Pod Your Reef

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Looking good, I really like Setosas, hopefully I can find one at some point. :)

Thanks man, they are fairly common over here but definitely a beautiful coral that's adds a real blast of color. Interesting growth pattern too ?

Parameter test Alk-6 Ca.-420 Mg.-1260. Dosing for all three. I'd like them to be Alk.-7 Ca. 450 and Mg. 1300. Dose and retest tomorrow

Well, your tank is better than mine. I tested today and alk.- 6 Ca 350 and Mg 1200. I dosed and will test again tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

Well, your tank is better than mine. I tested today and alk.- 6 Ca 350 and Mg 1200. I dosed and will test again tomorrow as well.

Hahahaha! Maybe you got the bug ?kinda fun seeing how your tank changes daily. It can be pretty amazing to see usage.

• Like 1

Yes, it is interesting. I don't have many sps or coral with skeletons. I don't and never had had much coraline algae so all I can figure is it must be my calcareous algae that are using it up.

• Like 1

Yes, it is interesting. I don't have many sps or coral with skeletons. I don't and never had had much coraline algae so all I can figure is it must be my calcareous algae that are using it up.

Cool- it will be interesting to see what your daily consumption will be- keep me posted ? I wonder if your corals will use more Mg. as compared to Ca. And Alk.

• Like 1

Cool- it will be interesting to see what your daily consumption will be- keep me posted I wonder if your corals will use more Mg. as compared to Ca. And Alk.

Yes that is what I have been noticing for awhile now that my Mg usage is up. That is actually what tipped me off that things were not quite right. When I did my water change yesterday, I just indescrimately dosed a capful of Mg since I know the tank uses more of that. (I know, that is a terrible practice, dosing without testing). Anyway when I got upstairs and saw the tank I notice there was a slight precipitating so that moved me to check my levels. I was actually glad that everything although low was pretty much equally low. Nothing was really out of whack. Using IO and doing the big water changes that I do I think helps keep things constant if not a bit low.

• Like 1

What are you murdering? Come here and do some murdering please.

Ouch! ?Just the opposite actually. I killed a new acro addition dipping in Revive. After reading up and people telling me bayer is actually really easy on the acros and hard on bugs so I am gonna try it.
  • Like 2

Yes that is what I have been noticing for awhile now that my Mg usage is up. That is actually what tipped me off that things were not quite right. When I did my water change yesterday, I just indescrimately dosed a capful of Mg since I know the tank uses more of that. (I know, that is a terrible practice, dosing without testing). Anyway when I got upstairs and saw the tank I notice there was a slight precipitating so that moved me to check my levels. I was actually glad that everything although low was pretty much equally low. Nothing was really out of whack. Using IO and doing the big water changes that I do I think helps keep things constant if not a bit low.

Thanks for the update- interesting on the Mg. usage. You can have a fairly large range for Mg. so adding some in here and there shouldn't be a problem?. How much saltwater are you mixing at a time now with that basement sump. I am mixing about 25-40g. Now and I am dosing Alk,Ca. And Mg. to make it the same as the tank so it should be easy on the corals when I do a w/c- that's my theory anyway ?. With the 50 I am doing larger ones- 5-10gal. So I want parameters to be spot on........I am still doing daily 1 gal. In the Nuvo(when I am in town)

• Like 1

Thanks for the update- interesting on the Mg. usage. You can have a fairly large range for Mg. so adding some in here and there shouldn't be a problem. How much saltwater are you mixing at a time now with that basement sump. I am mixing about 25-40g. Now and I am dosing Alk,Ca. And Mg. to make it the same as the tank so it should be easy on the corals when I do a w/c- that's my theory anyway . With the 50 I am doing larger ones- 5-10gal. So I want parameters to be spot on........I am still doing daily 1 gal. In the Nuvo(when I am in town)

So Scott, do you test the tank, then make the water and dose the water change to match the tank?

