Cultivated Reef

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

Did you do the mod to fix the skimmer? What is it? Mine also spits out micro bubbles from the blue tube. I have noticed I get micro bubbles in my display as well. I don't see them coming out of the returns, but I do see them coming out of the gyre?

No mod fix yet - Water Dog sent me a link to a mod that I will do as soon as I am home from my two week tour in Chicago. I didn't want to do it and leave for a week at a time and make my " reluctant reefer" wife keep an eye on it. Really simple- I'll PM you the link here in a minute!

What did you get at the swap?

I ended up with 4 SWEET sps frags- I'll post up here in a bit. Off to grab a quick bite in the hotel restaurant

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

Ok, Reefstock was a cool event! Fairly small still on the scale of things but it is a nice event to see hard good manufactures and live coral vendors that you normally can only reach by the Internet. I wasn't able to make it Saturday since I was out of town but I did make it Sunday and the prices of frags kept dropping as the show dwindled down. So the last hour I went and made my selections. Pretty much got everything at half off- funny how that happens? I ended up with 4 sps frags and I got some really good prices on them. These were the nicest pieces I found throughout the show so I was stoked to bring them home. Hopefully I can take care of them and grow them into some beautiful pieces. I was able to remove all pieces from their plugs and reglue onto some rock.

Reef pets bubblegum Mille - love this coral purple with the blue tip. I lost my original colony last year during a rtn episode.

ZGR4XHO.jpg

Reef pets Pink blast- light pink body with darker pink polyps

Nw7jOg2.jpg

Jason Fox Red Shortcake- this was a strikingly red color coral- browned a little from the dip. I have high hopes for this one

6KrUVBy.jpg

WWC Christmas Mirabillis-very similar to a red planet

krd2Em3.jpg

These shots are taken right after I dipped and placed them in the tank. The colors are faded a little but I am hoping they will recover fairly soon.

Here's some more random shots. I am stoked to get some sps in the upper section of the tank ?

Pavona- the PE on this coral is ridiculous

eGrplmO.jpg

bVtavcM.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest- continues to look amazing with the purple tips

HbVtq53.jpg

nMvhEfb.jpg

Setosa from the side

P0PwNM8.jpg

Unknown frag- it was almost a goner but continues to morph. Originally came back and started to show a green skin now some of the polyps are turning green also. Hope I can keep it going?

AQ5EhDN.jpg

Same shot with 3 different areas of focus ?

hNTWm8Q.jpg

yYSjxHD.jpg

QyzY9cW.jpg

Blue polyp digi

5v071IX.jpg

Spongnoid

JXvv5bu.jpg

Mango tango

K7MC0OM.jpg

FTS- 2/28/16

DK8hjzi.jpg

1st time using Bayer - kept the corals in for 15min. and kept blasting over them with the baster. Skim milk solution and 3 rinses before cutting the frags off the plugs ?

6a16f8b3cae4334659465f53b7ca1035_zpsheei

Tiki room reworked again ???

f6d1f8fb0360b43f11f34304f1598869_zpsroug

6498a1f7cf32062155905c5ee22b6f19_zps0eib

• Like 12

Yup, that's what I was thinking - Sunday could be "fire sale" day......."you know you don't want to ship that back home"

You can also miss alot of the cooler stuff with that thinking as well so its always best to go at the begining and just stick around for the end and snag the fire deals on the stuff you want but can wait for and grab up the irresistible pieces from go ;)

Looking really good man. Love your shots as usual! Keep an eye on that pavona and give it space they have a nasty sting to them as well. Tiki room :wub::wub::wub::wub: lol

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

You can also miss alot of the cooler stuff with that thinking as well so its always best to go at the begining and just stick around for the end and snag the fire deals on the stuff you want but can wait for and grab up the irresistible pieces from go ;)

Looking forward to seeing what you picked up for sure :)

Just posted up my scores-you posted while I was writing it up. ya I was out of town till Sunday so I never saw what I missed- probably a good thing but the prices I got these for was really nice. Couple of these were originally 100.00 pieces and they are really small frags so I was stoked for the discount

nice pick ups! i did the same 2 years ago at the Chicago Aquatic show. Went on Sunday and stayed till closing to score some sweet deals.

Yup- works out well- just posted up my scores as you posted ?

Looking really good man. Love your shots as usual! Keep an eye on that pavona and give it space they have a nasty sting to them as well. Tiki room :wub::wub::wub::wub: lol

Ya, I saw that with the Pavona- didn't realize sps could do that- LPS yes but not sps- little sucker sends out 1/2" stingers- luckily nothing is that close. Any other sps do that- I've never seen it from any others

Just posted up my scores-you posted while I was writing it up. ya I was out of town till Sunday so I never saw what I missed- probably a good thing but the prices I got these for was really nice. Couple of these were originally 100.00 pieces and they are really small frags so I was stoked for the discount

Yup- works out well- just posted up my scores as you posted

Ya, I saw that with the Pavona- didn't realize sps could do that- LPS yes but not sps- little sucker sends out 1/2" stingers- luckily nothing is that close. Any other sps do that- I've never seen it from any others

Yeah you got some really nice pieces.... I'm hoping that "J. Fox red Shortcake" does good for you, I'd like to see it grown out ;)

I don't count pavona with sps its a nasty critter LOL Hydnophora is another nasty one, grows fast too.

