inTank Media Baskets

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

The problem with a peninsula is that you have to go with a custom build. I am eyeing the Red Sea Reefer line, too, which is tempting because I have never done a tank with a sump before. So going custom with a totally new technique is a bit daunting...

Ya, they look so nice large though. The Red Sea's are cool- the tanks and stands are beautiful. I got to see one at a show - only bummer is the small ATO - you'll need to upgrade the water volume.

How did you end up positioning/programming the gyre?

I positioned it vertically in the corner and I am just running it at 50% continuous. I need to look at some of the other options now that the corals are in. It keeps things stirred up for the most part but I could bump it up to 60- maybe 70%

• Like 1

Yea monit looks good there, not much left in the Nuvo.

are you going to run both tank? maybe the nuvo as a frag tank?

Thanks, I'd like to keep it a species tank and let the pocillopora's take it over but Lisa is not having it ? I moved that larger stylo back over and the poci frags - I think I'll sell them out of the Nuvo. I still have a large rock with the large purple stylo and Idaho grape attached to it. I may try to put it in the back corner of the 50- raise it up off the sand.
  • Like 1

Got the Bubble Magus doser over today- pretty painless. Now to figure out my numbers ?

8ab69eb20723ed2139a1d744dd35f6b4_zpsszck

Just dont break it down.... then "store" some frags in it that you dont sell :)Ive gone from 1 tank to 2, and my partner hasnt said much haha

I've made the transfer take as long as I can ?. She's growing a little impatient though.......can't quite get her to commit to running her own which would be cool. Two tanks is a lot of work though kudos to those who have more than one ?

• Like 9

When was the last time you had to replace the heads on the bubble magus? mine need to be replaced they are not pumping what they should be thats for sure.

So far so good, I've have an extra pump and might just order two more. My units about a year old - how long did yours last?

• Like 1

The problem with a peninsula is that you have to go with a custom build. I am eyeing the Red Sea Reefer line, too, which is tempting because I have never done a tank with a sump before. So going custom with a totally new technique is a bit daunting...

I never had a sump. Set up the red sea reefer w/o instructions pretty easily and will never go back. So easy... Cant flood, has auto top off built in, everything.

• Like 2

When was the last time you had to replace the heads on the bubble magus? mine need to be replaced they are not pumping what they should be thats for sure.

I replaced the tubing on mine instead of replacing the entire pump head. It's not difficult to do. There are a couple of posts on how to do it online. Just don't use the grease as suggested. You don't need it. I got my tubing from Premium Aquatics.

• Like 1

I got my bubble magus second hand, i think it was a year old when i got it. Currently its set to 30ml 3 times per day which is actually about 40mls all up.

I checked my levels when I got it and it was spot on- I should check again. I test regularly though so if it's light I just add a little more

I never had a sump. Set up the red sea reefer w/o instructions pretty easily and will never go back. So easy... Cant flood, has auto top off built in, everything.

They are nice but I wouldn't be bragging up the ATO- sounds nice but pretty useless at its low volume.

I replaced the tubing on mine instead of replacing the entire pump head. It's not difficult to do. There are a couple of posts on how to do it online. Just don't use the grease as suggested. You don't need it. I got my tubing from Premium Aquatics.

The tubing got clogged? How did you know? You could hear the pump run? I haven't heard of this happening. They're so cheap right now- 189.00 at BRS I thought about picking up another one just in case. I keep an extra pump on hand

I checked my levels when I got it and it was spot on- I should check again. I test regularly though so if it's light I just add a little more

They are nice but I wouldn't be bragging up the ATO- sounds nice but pretty useless at its low volume.

The tubing got clogged? How did you know? You could hear the pump run? I haven't heard of this happening. They're so cheap right now- 189.00 at BRS I thought about picking up another one just in case. I keep an extra pump on hand

True on the ATO! Well some people love it- like Lawn. He fills every day or two. I will add on more- 10 or 30 gallons.

• Like 1
cowabunga-reefer

Hey- sorry missed your post- yes that's my backyard. I am an old hardcore skater-some of my buddies are the best skate park builders in the country so they helped and me and my buddies learned how to frame and finish the crete. It's been a fun project and I am still pouring - there will be more this summer! Do you skate?

I've been off the site a while. That is an insane backyard setup! pretty unreal. Yes, surf, skate, and snowboard. Not much snowboarding these days..way too many injuries from the old days. Most into surfing landlocked now so I try and skate more. Been getting into riding bowls and vert these days. Your tank is looking good as well

• Like 1

Just found your new tank/thread :)

Looking good!

Thanks Nano sapiens ? I've been slacking on adding it to my sig. It's been a fun build and the transfer is going good.....slow but that's ok! Almost ready to start challenging myself with some smooth skin acros ?. Need to dial in my doser now- dosing is a lot different with a larger volume of water- surprised how much it takes to move the needle

I've been off the site a while. That is an insane backyard setup! pretty unreal. Yes, surf, skate, and snowboard. Not much snowboarding these days..way too many injuries from the old days. Most into surfing landlocked now so I try and skate more. Been getting into riding bowls and vert these days. Your tank is looking good as well

Thanks man, it's been a fun bowl to build for sure- tons of hard work but it's a labor of love. We poured our own coping blocks too? That's awesome your skating bowls now. Do you have a good park nearby- they're popping up everywhere these days! Thanks on the tank too- I have big plans for this one- hopefully I don't blow it ?

