Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Might be a flow issue as it's been through many different light intensities and nutrient levels in the tank and it just steadily does it's encrusting thing.

Per the other major reef websites inquiries, no one else seems to have the true Vivid 'Northern Lights' variety (not even the original distributors). Ironically, possibly the only specimen left is healthy and slowly doing it's thing in a small nano tank.

This is what it is supposed to look like:

Northern-Lights-Granulosa.jpg

Nice, ya I googled it and saw nothing but branching corals ? Possible the only specimen left..........no pressure there......any spot that you can frag it from. Might be good to get another one going in a local reefers tank ?

• Like 3

hey what containers are these? i like them and they would look good under my cabinet to replace my stock bottles! i may need smaller ones though...

They are nice- a little over a gallon. I just drilled a hole in the cap and place a tube then drilled a little air hole so there is no vacuum.........here's the link

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/space-saver-jug-thin-4-liter-1-05-gallon.html

Ok, I have heard of those pumps. Equipment room- now that sounds fun. Remote- basement sump? Ya, I love Colorado- been here about 20 years now- I originally moved over to the western slope in Montrose by Telluride and it's a slow pace and beautiful over there. Denver is fun also - lots of outdoor activities for everyone

Basements are not common in this part of AZ. House will be a slab. I will be running high flex PVC just under the concrete slab. I'm planning on 2 larger tanks. An 80-100 gallon and a 200-300 gallon along with my 9 gallon nano of course. Equipment room will be about 6" below the normal floor height with a floor drain. Room will be 8'x10'. Lots of room for toys.

• Like 1

Might be a flow issue as it's been through many different light intensities and nutrient levels in the tank and it just steadily does it's encrusting thing.

Per the other major reef websites inquiries, no one else seems to have the true Vivid 'Northern Lights' variety (not even the original distributors). Ironically, possibly the only specimen left is healthy and slowly doing it's thing in a small nano tank.

This is what it is supposed to look like:

Northern-Lights-Granulosa.jpg

Nice, ya I googled it and saw nothing but branching corals Possible the only specimen left..........no pressure there......any spot that you can frag it from. Might be good to get another one going in a local reefers tank

No pressure :) I have a few people asking for frags, so I'll likely make a few when the weather warms in late spring.

• Like 1

Awesome- what's the plans for the biggest tank- corals or fish?

Both larger tanks will be reef tanks with a nice mixture of fish. I want a nice balance between the two. I've seen some tanks that are fish heavy and I think it takes away from the look of the corals. I also want more of an Iwagumi look for the largest tank. I am testing right now the marine pure media blocks in my 45 gallon and nano tank to see how well it removes nitrates. I am planning on using a Rubbermaid 150 gallon tub as my sump. If I can use the marine pure blocks to provide the bulk of my filtration, then I can minimize the rock work in the tank and make the shape and look that I want vs loading it up with lots of rock. I also experimented with reef cement in my nano tank to make an arch. I plan on using reef cement to make the rock structures.

• Like 1

Some shots from tonight

I've bumped up the light intensity and the ponape bird is looking better than ever- the purple tips are finally developing. It never looked this good under the AI nano light.

zaU0Kqx.jpg

Pavona getting all fuzzy

vQLOTCZ.jpg

Grafted cap

xDDfVMc.jpg

Setosa from the side

U8y7gup.jpg

Encrusting monti

yaxgZLf.jpg

Spongode

DRSoyjW.jpg

Season's greetings

BxQ1bXP.jpg

Both larger tanks will be reef tanks with a nice mixture of fish. I want a nice balance between the two. I've seen some tanks that are fish heavy and I think it takes away from the look of the corals. I also want more of an Iwagumi look for the largest tank. I am testing right now the marine pure media blocks in my 45 gallon and nano tank to see how well it removes nitrates. I am planning on using a Rubbermaid 150 gallon tub as my sump. If I can use the marine pure blocks to provide the bulk of my filtration, then I can minimize the rock work in the tank and make the shape and look that I want vs loading it up with lots of rock. I also experimented with reef cement in my nano tank to make an arch. I plan on using reef cement to make the rock structures.

Sounds like a solid plan- ya I used EMarco 400 to build my arch in the 50- pretty cool stuff and easy to work with

• Like 8

Sounds like a solid plan- ya I used EMarco 400 to build my arch in the 50- pretty cool stuff and easy to work with

Latest pictures look great. I want to get a Spongode at some point.

There is a place in Phoenix that sells the hydraulic cement that goes into the EMarco product. Some of the local guys have used it with excellent results. They also sell the polymer that you use in conjunction with the water. I will pick that up when the time comes for me to start on my rock work.

• Like 1

Latest pictures look great. I want to get a Spongode at some point.

There is a place in Phoenix that sells the hydraulic cement that goes into the EMarco product. Some of the local guys have used it with excellent results. They also sell the polymer that you use in conjunction with the water. I will pick that up when the time comes for me to start on my rock work.

Thanks! Ya, the EMarco is really easy to use. You need a link in your sig. to your nano- I guess I could take my own advice ? Spongodes are really cool- seems to be a quick grower. I am big fan of caps- love the growth pattern. We have a big reef show coming up at the end of the month so I am gonna look for a really nice acro to add ?
  • Like 1

Thanks! Ya, the EMarco is really easy to use. You need a link in your sig. to your nano- I guess I could take my own advice Spongodes are really cool- seems to be a quick grower. I am big fan of caps- love the growth pattern. We have a big reef show coming up at the end of the month so I am gonna look for a really nice acro to add

Signature updated.

I have a great local club. We have a meeting this Saturday. Every other month there is a huge coral auction. Typically 150+ corals at each auction.

• Like 1

Signature updated.

I have a great local club. We have a meeting this Saturday. Every other month there is a huge coral auction. Typically 150+ corals at each auction.

Dang, that is nice- must be lots of reefers in your area - alright going to check out your nano ?
Marc.The.Shark

Dude, that grafted cap is sweet! can't wait to see it in about 6 months! If you ever get drunk & decide to work in the tank & bust a piece off....well, you know!! lol, send it my way!

• Like 1

Dude, that grafted cap is sweet! can't wait to see it in about 6 months! If you ever get drunk & decide to work in the tank & bust a piece off....well, you know!! lol, send it my way!

Hahaha! Thanks man, you never know- but I am extra careful around that little beauty? It will be cool to see how the pattern grows out

Looking great Scott! Lets meet up!

-Dave

thanks Dave, I'll be flying back home Saturday night from Chicago and be at the show Sunday- maybe Sunday evening if your still around ?

The coral are really looking great Scott. This tank is really going to be a show piece when your coral grow some more!

Thanks Dawn, I am really liking how it's going. I am excited to place some Acros on the top portion of the scape- hopefully I'll find a nice one at the show next weekend ?

• Like 1

Some shots from tonight

I've bumped up the light intensity and the ponape bird is looking better than ever- the purple tips are finally developing. It never looked this good under the AI nano light.

zaU0Kqx.jpg

Pavona getting all fuzzy

vQLOTCZ.jpg

Grafted cap

xDDfVMc.jpg

Setosa from the side

U8y7gup.jpg

Encrusting monti

yaxgZLf.jpg

Spongode

DRSoyjW.jpg

Season's greetings

BxQ1bXP.jpg

Everything looks great, Scott! I missed a TON!

• Like 1