long outages that can happen with a serious hurricane. For those...... I would get 12v from my car and run it to the Vortech! lol

• Like 2

After the power outage (12 hours), I changed the setup for dealing with power outages.

My whole system runs on a UPS Battery Backup. That way it is unaffected by quick power flickers/second long outages.

Here is the timeline of what happens:

1. Power outage occurs. Apex detects outage but does not take action. Entire system is running on battery backup.

2. 5 seconds later, Apex shuts off all devices except heater and return pump. Vortech is independent and running on battery backup. Sends text/email and sounds alarm.

3. 20 minutes later, Apex shuts off all remaining equipment to conserve battery for itself and monitoring. Without this I would lose the Apex monitoring capability as the return drains the battery.

That way my Apex retains power for days so I can monitor the system and the Vortech (Independent) remains on for 36+ hours, providing critical flow.

Harry More info please....

What UPS are u using for the rest of the equipment and how did u know what whattage? (rating?) UPS to get.

Does the Vortech use the ecotech UPS ? BTW - what happened to the Gyre

Also can u share the programming you did .and where are u doing this? I mean this is for the entire Apex not an outlet for Apex .. so where do program or write code for the entire apex..

The only thing that can truly f*** my tank is the week long outages that can happen with a serious hurricane. For those...... I would get 12v from my car and run it to the Vortech! lol

haha no one needs to drive anywhere if the tank is in need! I think in the future when I am actually mortgaging a house I will invest in a generator just encase. Granted I will hopefully have a 100+ reef fingerscrossed

• Like 2
HarryPotter

Harry More info please....

What UPS are u using for the rest of the equipment and how did u know what whattage? (rating?) UPS to get.

Does the Vortech use the ecotech UPS ? BTW - what happened to the Gyre

Also can u share the programming you did .and where are u doing this? I mean this is for the entire Apex not an outlet for Apex .. so where do program or write code for the entire apex..

Hi ManGups,

My whole system is connected to the Cyberpower 750VA UPS. This way my equipment is not harmed during storm flickers, brief outages, etc.

I purchased that UPS open-box on sale, and its "enough" for me. It is NOT a large battery backup, it can power my return pump for 40 minutes. But I use it to power the "brain" of my apex, which it can do indefinitely as the brain has so little power draw. Keep in mine I am NOT saying it will power your tank during an outage for a significant length of time; it is mainly used for short outages and to power my apex if there is a long outage.

The Apex has a 12v adapter that is plugged into a normal outlet. When apex detects the power outage, it shuts down outlets via the program line "If power APEX off 000 then off". The return pump has "If power APEX off 020 then off".

On my alarm program I added ""If power APEX off 000 then ON" so it will warn me.

Hi ManGups,

My whole system is connected to the Cyberpower 750VA UPS. This way my equipment is not harmed during storm flickers, brief outages, etc.

I purchased that UPS open-box on sale, and its "enough" for me. It is NOT a large battery backup, it can power my return pump for 40 minutes. But I use it to power the "brain" of my apex, which it can do indefinitely as the brain has so little power draw. Keep in mine I am NOT saying it will power your tank during an outage for a significant length of time; it is mainly used for short outages and to power my apex if there is a long outage.

The Apex has a 12v adapter that is plugged into a normal outlet. When apex detects the power outage, it shuts down outlets via the program line "If power APEX off 000 then off". The return pump has "If power APEX off 020 then off".

On my alarm program I added ""If power APEX off 000 then ON" so it will warn me.

I presume this is in the 12 V adapter you are talking about..I can't remember if I have this ..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12v-power-supply-neptune-systems.html

Also this line of code 'If power APEX off 000 then off". The return pump has "If power APEX off 020 then off". - Are you typing the appropriate outlets right u mean to turn off. And obviously you will not write this for the heater and return outlets right?

HarryPotter

I presume this is in the 12 V adapter you are talking about..I can't remember if I have this ..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12v-power-supply-neptune-systems.html

Also this line of code 'If power APEX off 000 then off". The return pump has "If power APEX off 020 then off". - Are you typing the appropriate outlets right u mean to turn off. And obviously you will not write this for the heater and return outlets right?

