SaltCritters.com

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Wow, everything looks great! I really like that ponape bird, it's growing like crazy.

Thanks man! Ya, it's very happy and coloring up really nice- much better flow in this tank and the nanobox hybrid is really impressing me?

• Like 2

Getting some really good surface agitation ? I think this is great for par to be ever changing and not constant. You can run a little more than normal this way. In my Nuvo when checking with the par meter I would get a variance of 200+ depending on the surface agitation. Time to borrow the par meter again. Getting good gas exchange also

623e8b994bf7334a21036a85f7fc48ec_zpsauct

• Like 13

How much are you feeding in here? Corals looking great!

Thanks Mark, still nightly feeding just before the lights go off. A mixture of reef roids, reef chili, and a drop or two of photo feast and Roti feast. No fish in here yet so but I'll but in a few flakes every few days for the hermits and to keep the biological filter in good shape. Not running any carbon or GFO yet

Edit- using oyster feast instead of Roti

• Like 3

Just saw this now and looks like off to sweet start. I'm stealing a couple ideas from you;)

Thank you! Steal away ?. Yes things are going good so far. Almost done with the transfer and have a big reef show next weekend so I am looking for a few good acros ?

• Like 2

Thanks Mark, still nightly feeding just before the lights go off. A mixture of reef roids, reef chili, and a drop or two of photo feast and Roti feast. No fish in here yet so but I'll but in a few flakes every few days for the hermits and to keep the biological filter in good shape. Not running any carbon or GFO yet

Thanks for sharing, I'm really enjoying the vicarious learning I'm getting from Mark asking everybody about their feeding routines. :)

I'm curious, though, for the phyto and roti feast, do you mean literally one or two drops, or something more?

• Like 3

Just had to catch up. Looks great. What are your settings?

Thanks you, I am at 80% on my blues and 57% on my whites and 70-75% for my other colors. I run T5's for about 5 hours a day mid day. This seems to be getting a good response from everyone ?

Thanks for sharing, I'm really enjoying the vicarious learning I'm getting from Mark asking everybody about their feeding routines. :)

I'm curious, though, for the phyto and roti feast, do you mean literally one or two drops, or something more?

Yes. One or two drops a night- since I am mixing with everything else I don't apply the full amount they recommend. This has kept my tube worms and micro life flourishing. ?

Edit on the feeding- I am using oyster feast not Roti

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer. I just bought a bottle of Polyp Boost, made by the same people who make Reef Roids, from a LFS. Silly people around here don't know what's good. This stuff is crack cocaine, an orange liquid that turns to a fine smoke when it hits the water and the SPS go crazy. Too expensive to buy on a regular basis, IMO, but good if the tank needs fine food.

I need to learn to feed more and regularly, though probably not as much as I am now.

• Like 3

Thanks for the answer. I just bought a bottle of Polyp Boost, made by the same people who make Reef Roids, from a LFS. Silly people around here don't know what's good. This stuff is crack cocaine, an orange liquid that turns to a fine smoke when it hits the water and the SPS go crazy. Too expensive to buy on a regular basis, IMO, but good if the tank needs fine food.

I need to learn to feed more and regularly, though probably not as much as I am now.

Edit- I am feeding oyster feast and not Roti - oyster is more geared towards sps feeding. I haven't heard of that- thanks- I'll have to check it out. Do you keep it in the frig?

• Like 2

Edit- I am feeding oyster feast and not Roti - oyster is more geared towards sps feeding. I haven't heard of that- thanks- I'll have to check it out. Do you keep it in the frig?

Nope, I'd have to buy my own frig so I avoid anything that needs refrigeration. I was given the lower door shelf in our freezer for frozen food. :D

• Like 4

Hey Sk8. I know you have a big week ahead getting ready for Chicago, but when you get back I'm ready for a chunk of that green poci if you still want to send some my way. PM me a price. Hope you have an awesome meeting. Wish I could join you there.

• Like 1

Hey Sk8. I know you have a big week ahead getting ready for Chicago, but when you get back I'm ready for a chunk of that green poci if you still want to send some my way. PM me a price. Hope you have an awesome meeting. Wish I could join you there.

Ok, sounds good. I am on the road the first two weeks of March so it will probably have to wait till after that- no fee just cover shipping and we are good. I've never shipped before so I need to read up. I imagine I'll need a heat pack in there for 'em. How many you want - I have three but I can make more from the mother colony easy enough!

Ok, sounds good. I am on the road the first two weeks of March so it will probably have to wait till after that- no fee just cover shipping and we are good. I've never shipped before so I need to read up. I imagine I'll need a heat pack in there for 'em. How many you want - I have three but I can make more from the mother colony easy enough!

Two would be awesome. One for each side of the tank. Especially as fast as they seem to grow and spread around. Double bags, insulated box, 24 hour heat pack (I can send you one if you don't have any) overnight shipping. Easy. Lol.
  • Like 1

Two would be awesome. One for each side of the tank. Especially as fast as they seem to grow and spread around. Double bags, insulated box, 24 hour heat pack (I can send you one if you don't have any) overnight shipping. Easy. Lol.

Alright- you'll be my 1st experiment ? Mid March when I am home for a week and can ship on a Friday ?

• Like 2

Looking great!! I can't wait to see what you pick up at the reef show! I bet your skimmer will skim darker once your fish get moved over.

thanks Stellablue! yes I am excited about the show - I am gonna miss Saturday so hopefully there's a few Acros left. Some pretty heavy hitters coming in so I imagine ill be able to find some nice pieces?. ya, I was wondering about that too- I am a little worried about moving all 3 over at the same time but I imagine my biological filters is still strong because I am feeding every night and there are hermits and crabs and copods
  • Like 2

thanks Stellablue! yes I am excited about the show - I am gonna miss Saturday so hopefully there's a few Acros left. Some pretty heavy hitters coming in so I imagine ill be able to find some nice pieces. ya, I was wondering about that too- I am a little worried about moving all 3 over at the same time but I imagine my biological filters is still strong because I am feeding every night and there are hermits and crabs and copods

I bet you'll find better deals on Sunday though :) that's exciting.

I bet your biofilter will be good - that tank has been running for some time now and you're right - the daily feedings for sure are helping!

• Like 2

I bet you'll find better deals on Sunday though :) that's exciting.

I bet your biofilter will be good - that tank has been running for some time now and you're right - the daily feedings for sure are helping!

Yup, that's what I was thinking - Sunday could be "fire sale" day......."you know you don't want to ship that back home" ?
  • Like 4

Yup, that's what I was thinking - Sunday could be "fire sale" day......."you know you don't want to ship that back home"

EXACTLY!!!!!! Woo hoo! Can't WAIT to see what you come back with even more now :)

• Like 2

Hey Sk8n Reefer,

Check your PMs. I sent you a mod on how to fix your skimmer's micro bubble problem.

Water Dog

Awesome, thank you! I'll check it out tonight?

Did you do the mod to fix the skimmer? What is it? Mine also spits out micro bubbles from the blue tube. I have noticed I get micro bubbles in my display as well. I don't see them coming out of the returns, but I do see them coming out of the gyre?

• Like 1