SaltCritters.com

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

That reflection is awesome!

So cool. It looks like the Nuvo is behind the tank!

Thanks ? that is a pretty cool shot !

tank is filling up! looks great!

Thanks! I know I am getting worried once the caps and purple stylo come over its gonna fill really quick. I'll still have room up top for acros- that's the plan atleast. It will be a fun rescape though ?

• Like 1

I didn't pick up any new coral on my lfs visit- I amazingly showed some restraint Google Bayer coral dip or search for it on here- there is a ton of information around about it. Plenty of member on here use it and have great results. I'll let ya know how it goes when I do!

apparently konk residue worked wonders on pods that were on my frags because they died out when I put them into a container so I could clean the tank. I even washed the container before.... I should get some new containers for my cleaning/feeding/dipping.

• Like 1

apparently konk residue worked wonders on pods that were on my frags because they died out when I put them into a container so I could clean the tank. I even washed the container before.... I should get some new containers for my cleaning/feeding/dipping.

Ya, I am a bit crazy when it comes to using containers. I keep separate for RO/DI, w/c's and dipping ? I rinse everything with RO or distilled- never tap water ?

• Like 3

Ya, I am a bit crazy when it comes to using containers. I keep separate for RO/DI, w/c's and dipping I rinse everything with RO or distilled- never tap water

Not crazy it is called ANAL :lol: I try and use the same stuff also.

• Like 2

I think it was just my stupidity when I was attacking the ants in the bathroom that I got the plastic contaminated. Its a lesson learned. I need to make more RODI and Salt this week. I am going to my mums tomorrow, taking my 10 gallon to turn it into a sort of 7 gallon breeder. - starting my frag tank build.

• Like 1

I think it was just my stupidity when I was attacking the ants in the bathroom that I got the plastic contaminated. Its a lesson learned. I need to make more RODI and Salt this week. I am going to my mums tomorrow, taking my 10 gallon to turn it into a sort of 7 gallon breeder. - starting my frag tank build.

Frag tank sounds fun! New frags or to frag your existing corals?

nice tank and pics, good white balance, you using some F1.8 macro or something?

Thank you- it ranges from f4-8 sometimes up to f13-16 depending on where I am shooting in the tank. I usually shoot the same shot in various f positions

Somehow I missed you informing us of the new thread. Following along now. :)

I don't have a red one but good luck getting it to do anything except sit there. :D Mine did put on a growth spurt, about 1/8 of an inch maybe, before it got mad about something and stopped. Maybe I'll have better luck now that I cleaned up the tank.

• Like 4

Somehow I missed you informing us of the new thread. Following along now. :)

I don't have a red one but good luck getting it to do anything except sit there. :D Mine did put on a growth spurt, about 1/8 of an inch maybe, before it got mad about something and stopped. Maybe I'll have better luck now that I cleaned up the tank.

Thanks Mark- glad you found the thread- I am slacking on adding it to my signature. The red stylo has been a steady grower- not fast but steady- it's was a small 1" a little over a year ago. The purple stylo is a much quicker grower though. The nightly feedings have to help ?
  • Like 2

1:00am and my ATO alarm just went off.......return pump died. ? Pulled it out and it has a bunch of build up on it. Breaking it down and cleaning now. Pulled the heater out of the return and put placed it back in the tank for the night. The gyre is running so things should be fine for the night. Strange thing though- my protein skimmer pump died too. To late to pull that one - gonna have to wait till morning. Guess I am going to lfs tomorrow

Big maintenance day yesterday. Dialing in my light and making some good adjustments. Since my return pump failed I bought a new a return pump Sicce 2.0 @ 568gph it's quite a bit less than the 3.0 ( 700+) and the system is handling it better.

So the protein skimmer pump failed too so I placed an order with SC Aquariums for a new pump. Not sure what went on having both pumps fail at the same time but it is suspicious?

Used this opportunity to vacuum out the sump and clean it all up

image.jpg1_zps5pxwdbiq.jpg

Got it all cleaned up ang changed out 8 gal. In the process

image.jpg2_zpsqckfglap.jpg

Restocked on my chemicals ?

image.jpg4_zpsokhqgsmb.jpg

The tank ran almost a full day without the sump- moved heater up into display to keep things stable

image.jpg3_zpslhhmpb8q.jpg

Get some better shots today ?

• Like 9

Looking good! I have that same pump in mine and I love it. Completely quiet.

Things are looking NICE! It is really cool to see some of those colonies in your tank. I missed a lot of updates :blush:

• Like 1

That shot from the top down looks great! It doesn't appear that having the return pump down hurt anything. I also have a SCA skimmer and my pump in it also died and needed replaced. I don't think their pumps are very good although the skimmer works great. I actually do a WC and don't turn the skimmer off, (I just tune down how high the bubbles are) to save the pump since I don't trust it anymore. It costs me $60 to replace and it was only 6 mos old.

• Like 1

Looking good! I have that same pump in mine and I love it. Completely quiet.

Things are looking NICE! It is really cool to see some of those colonies in your tank. I missed a lot of updates :blush:

Thanks! Ya, I really like this sump- would like a little bigger though - I thought you had the SC aquarium sump- did I miss you changing it out? Hopefully your skimmer pump last longer than mine........wait- it already has ?. I know- I can't wait to see the green cap over there- gonna be cool?

• Like 1

That shot from the top down looks great! It doesn't appear that having the return pump down hurt anything. I also have a SCA skimmer and my pump in it also died and needed replaced. I don't think their pumps are very good although the skimmer works great. I actually do a WC and don't turn the skimmer off, (I just tune down how high the bubbles are) to save the pump since I don't trust it anymore. It costs me $60 to replace and it was only 6 mos old.

Thanks TOTM ???. Ya it pretty much ran like a sumpless cube for a day- everyone stayed pretty happy. That worries me about their pumps. I ordered one last night - 54.00 on sale- probably should of got 2. With the inlet being so large (part that hooks to air on the skimmer ) not sure of another pump to upgrade it. Maybe that would be a good thread- I am sure someone found one to upgrade with

• Like 3

Thanks! Ya, I really like this sump- would like a little bigger though - I thought you had the SC aquarium sump- did I miss you changing it out? Hopefully your skimmer pump last longer than mine........wait- it already has . I know- I can't wait to see the green cap over there- gonna be cool

I do have the SCA sump! I love it. It takes up the whole cabinet, but I'm liking the space for sure.

And LOL. did you buy your skimmer new? I can't remember.

• Like 1

I do have the SCA sump! I love it. It takes up the whole cabinet, but I'm liking the space for sure.

And LOL. did you buy your skimmer new? I can't remember.

I found my tank on Craigslist - brand new never wet. I got the tank,stand and skimmer for 300.00- had to do it. I was looking at a larger cube but when this came up I had to pull the trigger. So the skimmer was new. Since I didn't get the sump I bought the Eshoppes RS-75. Super quiet but a little small- I'd love for it to be wider. With the skimmer and reactor in there it's pretty full ?
  • Like 2

I found my tank on Craigslist - brand new never wet. I got the tank,stand and skimmer for 300.00- had to do it. I was looking at a larger cube but when this came up I had to pull the trigger. So the skimmer was new. Since I didn't get the sump I bought the Eshoppes RS-75. Super quiet but a little small- I'd love for it to be wider. With the skimmer and reactor in there it's pretty full

oh gotcha. Yeah, that's an awesome price!

Well, as long as you have enough room for the equipment you want to run, I say it's perfect :)

• Like 1