I make a brute can of RO/DI and mix salt in the can. I guess that is probably 30 gallons or so but i use that for the whole weeks worth of WCs. When I empty the sump to do a change I measured it to be about 7 gallons. Yesterday I did 2 of those for a total of 14 gallons and I had done 7 gallons on Monday because I was a bit behind on water changes last week. I try to do 21 gallons every week but some weeks I do 28 gallons. With my bowfont only being 36 gallons and some of that is displaced and the sump being 20 but it doesn't run full I am guessing the whole systems has 45-48 gallons of water. Anyway thats better than a third every week. (You can see why I wanted to make it so I don't have to carry and lift, yes?) Anyway with using IO salt which is close to NSW it makes sense that my parameters are low because even the freshly mixed salt is lower than some folks want. Just curious, what salt do you use?

• Like 2

So Scott, do you test the tank, then make the water and dose the water change to match the tank?

I make a brute can of RO/DI and mix salt in the can. I guess that is probably 30 gallons or so but i use that for the whole weeks worth of WCs. When I empty the sump to do a change I measured it to be about 7 gallons. Yesterday I did 2 of those for a total of 14 gallons and I had done 7 gallons on Monday because I was a bit behind on water changes last week. I try to do 21 gallons every week but some weeks I do 28 gallons. With my bowfont only being 36 gallons and some of that is displaced and the sump being 20 but it doesn't run full I am guessing the whole systems has 45-48 gallons of water. Anyway thats better than a third every week. (You can see why I wanted to make it so I don't have to carry and lift, yes?) Anyway with using IO salt which is close to NSW it makes sense that my parameters are low because even the freshly mixed salt is lower than some folks want. Just curious, what salt do you use?

I am using Kent salt - which has elevated Ca. And Mg. you might want to consider a salt that does that for you. I love your w/c schedule- very good! Yes, I test my tank then adjust my water container to match. I also check salinity throughout the week and add daily ( or every few days) amounts of fresh water to the mixing salt. I keep a powerhead stirring it up contiuniously so I do get evaporation. I also run a heater in there so that is the same as my tanks also. I don't test the Nuvo every time I do a w/c cause I have the doser and that keeps thing consistent.

I picked up the Milwaukee digital refractory cause of the simplicity of it. It makes test salinity a snap so I have no issues testing it regularly. My most important number is Alk. So I will test that also before a do a large w/c in the 50- even if I had it perfect earlier in the week.

• Like 2

Ouch! Just the opposite actually. I killed a new acro addition dipping in Revive. After reading up and people telling me bayer is actually really easy on the acros and hard on bugs so I am gonna try it.

Did it work? Any links to share?

• Like 1

Did it work? Any links to share?

I didn't pick up any new coral on my lfs visit- I amazingly showed some restraint ? Google Bayer coral dip or search for it on here- there is a ton of information around about it. Plenty of member on here use it and have great results. I'll let ya know how it goes when I do!

• Like 1

I am using Kent salt - which has elevated Ca. And Mg. you might want to consider a salt that does that for you. I love your w/c schedule- very good! Yes, I test my tank then adjust my water container to match. I also check salinity throughout the week and add daily ( or every few days) amounts of fresh water to the mixing salt. I keep a powerhead stirring it up contiuniously so I do get evaporation. I also run a heater in there so that is the same as my tanks also. I don't test the Nuvo every time I do a w/c cause I have the doser and that keeps thing consistent.

I picked up the Milwaukee digital refractory cause of the simplicity of it. It makes test salinity a snap so I have no issues testing it regularly. My most important number is Alk. So I will test that also before a do a large w/c in the 50- even if I had it perfect earlier in the week.

I specifically asked what salt you use because I have been contemplating changing for the reasons you stated. I know that my tank is using a little Ca and a fair amount of Mg. What does Kent salt mix to in Alk., Ca and Mg? I am not wanting to go a huge amount higher than NSW.

Like you I keep a powerhead in my brute can circulating but I place a lid on my can so the salinity stays constant because there really isn't evaporation. I use a swing arm hydrometer and i know most folks do not like those but my boss did tank accounts for years and then i took them over always using one and never had a problem with lfs accounts or my own tank. I don't need a heater because the tank water is cool to start with and if anything the pump running in the brute can warms the water slightly more than the tank.

