SaltCritters.com

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Thanks TOTM . Ya it pretty much ran like a sumpless cube for a day- everyone stayed pretty happy. That worries me about their pumps. I ordered one last night - 54.00 on sale- probably should of got 2. With the inlet being so large (part that hooks to air on the skimmer ) not sure of another pump to upgrade it. Maybe that would be a good thread- I am sure someone found one to upgrade with

That would be a great thread as I have read of several folks whose pumps died on them.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the return failure and the LFS trip for nothing but supplies. :tears: I hope you bought some corals. :lol:

Nope second trip without livestock ?. Really need to complete my transfer before I start on some acros. Now my light is fully functional so I should be able to begin again ?

really digging the solution to the shadowing problems in the nuvo... really digging it.

Yes, it's a sweet light! The T5's balance everything out ?

• Like 3

What brand was the return pump that failed?

That FTS from the bottom looks great. ;)

Thanks Mark, it was a Sicce also- I was surprised. They've always been reliable for me. It was pretty dirty and some GFO was in the sump and on the pump from when I first started my reactor so that got into it. I took it all apart and cleaned it. I'll try to get it running this week and have it as a back up

• Like 2

Thanks Mark, it was a Sicce also- I was surprised. They've always been reliable for me. It was pretty dirty and some GFO was in the sump and on the pump from when I first started my reactor so that got into it. I took it all apart and cleaned it. I'll try to get it running this week and have it as a back up

Yea, I've heard they are very reliable. I run the GFO reactor into a bucket for a few minutes. Lazy way to do a small water change as well. :) My reactor outputs are in the middle chamber with my skimmer and usually nothing makes it up and over into the return chamber ... usually. If you have to get yet another pump consider Eheim, these things are tanks.

• Like 1

Yea, I've heard they are very reliable. I run the GFO reactor into a bucket for a few minutes. Lazy way to do a small water change as well. :) My reactor outputs are in the middle chamber with my skimmer and usually nothing makes it up and over into the return chamber ... usually. If you have to get yet another pump consider Eheim, these things are tanks.

Good point on the reactor and w/c's- I'll have to try that next time ?

I have a sicce 2.0, mine was running on my 29 for some time and ive been using it to mix my salt. Mine sometimes wont work right away for some reason. I put it in the bucket, plug it in, nothing. Cant even feel the motor churning. Bang it around, unplug and plug back in five times later it will work. Overall the pump is great but randomly not starting is odd.

• Like 2

I have a sicce 2.0, mine was running on my 29 for some time and ive been using it to mix my salt. Mine sometimes wont work right away for some reason. I put it in the bucket, plug it in, nothing. Cant even feel the motor churning. Bang it around, unplug and plug back in five times later it will work. Overall the pump is great but randomly not starting is odd.

Argh, that's not good. I've had really good luck with them over the years and this was the 1st issue I've had.

So this Mille has turned around big time. Back in mid Jan. I moved him from the Nuvo cause he was wasting away and all brown- skin and polyps

eL2cCLl.jpg

This week it's developed some green skin and making a dramatic comeback...........hope it continues ?

EH90NVo.jpg

• Like 10

Good luck with the Mille, while there are polyps there is hope. :) What colour is it meant to turn?

Not sure- it was always brown and had a little green just on the tips before. It was cheap so I went for it. It lost its green tips in the Nuvo but always had good PE. Then about 3 months ago it started to decline and recede. Hopefully it will keep improving ?. The green skin is definitely a surprise

• Like 4

That is a huge improvement with the mille. That will be cool if it makes a complete recovery....I love a happy ending! :-)

I know it would be nice to see it flourish. Welcome back from Vacation!

• Like 2

I know it would be nice to see it flourish. Welcome back from Vacation!

Thanks Scott! Vacation was awesome and being with family was even awesomer but its good to be home!

• Like 1

Nice to see the milli turn around. Interesting green on it, I wonder what color it will end up?