• Like 1

Thanks Nano sapiens I've been slacking on adding it to my sig. It's been a fun build and the transfer is going good.....slow but that's ok! Almost ready to start challenging myself with some smooth skin acros . Need to dial in my doser now- dosing is a lot different with a larger volume of water- surprised how much it takes to move the needle

Speaking of 'smooth-skins', I have a Ganulosa that's been slowly encrusting for many years now and won't do anything else. They are certainly a bit different...

• Like 1
cowabunga-reefer

Thanks man, it's been a fun bowl to build for sure- tons of hard work but it's a labor of love. We poured our own coping blocks too That's awesome your skating bowls now. Do you have a good park nearby- they're popping up everywhere these days! Thanks on the tank too- I have big plans for this one- hopefully I don't blow it

yeah, was living in Hermosa Beach, Ca...so tons of skate parks all around. I was surfing so much though I didn't take advantage as much as I should have. Now living in Pittsburgh and found two pretty good parks. One actually is really good. Tony Hawk funded it I think

• Like 1

Speaking of 'smooth-skins', I have a Ganulosa that's been slowly encrusting for many years now and won't do anything else. They are certainly a bit different...

For many years without branching? Interesting - why do you think that is? Flow? It must not need to reach for the light. Has it been beat up over the years- sps tend to not win many wars with other corals from my experience ?

yeah, was living in Hermosa Beach, Ca...so tons of skate parks all around. I was surfing so much though I didn't take advantage as much as I should have. Now living in Pittsburgh and found two pretty good parks. One actually is really good. Tony Hawk funded it I think

Ya, you were in the meca ? From Cali to Pit- that's a big change

• Like 1

I bought my doser used. When I tested the flow, it was way off on 2 of the pumps. So I decided to open one of the pump heads. The tubing was in bad shape, so I replaced them. In the future I am going to get a Spectrapure pump setup to use for my dosing needs. I'm using a Spectrapure for my AWC on my 45 gallon setup. Great pumps and accurate.

• Like 1

I bought my doser used. When I tested the flow, it was way off on 2 of the pumps. So I decided to open one of the pump heads. The tubing was in bad shape, so I replaced them. In the future I am going to get a Spectrapure pump setup to use for my dosing needs. I'm using a Spectrapure for my AWC on my 45 gallon setup. Great pumps and accurate.

I am not aware of spectrapure pumps. I have one of theirs RODI units and its solid and has been running for years. I'll have to check out their pumps ?

I am not aware of spectrapure pumps. I have one of theirs RODI units and its solid and has been running for years. I'll have to check out their pumps

Look at their Litermeter III systems. They are not inexpensive, but they are accurate and solid. The nice thing for me is that they are close, only 45 minutes away. I am building a custom home with a remote aquarium equipment room. I will be going to their office at some point to discuss my equipment needs.

Forgot to mention, I lived in CO for almost 18 years. I was in the Loveland area. My youngest son still lives in CO, in the Denver area. He works at DIA.

• Like 1

For many years without branching? Interesting - why do you think that is? Flow? It must not need to reach for the light. Has it been beat up over the years- sps tend to not win many wars with other corals from my experience

Might be a flow issue as it's been through many different light intensities and nutrient levels in the tank and it just steadily does it's encrusting thing.

Per the other major reef websites inquiries, no one else seems to have the true Vivid 'Northern Lights' variety (not even the original distributors). Ironically, possibly the only specimen left is healthy and slowly doing it's thing in a small nano tank.

This is what it is supposed to look like:

Northern-Lights-Granulosa.jpg

...mine just looks like an underwater asparagus stick under LEDs...

• Like 2

Got the Bubble Magus doser over today- pretty painless. Now to figure out my numbers

8ab69eb20723ed2139a1d744dd35f6b4_zpsszck

hey what containers are these? i like them and they would look good under my cabinet to replace my stock bottles! i may need smaller ones though...

• Like 1

Look at their Litermeter III systems. They are not inexpensive, but they are accurate and solid. The nice thing for me is that they are close, only 45 minutes away. I am building a custom home with a remote aquarium equipment room. I will be going to their office at some point to discuss my equipment needs. Forgot to mention, I lived in CO for almost 18 years. I was in the Loveland area. My youngest son still lives in CO, in the Denver area. He works at DIA.

Ok, I have heard of those pumps. Equipment room- now that sounds fun. Remote- basement sump? Ya, I love Colorado- been here about 20 years now- I originally moved over to the western slope in Montrose by Telluride and it's a slow pace and beautiful over there. Denver is fun also - lots of outdoor activities for everyone ?
  • Like 2