• Like 1

I specifically asked what salt you use because I have been contemplating changing for the reasons you stated. I know that my tank is using a little Ca and a fair amount of Mg. What does Kent salt mix to in Alk., Ca and Mg? I am not wanting to go a huge amount higher than NSW.

Like you I keep a powerhead in my brute can circulating but I place a lid on my can so the salinity stays constant because there really isn't evaporation. I use a swing arm hydrometer and i know most folks do not like those but my boss did tank accounts for years and then i took them over always using one and never had a problem with lfs accounts or my own tank. I don't need a heater because the tank water is cool to start with and if anything the pump running in the brute can warms the water slightly more than the tank.

Kent mixes to around 8-9 alk. about 480-500ca. and around 1250mg. pretty routinely. I don't think many people use it but I really like it- mixes clean and is very stable. I put a top on but leave it cracked so I get some air exchange. If the swing arm works for you - and it obviously does - then that's all you need ?
  • Like 1
cowabunga-reefer

Wooah! This is at your house?? Your own private skate pools?!

The pool is sad and lonely- I've never let the snow stay this long. The collarbone is healing quick and almost ready. Maybe another month and I can start to skate (slowly) and clean it all out. It's sketchy shoveling it out when it's this full- I have to tie a rope to a tree and throw it in so I can climb out. When the side walls get covered you slip trying to get out depends 11ft (that's were I took the sailor dive to my shoulder) and the shallow is still 6ft.

8ad5f67732a3566b35e9d86669675e78_zpsiusg

Smaller section

eb60d3f8369fe987ee9e6b5adca56252_zpsdpzk

• Like 3
thecoralbeauty

Thanks man, they are fairly common over here but definitely a beautiful coral that's adds a real blast of color. Interesting growth pattern too

yea, i got mine from AA- did you get yours there too? I haven't seen him stock that color frag, like ever.

• Like 1

Wooah! This is at your house?? Your own private skate pools?!

The pool is sad and lonely- I've never let the snow stay this long. The collarbone is healing quick and almost ready. Maybe another month and I can start to skate (slowly) and clean it all out. It's sketchy shoveling it out when it's this full- I have to tie a rope to a tree and throw it in so I can climb out. When the side walls get covered you slip trying to get out depends 11ft (that's were I took the sailor dive to my shoulder) and the shallow is still 6ft.8ad5f67732a3566b35e9d86669675e78_zpsiusg

Smaller sectioneb60d3f8369fe987ee9e6b5adca56252_zpsdpzk

Hey- sorry missed your post- yes that's my backyard. I am an old hardcore skater-some of my buddies are the best skate park builders in the country so they helped and me and my buddies learned how to frame and finish the crete. It's been a fun project and I am still pouring - there will be more this summer! Do you skate?
  • Like 1

yea, i got mine from AA- did you get yours there too? I haven't seen him stock that color frag, like ever.

I actually got mine at reef stock a year ago. I think the place was called Reef Koi. It's been on my frag rack in the Nuvo all that time and was barely hanging on due to lack of strong lighting. Now in the 50g. It's doing much better even though I haven't ramped up the lights yet.

• Like 1

Transferred over my pink cats paw stylo last night just before the lights when off. I'll get some better pics later today and see how it is settling in. No PE yet

MC87nTu.jpg

Birdsnest

RiZKdV6.jpg

Spongode- love the green skin

4frJ154.jpg

UKtK7Ke.jpg

My little "volunteer frags" (thanks for the term Teeny) cruising along

Season's

3V6zfEM.jpg

Red monti

avkEJE4.jpg

Stylo fit perfectly on the rock facing the side or opposite of how it was in the Nuvo. From the front it's showing some bad areas so that will look better once it comes back ?

GAP1VPU.jpg

Fts

Zln3476.jpg

I like this shot- 2 tanks - love the Nuvo reflection ?

XmRUTjx.jpg

• Like 9