Ya, it's interesting that it never colored up in the Nuvo- maybe only running two spectrums- blues and whites?

some more updates- I am increase my lighting intensity "slightly" and corals are looking happy. Time to borrow the par meter- It's be nice to know where things are at

Pink stylo

HLM8w7L.jpg

The little digitata pieces coloring up with some blue polyps ?. They're under/next to the pink Stylo

mecbCxd.jpg

Fts

oKaWp4v.jpg

• Like 8

Looking great man, still planning to bring pretty much everything left from the nuvo over or convince the mrs. you need both tanks ;)

Glad to see the pump failures weren't overly horrible, way better then my luck with pumps. The skimmer run an Atman 2000 or something like that? Bubble magus makes their own version that should be a direct replacement I believe, I want to say it is the rock ph-2000 or something like that lol Also you if you want to spend the time to actually do it find the size of the current pump and size it up that way with other needlewheel pumps. I am thinking about swapping out a couple of my atman pumps for something else just not sure what and haven't had the time to figure it out yet but would like a DC that is controllable and lower energy usage.

• Like 1

Looking great man, still planning to bring pretty much everything left from the nuvo over or convince the mrs. you need both tanks ;)

Glad to see the pump failures weren't overly horrible, way better then my luck with pumps. The skimmer run an Atman 2000 or something like that? Bubble magus makes their own version that should be a direct replacement I believe, I want to say it is the rock ph-2000 or something like that lol Also you if you want to spend the time to actually do it find the size of the current pump and size it up that way with other needlewheel pumps. I am thinking about swapping out a couple of my atman pumps for something else just not sure what and haven't had the time to figure it out yet but would like a DC that is controllable and lower energy usage.

Thanks Chris! I am gonna bring the caps and encrusting monti's, purple stylo over......not sure what I am gonna do with the large green poci- but it's not going in the 50g?. Might have to saw the big colony off - my wife wants to keep the rock and transfer it to the 50 though- our tail spot lives in the hole in the rock?. Once the transfer is complete I can start to pick up some smooth skin acros.

Ya, not sure what pumps would work with the skimmer- theirs has the large intake pipe that fits the skimmer air injector. I need to take pics and post it up- I am sure someone has upgraded to a different pump. Skimmer pump showed up tonight- pretty quick as I just ordered it Monday. They emailed and sent tracking number right away- I am impressed with their customer service.

• Like 3

Thanks Chris! I am gonna bring the caps and encrusting monti's, purple stylo over......not sure what I am gonna do with the large green poci- but it's not going in the 50g. Might have to saw the big colony off - my wife wants to keep the rock and transfer it to the 50 though- our tail spot lives in the hole in the rock. Once the transfer is complete I can start to pick up some smooth skin acros.

Ya, not sure what pumps would work with the skimmer- theirs has the large intake pipe that fits the skimmer air injector. I need to take pics and post it up- I am sure someone has upgraded to a different pump. Skimmer pump showed up tonight- pretty quick as I just ordered it Monday. They emailed and sent tracking number right away- I am impressed with their customer service.

Saw it off and epoxy over the green poci, and trade it in :lol:

Yeah not to sure on the pumps either other then the bubble magus version. Which skimmer do you have 301 or 302? I think I have a 302 but unsure of what you mean about the large intake pipe, does't really seem like anything on it is very large lol

• Like 1

Saw it off and epoxy over the green poci, and trade it in :lol:

Yeah not to sure on the pumps either other then the bubble magus version. Which skimmer do you have 301 or 302? I think I have a 302 but unsure of what you mean about the large intake pipe, does't really seem like anything on it is very large lol

Ya, that's what I am probably gonna do- maybe break it into smaller pieces too......but it's going away?

I have the 301 model-This part of the pump seems unusually large and not what I see on most pumps- the skimmers (blue piece) fits over this piece

b1d2f9425748a72ebc67bf5fa885c9cc_zpsdgmc

Here's another pic- the (red arrow) part fits over the inlet of the pump(black arrow)

71b6c83ac69a6f1a76dc8a03eb18a5a4_zpsgj0d

I went to a lfs and tried to find a different pump to fit and did not have any success with that. Mine is a 302. I would love to find a different pump that would fit however. SCA did send me another out pronto however and I appreciated that.

• Like 1