• Like 1

Thanks for linking me to the new tank. I do lurk on NR from time to time now that my tank is down, but I cannot get away from my addiction.

Anyways, I will be following along.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Been gone all week, new frags are doing well but the red shortcake and Xmas mirabellis have browned out but showing really good PE. I think it has to be lack of nutrients. Been feeding everyday but no nitrates are registering and algae is slow to no growth. Bumped my lighting up a few %. Skimmer is working but not greatA still alittle frustrated with that. Need to do the mod that Water Dog sent to me. No fish in this tank yet- it would be helpful to move them over but probably not this weekend.

Quick iPhone shots

ba53243f4d68cd7e9a92c83d4d7147e7_zpsi9qq

Season's is taking off!

bd27956c40db42cef843b851eb780d9f_zpsw6mt

• Like 5
Sk8n Reefer

Get a few fish and just give it a few weeks to really get settled. The birdsnest is looking insane!

-Dave

Ya just those two frags are being temperamental but their PE is really good. I have two clowns and my tailspot to transfer but want to wait till after next week when I am not gone all week. Bubblegum and pinky are still holding good color ? All other corals are doing great. I raised the blues up 2% yesterday and another % today. I also added 15min. To the length of my day!
  • Like 6
Sk8n Reefer

Some shots from today

Season's little side pocket

TH7eGzB.jpg

MrSuNuF.jpg

Purple rim green cap

e0qu3Yj.jpg

Rm81SPv.jpg

Grafted cap

EYDat2H.jpg

Bubblegum Mille

JO9Y6pI.jpg

Into the tiki room ?

Skp25BJ.jpg

jKoQRMK.jpg

sgqYlO2.jpg

Eb9ZQvC.jpg

• Like 9

Everything is looking great, Scott!!! I'm loving your new tank already. Considering that you're moving from the 16 to the 50, it amazes me at how HUGE those colonies still look :lol: I don't know how you fit all you did in that Nuvo :)

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Excellent. :D

Love the little seasons greetings with all the fan worms.

Thanks Mark, fan worms are taking over? Gonna start testing potassium now- have you been dosing that at all?

Looking good - I love that shot entering the tiki room :)

? Thanks Man, ya the GoPro provides such a unique view ?

Everything is looking great, Scott!!! I'm loving your new tank already. Considering that you're moving from the 16 to the 50, it amazes me at how HUGE those colonies still look :lol: I don't know how you fit all you did in that Nuvo :)

Thanks Stellablue! Good idea on having patience with the skimmer- not coffee colored but getting there today. It's working a little better. I looked for the shrimp goby pair yesterday but no luck. Still need to finish transferring- my purple stylo and Idaho grape will look good over here along with the fish? I look back at some of the old Nuvo shots when it was packed and wonder that myself ?

• Like 4

Such wonderful photography of the coral and tiki room! I am always amazed at the texture your camera catches when you take pics of your coral. Like everyone else it is hard to believe all that came out of the nuvo, ha ha! And your patience is to be commended Scott. Because of my dedicated electrical circuit I have done so many complete tank transfers in hours, which puts everything at risk. I admire the systematic approach that you used for this transfer.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Such wonderful photography of the coral and tiki room! I am always amazed at the texture your camera catches when you take pics of your coral. Like everyone else it is hard to believe all that came out of the nuvo, ha ha! And your patience is to be commended Scott. Because of my dedicated electrical circuit I have done so many complete tank transfers in hours, which puts everything at risk. I admire the systematic approach that you used for this transfer.

Thanks Dawn, I do love the macro shots too? It has been a "controlled" (sounds better than slow ?) transfer. I do need to get my fish over to complete the move along with a few more corals! So far everyone has done really good so I've been lucky that way!

• Like 3

Thanks Mark, fan worms are taking over Gonna start testing potassium now- have you been dosing that at all?

No dosing or testing. When the tank went south I stopped everything but water changes since I wasn't sure what the heck was going on.

• Like 1

Thanks Dawn, I do love the macro shots too It has been a "controlled" (sounds better than slow ) transfer. I do need to get my fish over to complete the move along with a few more corals! So far everyone has done really good so I've been lucky that way!

Ha ha, you mean "so far everyone has done really good because of the deliberate actions you took!" Sounds better than lucky, LOL.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Might try to move over the clowns and tailspot to the 50 this weekend ?- might- don't want to move to fast ?Hoping this Mille can keep going - still coloring up

QqVv7N4.jpg

Pink Mille

puSSVI4.jpg

Bubblegum from the side showing some good PE

f53uL2M.jpg

Pink stylo

JcVx6N5.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest

z1BvOFp.jpg

• Like 4