Any 12v adapter will work, you probably have a bunch laying around.

The "000" line is for all outlets EXCEPT the heater and return pump, which have "020" then off. This means that the return pump will stay on for 20 minutes after the power outage and then turn off, converting the remaining power for the apex. If you want you can modify or even delete that delay all together from your program.

• Like 1

Any 12v adapter will work, you probably have a bunch laying around.

The "000" line is for all outlets EXCEPT the heater and return pump, which have "020" then off. This means that the return pump will stay on for 20 minutes after the power outage and then turn off, converting the remaining power for the apex. If you want you can modify or even delete that delay all together from your program.

Thanks Harry.....This is very helpful.

HarryPotter

Thanks Harry.....This is very helpful.

No problem man. If you need any programming help let me know, I can also double check your program at the end if you like- you can simply add me as a "Viewer" (No edit/control ability) and Ill let you know if there are any possible issues.

My apex

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-17%20at%203.02.1

• Like 1

Your tank is looking great Harry. Your power outage plan looks good too. Having serviced tanks for 5 years or so, I am sold that everyone should have a power outage plan in place. At a minimum a battery back up pump should be on the tank for aeration, which in the power outages I witnessed was usually the biggest cause of deaths.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Your tank is looking great Harry. Your power outage plan looks good too. Having serviced tanks for 5 years or so, I am sold that everyone should have a power outage plan in place. At a minimum a battery back up pump should be on the tank for aeration, which in the power outages I witnessed was usually the biggest cause of deaths.

Thanks! I hope-hope-hope 36 hours is a worst case scenario.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

I think if I had to I could go a week or two.

And wake up every few hours!

Heres a photo from just now. Side view, usually don't post that :)

IMG_0016_zpsrkq6wmn4.jpg

Sideways

IMG_0011_zpszk7zyxec.jpg

Frontal

IMG_0039_zps7q274tdn.jpg

• Like 7

And wake up every few hours!

Heres a photo from just now. Side view, usually don't post that :)

Sideways

Frontal

hqdefault_zpsraspwi46.jpg

• Like 1
HarryPotter

What do you use for power to the internet connection?

Great pics by the way, tank continues to look fantastic!

Thanks man, means a lot coming from you :)

I lose all contact with the Apex when the power goes out. However the apex continues to run normally- monitoring the tank, running the return pump, etc. I am planning on ordering a cheap UPS (Battery Backup) from eBay to connect to my router. Then I will get the Apex notification if the power goes out AND be able to monitor/control my tank w/o power.

• Like 1

Thanks man, means a lot coming from you :)

I lose all contact with the Apex when the power goes out. However the apex continues to run normally- monitoring the tank, running the return pump, etc. I am planning on ordering a cheap UPS (Battery Backup) from eBay to connect to my router. Then I will get the Apex notification if the power goes out AND be able to monitor/control my tank w/o power.

Same here. My tank is hard wired via house ethernet to my router but router and cable modem have no battery backup. I'm not sure why since we sure could take advantage of the internet while power is out, lots of battery operated devices around.

Half my tank is on a UPS, but the return pump is not, too much power. I keep circulation pumps and the Apex running, everything else shuts off.

HarryPotter

Same here. My tank is hard wired via house ethernet to my router but router and cable modem have no battery backup. I'm not sure why since we sure could take advantage of the internet while power is out, lots of battery operated devices around.

Half my tank is on a UPS, but the return pump is not, too much power. I keep circulation pumps and the Apex running, everything else shuts off.

Yeah a modem is very low power draw; all laptops, phones, and other devices would be on wifi if your modem was backed up for quite a few hours.

I have two batteries in my tank stand really; one for the Vortech and one for the apex system.

jedimasterben

What return pump are you using? Have you measured the wattage it pulls during normal operation?

• HarryPotter changed the title to Reefer 350